Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need marine speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Do I need marine speakers?

I am steps away from having speaker lids on my RKC (I switched to hard bags). I have the 6x9 speaker lids. I have the amp, the bags and lids are getting painted as we speak.

Here is my question. I was originally going to go with the Kicker 40ps694 because it is a "marine" speaker that is waterproof. However I am looking at other threads and posts and people just seem to be using car speakers in the lids.

Am I able to put a pair of car speakers in there without having to buy "marine speakers"? I can get a better overall rated speaker for half the money.

Thoughts?

Old 09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
yank721
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The whole marine thing isn't really water proof! Get some water repellent cloth and put in between the speaker and the mount and that should do it.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:41 PM
rysonn
Road Captain

Ok, thanks. I am looking at two different speakers right now.

The Kicker 41KSC694
and the Infinity Reference X REF-9602ix

Both seems like good options for a 2 way in the lids. Was just wondering if they would get ruined

Old 09-06-2016, 08:50 PM
yank721
Tourer

I have never used nor heard either of those speakers so I can't comment on them! I take it the 6x9's will be the only speaks you have? Or do you have an aftermarket fairing your using? I really like the pioneer pros I'm running now and think they would do really well back there just not sure how well they would do as a stand alone speak, but with the horn in the middle IMHO they will be good. I'm sure some of the gurus will chime in gann, haze, sly!!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 AM
rysonn
Road Captain

I do not have a fairing, no. They would be stand alone. Of course I understand that at higher speeds I won't hear much but we live in the daytona beach area so we do a lot of local rides and bike events so not a lot of highway riding so I should be fine in that regard. The amp is 2502X2 so should be plenty of power.

I used to have the kuryakun speakers mounted on my bars and even those were fairly loud and nowhere near that kind of wattage.

Plus even at higher speeds my wife will just ride hers slightly behind me so she will still hear the music just fine. hahaha

Old 09-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by yank721
The whole marine thing isn't really water proof! Get some water repellent cloth and put in between the speaker and the mount and that should do it.
Stand alone lids with ANY 6x9 speakers are going to be tough to hear going down the road. The Pioneer pros are very loud with the horn and that will help some. But since you don't do a lot of highway riding it could work out in your case. As Yank said. Get some Hydrophobic cloth from cycle sounds and spray it down with Kiwi camp dry to keep your speakers dry. Tough on an RK but I'd at least start thinking about a set of speakers somewhere up front to balance out the sound.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:54 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

FWIW, I run Pioneer TS 6902's. Not marine rated. Hogtunes lids with no sort of barrier. Coming up on three years with zero issues. Most modern speakers have some type of synthetic cone material that isn't affected by water. That said, if on a trip I'll carry a roll of painters tape and tape over the grills if I see I'm headed into rain, but several times I've been caught unprepared. More than once I've had to soak up water out of the bags. YMMV.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Stand alone lids with ANY 6x9 speakers are going to be tough to hear going down the road. The Pioneer pros are very loud with the horn and that will help some. But since you don't do a lot of highway riding it could work out in your case. As Yank said. Get some Hydrophobic cloth from cycle sounds and spray it down with Kiwi camp dry to keep your speakers dry. Tough on an RK but I'd at least start thinking about a set of speakers somewhere up front to balance out the sound.
Hey Gann, Where do I put the fabric in that scenario?

Last edited by Fatherwayne; 09-12-2016 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM
yank721
Tourer

Sand which the cloth in between the speaker and the mount is one option ( I did this) or you can cut it to fit the inside of the grill and attach it there with some glue or upholstery spray glue?

Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by yank721
Sand which the cloth in between the speaker and the mount is one option ( I did this) or you can cut it to fit the inside of the grill and attach it there with some glue or upholstery spray glue?
I use the sandwich method Yank speaks of. I tried the upholstery spay method on the grill but if u cannot guarantee a very very light spray u will clog the hell out of the grill hole potentially blocking sound penetration.

T.

Quick Reply: Do I need marine speakers?