Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer and install help for BT4180

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 PM
jcmer22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer and install help for BT4180

Hey guys, I'm very new to the audio game and have done quite a bit of research, but I'm still confused about a few things. I have a 2016 SGS and I'm adding hertz hcx 690 in the bags, mpx 163.5 in the fairing and the BT4180 with line levelers. Can some help me with the procedure starting with the dealer.
I know I need to take the bike to the dealer and ask for the stock ultra flash. (0 amps 4 speakers/ 2 fairing 2 rear pods)
Should I do this before I install the amp and speakers?
When should I flash to 1.19.0? And how do I do that?
Do I need to do a reset after on the head unit?
Any help with the order of procedure will be a huge help.

John

Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmer22
Hey guys, I'm very new to the audio game and have done quite a bit of research, but I'm still confused about a few things. I have a 2016 SGS and I'm adding hertz hcx 690 in the bags, mpx 163.5 in the fairing and the BT4180 with line levelers. Can some help me with the procedure starting with the dealer.
I know I need to take the bike to the dealer and ask for the stock ultra flash. (0 amps 4 speakers/ 2 fairing 2 rear pods)
Should I do this before I install the amp and speakers?
When should I flash to 1.19.0? And how do I do that?
Do I need to do a reset after on the head unit?
Any help with the order of procedure will be a huge help.

John
You will want the dealer to do a stock Ultra flash to the HU. 0 amps, 4 speaker and enable Fade Control the rear speaker outputs. You can do this before or after the install. If you have it done after the install it just won't sound all that good until it's flashed.

Software version 1.19.0 is a software update, not a flash. You can do this yourself.

Yes, you will want to reset the HU after updating the software.
The Reset instructions can be found in this Biketronics article.

Update from BT: I wanted to make it known that we did find one drawback to the Reset procedure where if you have the AUX-in P&A accessory, it will remove the aux source choice from the radio. This will then require a trip to the Dealer to turn on the AUX-in source.

The pre-calibration reset will remove all user setting made to the radio/nav and put them back to factory defaults. This will include GPS destination. Here's a good thread with instructions on exporting and importing user created destinations and maps before performing the reset.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 PM
jcmer22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
You will want the dealer to do a stock Ultra flash to the HU. 0 amps, 4 speaker and enable Fade Control the rear speaker outputs. You can do this before or after the install. If you have it done after the install it just won't sound all that good until it's flashed.

Software version 1.19.0 is a software update, not a flash. You can do this yourself.

Yes, you will want to reset the HU after updating the software.
The Reset instructions can be found in this Biketronics article.

Update from BT: I wanted to make it known that we did find one drawback to the Reset procedure where if you have the AUX-in P&A accessory, it will remove the aux source choice from the radio. This will then require a trip to the Dealer to turn on the AUX-in source.

The pre-calibration reset will remove all user setting made to the radio/nav and put them back to factory defaults. This will include GPS destination. Here's a good thread with instructions on exporting and importing user created destinations and maps before performing the reset.
Thanks for the quick response, would you recommend I do the software update now so if I loose the aux in source I can have the dealer activate it when I have them flash the radio? If I do it like this I should obviously make it clear to them to not change the current software in the bike?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmer22
Thanks for the quick response, would you recommend I do the software update now so if I loose the aux in source I can have the dealer activate it when I have them flash the radio? If I do it like this I should obviously make it clear to them to not change the current software in the bike?
Do you have the 3.5mm Auxiliary Input Kit installed? If not then it's not a problem. If you do have it installed just remove it before preforming the reset. Then reinstall it.

And yes tell the dealer not to do a software update.