Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Biketronics speaker brackets "necessary"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:25 AM
08FXDL
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Are Biketronics speaker brackets "necessary"?

I'm still researching audio systems and I'm thinking hard about the Biketronics speaker brackets. I know I can get away with mounting speakers outside/inside the speaker pods but it seems like it's much easier to just buy the brackets and not worry about having to mod the pods to accept various speakers. Other than ease of installation do they offer any SQ benefits? For speakers I'm thinking either Arc Moto 602s or Hertz MPX 165.3s unless there's a better suggestion. I'm looking for speakers that aren't too bright with as much low frequency response as possible. For the time being I'm staying with just the fairing speakers, retaining the stock 6.5 headunit and using a BT355 leveler. For the amp I have a Cerwin Vega B54.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:10 PM
iceman101
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the BT brackets and are very happy with the end result. Kappa 62.11, arc KB125 and BT 355. Sound great after proper tuning

Old 09-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 08FXDL
I'm still researching audio systems and I'm thinking hard about the Biketronics speaker brackets. I know I can get away with mounting speakers outside/inside the speaker pods but it seems like it's much easier to just buy the brackets and not worry about having to mod the pods to accept various speakers. Other than ease of installation do they offer any SQ benefits? For speakers I'm thinking either Arc Moto 602s or Hertz MPX 165.3s unless there's a better suggestion. I'm looking for speakers that aren't too bright with as much low frequency response as possible. For the time being I'm staying with just the fairing speakers, retaining the stock 6.5 headunit and using a BT355 leveler. For the amp I have a Cerwin Vega B54.
The BT brackets are easier to install. They also allow the speakers to breath better and improves sound quality. The BT brackets will allow the BT 7.1 speakers and are also drilled for standard 6.5 speakers. BTW, there is a 15% discount this weekend at Biketronics.

The 602's and Mille Pros are both good speakers. The 602's need a lot of power to get loud and if you are going to use the CV B54 it would have to be bridged. The Mille Pros like around 150watts to shine which would require bridging the B54 also. The Mille Pros get loud also and deliver better sound quality. Using the B54 as a four channel amp would work best with 2ohm speakers.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:37 PM
08FXDL
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
The BT brackets are easier to install. They also allow the speakers to breath better and improves sound quality. The BT brackets will allow the BT 7.1 speakers and are also drilled for standard 6.5 speakers. BTW, there is a 15% discount this weekend at Biketronics.

The 602's and Mille Pros are both good speakers. The 602's need a lot of power to get loud and if you are going to use the CV B54 it would have to be bridged. The Mille Pros like around 150watts to shine which would require bridging the B54 also. The Mille Pros get loud also and deliver better sound quality. Using the B54 as a four channel amp would work best with 2ohm speakers.
I intended on bridging the amp either way so no issue there. If I ever decide to add a second pair I'll either add an amp or switch to a different one. Seems that you've used both the Moto 602s and the Mille Pros. Which do you like more? I've read lots of reviews on both today and it seems like either is a solid choice. What I've gathered is the Moto 602s have better bass but are also a bit brighter. The Mille Pros have a bit less bass but have better SQ and are warmer. Sound about right? Originally I was going to use Infinity 62.11i speakers but have almost ruled them out. I just don't think they'll have the low end punch I'm looking for.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts

My $0.02 on the brackets with my experience with Focal EC165Ks since i had them in the pods and in the BT bracket. Are they necessary, no. Did the Focals sound better, yes. The ease of changing speakers is almost worth the cost alone. I wanna say Babyboy made his own brackets, so there's always that route as well.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 08FXDL
I intended on bridging the amp either way so no issue there. If I ever decide to add a second pair I'll either add an amp or switch to a different one. Seems that you've used both the Moto 602s and the Mille Pros. Which do you like more? I've read lots of reviews on both today and it seems like either is a solid choice. What I've gathered is the Moto 602s have better bass but are also a bit brighter. The Mille Pros have a bit less bass but have better SQ and are warmer. Sound about right? Originally I was going to use Infinity 62.11i speakers but have almost ruled them out. I just don't think they'll have the low end punch I'm looking for.
I see you have done your research. Personally I like the Mille Pros because they are warmer and have better SQ IMO. I posted a couple of videos in this thread a while back. These were on a 08 SG with a BT amp and the Kenwood X998 HU. There is J&M Acoustic Pads installed on the inside of the outer fairing which help bring out some bass. Dynamat or Second Skin Damplifier will do as well or better as a sound deadener and at reducing vibrations.