Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:18 AM
11StreetTony
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ear plugs?

This may be a dumb question. I have been reading a lot on here and really have the itch to upgrade my Harley stereo. I have had high end equipment at home and in the car so I really appreciate good sound. But I do wear ear plugs when I ride. Will that make it not worth buying high end equipment? I definitely want it louder and clearer but it seems having fine detailed speakers will be a waste. Maybe there are better ear plugs?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:09 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

IMO ear plugs are good to get the wind noise out. It will be the same as it is now for your SGS with ear plugs.

Today riding I put in my cheap ear plugs and had no issues hearing the music at all. In fact on a few songs at 75+ MPH it sounded better. Curious to others opinions on this.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:31 PM
11StreetTony
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are my thoughts as well. I can hear the stereo with the ear plugs, but want to hear it better, and louder will be better. But will higher end speakers be a waste of money? Do you guys with top shelf systems wear ear plugs when you ride?

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Ill tell u right now that those of us with higher end systems do not and will not wear ear plugs. Juat wasting your money if u do.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:36 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Oh and i wear a half helmet most of the time too.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:11 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Call your local ENT and have a set of these made for you. They'll cut the wind noise, but still allow you to hear the music (sometimes better than no earplugs at highway speeds). Should cost about $150

https://www.westone.com/defendear/in...4rt&Itemid=114

Old 09-17-2016, 12:59 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Just coming off a 1800 mile trip I determined a few things:

- Stock or replacement speakers are useless for high speed / long distance riding
- Trying to hear your stereo at high speeds will eventually lead to some hearing loss
- Bike installed sound system is only good for static displays or low speed riding
- Why would you wear ear protection to hear your stereo?

Still having ringing in my ears from my last trip and having my ear canals on fire from the painful ear plugs I tried to use I started researching returning my new J&M Rokker speakers and a better solution to minimizing road, engine and wind noise while allowing me to hear QUALITY sounding music. In ear monitors (IEM) look to fit the bill. The IEM's are molded to your ears, offer 25 to 28 dB of noise isolation and provide quality sounding music. Been looking at Westone and JH Audio.

The catch? Price and compromising situational awareness. Prices run from $250 up to $2500 plus another $50 - $70 for having molds taken of your ears. Since this price range easily matches the price of upgrading the on board bike stereo its really not a factor.

Having such good sound isolation you may lose important audio cues such as horns blowing, tires screeching etc.

Since I use my bike more for long distance riding I am opting to sell my after market speakers and go with the IEM's. No more ringing ears, no more straining to try to make out the song I am trying to listen to and yes, possibly adding a bit more danger to an already dangerous way of life riding a motorcycle.

This is obviously the opinion of one man and please take it as such. We all have our own experiences and expectations when it comes to hearing protection and listening to music while riding a motorcycle.

Last edited by gabhart; 09-17-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling error
Old 09-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by gabhart
Just coming off a 1800 mile trip I determined a few things:

- Stock or replacement speakers are useless for high speed / long distance riding
- Trying to hear your stereo at high speeds will eventually lead to some hearing lose
- Bike installed sound system is only good for static displays or low speed riding
- Why would you wear ear protection to hear your stereo?

Still having ringing in my ears from my last trip and having my ear canals on fire from the painful ear plugs I tried to use I started researching returning my new J&M Rokker speakers and a better solution to minimizing road, engine and wind noise while allowing me to hear QUALITY sounding music. In ear monitors (IEM) look to fit the bill. The IEM's are molded to your ears, offer 25 to 28 dB of noise isolation and provide quality sounding music. Been looking at Westone and JH Audio.

The catch? Price and compromising situational awareness. Prices run from $250 up to $2500 plus another $50 - $70 for having molds taken of your ears. Since this price range easily matches the price of upgrading the on board bike stereo its really not a factor.

Having such good sound isolation you may lose important audio cues such as horns blowing, tires screeching etc.

Since I use my bike more for long distance riding I am opting to sell my after market speakers and go with the IEM's. No more ringing ears, no more straining to try to make out the song I am trying to listen to and yes, possibly adding a bit more danger to an already dangerous way of life riding a motorcycle.

This is obviously the opinion of one man and please take it as such. We all have our own experiences and expectations when it comes to hearing protection and listening to music while riding a motorcycle.
I rode for an hour yday with my new stereo at 80-90 mph. Had the volume turned up loud to hear it and at times it takes a while to work out the songs at the beginning of tracks. Didn't realise it until I got home but my ears were effected.

I know many on here will disagree with us (this is a stereo forum afterall) but for long higher speed rides, I'll be using my ear mold ear plugs and running my phone music through them. I run a long cable thru to my phone on the tank and my cable has a volume dial I can easily adjust when necessary. No wind noise and can hear music crystal clear and with bass at low volumes.

I'll use my bike stereo for around town or shorter higher speed rides.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:22 PM
myram
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I AGREE ! I just got back from 270 mile run and my ears were messed up.I may go with blue tooth set on highways.Lower volume less wind.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:26 PM
mndelrosario
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey OP, I bought a pair of these https://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Soni...5OG?th=1&psc=1

Cost me $12, takes out the wind noise while allowing stereo or comms to still come through. You can also close/open the plugs.

I wear these on longer rides and can still hear the stereo or take phone calls through my SENA with no issue.

Quick Reply: Ear plugs?