Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz Mille 163.5 & Diamond Amp Install - How to Mount Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 07:10 AM
vince321
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hertz Mille 163.5 & Diamond Amp Install - How to Mount Amp?

Hello All,

Trying to find someone local to do an install (Near Charlotte) has been surprisingly difficult. Garage Bagger will do it, but they want about $700 for a two speaker and amp install and we can't seem to coordinate schedules. I've also been in contact with Absolute Custom Cycles out of Denver, but he keeps pushing to install components I'm not interested in.

So, I'm back to doing this myself. However, prior to making a purchase would like to request input from the forum.

Do the Hertz speakers require pod removal or are they plug & play?

Where does the Diamond amp mount? My purchase will include 2 x speakers, 1 x amp, 1 x wiring harness and line leveler. I don't think there is a provision for an amp mounting plate?

Do I need anything else?

My bike is a 2016 Road Glide Special.

I've done plenty of searching but can't seem to find details on installing the above components.

Thanks for any help.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:07 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Have u purchased anything yet?

Which Diamond amp?

Which wiring harness?

Which LL?

T

Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 AM
vince321
Novice

It has not been purchased, still trying to figure out what I need.

Line leveler is Biketronics and speakers Hertz Coaxe Mille Pro 165.3 set. The amp is a Diamond Micro 4, bridged at 150w per channel. Although I'm not sure why the Micro 2 shouldn't be considered, it has more power? I haven't seen it discussed. Not sure on the Wire Harness, but have been told it's what is needed for the install.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:33 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

Depends on the amp, if it's a micro 4 or 2 you can put it in the cubbie next to the radio, no mounting plates needed. The 4 is a tight fit though, you will need to be creative with the wiring

If it's the new 800 amp, you can grind off the tabs on top of the headlight and fit it on there (run all the wiring under the radio, same as with the PN4.1000).

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Check the classified section. There is a BT2180 for sale and perfect for a 2 speaker set up.

See what this has in the kit (what bike it was intended for) then call BT and see what u need to make the classified BT2180 fit your sled. U might end up getting a an package from BT (forum discount plus the amp package comes w LLs included in price) with all the connectors, Line Leveler, and wiring that u need from them cheaper than if u piece meal. It all depends on what the classified amp package is as what price u can get it for.

I think on the RGS, u might consider some different speakers. Ur gonna need a little bit more out of the speaks as the RG front stage is a bit more of a challenge due to speaker location.

Check on that amp and then talk speaks. That BT set up is damn easy to install and all the install parts will be readily available w lifetime warranty.

T.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM
vince321
Novice

I thought about the BT amp and maybe that would work best, especially considering the help and input from the BT staff.

I've also considered the Arc Moto MPAK 12 kit that comes with everything, but can't find someone to sell it to me. One online vendor gave me a price, but hasn't responded since.

The last setup I've considered is a Soundz Customz, they will install for free, but getting to a rally on my schedule is not easy.

What speaker setup on the Road Glide do you recommend? I'm totally open and willing to spend $$ if needed for the best two channel system.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by vince321
What speaker setup on the Road Glide do you recommend? I'm totally open and willing to spend $$ if needed for the best two channel system.
This will get you started: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...WFUeCMudmB9OJw

it all depends on what you want out of a system.

After testing for the last 9 month with all these setups, for me, the best is pro audio speakers with horns and the M770's in the rear. It's whats giving me the sound I crave.

The Focal's were the best sound quality of anything I tried, but for me, they weren't loud enough on the road.

The Moto 602's had the best thump (when fed 200 watts from a bridged TM400 ) and I should have probably just stopped here and been happy.

I'm going to have a video hopefully by the end of the weekend with my newest PA setup, I'm really looking forward to finally getting it all buttoned up and rolling (just in time for the hurricane that's inbound lol)

Old 08-24-2016, 09:22 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Man, I really think that one shop that was talking u into components was on to something. I gage tried most of the coax speaks and the components just blow them away.
Depending on the sound u r desiring we can get u in a great spot. All u will need are the RG grills that accommodate the tweet. Simple install.
Hertz, Focal, JL C5, etc. plenty of very good options and one and done cause I think u will grow out of those Millie Pros pretty fast in the RG fairing. Good speak but eventually u will want more.

T

Old 08-24-2016, 09:40 AM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Vince did you not get my message? Sorry if it didn't go through.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:31 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by vince321
Hello All,

Trying to find someone local to do an install (Near Charlotte) has been surprisingly difficult. Garage Bagger will do it, but they want about $700 for a two speaker and amp install and we can't seem to coordinate schedules. I've also been in contact with Absolute Custom Cycles out of Denver, but he keeps pushing to install components I'm not interested in.

So, I'm back to doing this myself. However, prior to making a purchase would like to request input from the forum.

Do the Hertz speakers require pod removal or are they plug & play?

Where does the Diamond amp mount? My purchase will include 2 x speakers, 1 x amp, 1 x wiring harness and line leveler. I don't think there is a provision for an amp mounting plate?

Do I need anything else?

My bike is a 2016 Road Glide Special.

I've done plenty of searching but can't seem to find details on installing the above components.

Thanks for any help.
If you post were you are located maybe someone on here is close to you that can give you a hand or recommend some one close to you on the install if you don't want to tackle it yourself

Quick Reply: Hertz Mille 163.5 & Diamond Amp Install - How to Mount Amp?