Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Focal Kps components with HAT components!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Replaced Focal Kps components with HAT components!

I have been eyeing the Legatia components for quite a while, but have been out of my price range. I decided to take CVOJOE's offer to forum members to try the Legatia speaks for a great price! I ended up getting the L6SE midbass 7.1, the Clarus tweeter, and Unity X-over to try on the ole scoot! I really wanted to try the Legatia L1v2 tweeter, but I needed a surface mount tweeter to mount high on my inner fairing (that flat spot right below the windshield on the outside of the inner fairing) and the L1V2 does not have a surface mount cup so I settled for the Unity tweeter which I thought would be pretty good and it was, but I would still like to try the L1V2 if I can figure out a way to mount it (make a custom surface mt. cup?) I like the tweets up high with a direct path to my ears! I'm running 4 sets of speakers in parallel off a BT 4180 and the KPS components were not quite as loud as the BT HAT's in my lowers, TP pods, and lids (Focals were 91 db sensitivity while all the HAT's were 93 db) The L6SE was 92.5 db and the Clarus component was 93db efficient so I thought they would give me more volume from the fairing! While I was repacing said speakers I also finished Dynamating my inner fairing, outer was done a few weeks ago, along with better RCA,s of course! The Legatia's are great sounding speakers very accurate, as were the $1000. Kps components which I got open box for around $300 from Sonic about 4 yrs ago, but the increase in volume I was looking for just did not materialize!! I have come to the conclusion that in order for these great speaks to sound as loud as I want them to, I must add another amp, running them in parallel with approx. 115 rms from the 4180 is not enough!! Thinking of adding a 4 channel amp under the hood with adjustable gains, and moving the 4180 to the tour pak and letting it run my rear speakers! My question to the Guru's is what amp to add, I'm thinking the Arc 4/600, RF T400x4 ...any other suggestion will be appreciated!! AD design maybe? MM

Old 08-17-2016, 12:36 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I have been eyeing the Legatia components for quite a while, but have been out of my price range. I decided to take CVOJOE's offer to forum members to try the Legatia speaks for a great price! I ended up getting the L6SE midbass 7.1, the Clarus tweeter, and Unity X-over to try on the ole scoot! I really wanted to try the Legatia L1v2 tweeter, but I needed a surface mount tweeter to mount high on my inner fairing (that flat spot right below the windshield on the outside of the inner fairing) and the L1V2 does not have a surface mount cup so I settled for the Unity tweeter which I thought would be pretty good and it was, but I would still like to try the L1V2 if I can figure out a way to mount it (make a custom surface mt. cup?) I like the tweets up high with a direct path to my ears! I'm running 4 sets of speakers in parallel off a BT 4180 and the KPS components were not quite as loud as the BT HAT's in my lowers, TP pods, and lids (Focals were 91 db sensitivity while all the HAT's were 93 db) The L6SE was 92.5 db and the Clarus component was 93db efficient so I thought they would give me more volume from the fairing! While I was repacing said speakers I also finished Dynamating my inner fairing, outer was done a few weeks ago, along with better RCA,s of course! The Legatia's are great sounding speakers very accurate, as were the $1000. Kps components which I got open box for around $300 from Sonic about 4 yrs ago, but the increase in volume I was looking for just did not materialize!! I have come to the conclusion that in order for these great speaks to sound as loud as I want them to, I must add another amp, running them in parallel with approx. 115 rms from the 4180 is not enough!! Thinking of adding a 4 channel amp under the hood with adjustable gains, and moving the 4180 to the tour pak and letting it run my rear speakers! My question to the Guru's is what amp to add, I'm thinking the Arc 4/600, RF T400x4 ...any other suggestion will be appreciated!! AD design maybe? MM
Arc or diamond. You want headroom. If you need 200 per side for those get a amp rated so you have not only headroom, but some efficiency as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Slye he's not bridging it. Looks like fairing and lowers.

The Arc is louder than the Fosgate, the Fosgate is warmer. In your case I'd take the Arc. The new Diamond 800.4 may be another option as well, just pricey. The AD amps are only worth it if you're bridging them. I ran them for a few weeks and wasn't all that impressed. Good, not great and way too expensive.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:37 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
Slye he's not bridging it. Looks like fairing and lowers.

The Arc is louder than the Fosgate, the Fosgate is warmer. In your case I'd take the Arc. The new Diamond 800.4 may be another option as well, just pricey. The AD amps are only worth it if you're bridging them. I ran them for a few weeks and wasn't all that impressed. Good, not great and way too expensive.
I don't think those Hat will ever reach their potential at 150 per side. Am I overestimating what they are capable of? Seems to me this be a case of maybe at least anothet 4180.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Thanks Slye and Haze, Yeah I need the front amp to be adjustable (gains) so I can give more juice to the Hat components and a little less power to the Titan II 6.5's in the lowers! I don't see the 800.4 on Diamonds website?? the 4180 would be the ticket if it had gains, I'm leaning towards the Arc!

Last edited by Moto Mike; 08-17-2016 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-17-2016, 03:11 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Slye and Haze, Yeah I need the front amp to be adjustable (gains) so I can give more juice to the Hat components and a little less power to the Titan II 6.5's in the lowers! I don't see the 800.4 on Diamonds website?? the 4180 would be the ticket if it had gains, I'm leaning towards the Arc!
The arc is solid and proven. You have the x998 correct? If the 4180 had gains,screw terminals or anything besides push connect, and bridgeable with no modifications, I would have been all over it. Love to support a USA small company. Unfortunately for my install it just doesn't fit the bill either. Now keep in mind with the x998 you can drop each channel level down in either time alignment or through the xover gain. Food for thought.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:29 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
I don't think those Hat will ever reach their potential at 150 per side. Am I overestimating what they are capable of? Seems to me this be a case of maybe at least anothet 4180.
I agree Sly, I am running the same HAT's as Moto Mike and pushing them with 2 channels of the Moto 600.4 with the other 2 channels pushing the Moto 6.2's

The HAT's are just really starting to breathe at 3/4 to 7/8 Volume. I am assuming that is somewhere around 130 to 140 watts, I would love to have another 50-75 additional watts to push them with. The clarity and response of these speakers is great, but they want more power

I think another Moto 600.4 amp is going to have to happen

Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
azlou66
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Mike where did you land on this install?

Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by azlou66
Mike where did you land on this install?
azlou66, I'm in a holding pattern right now, till I can scrape up some money for another amp! After listening to the Legatia's for 5 days I really like how accurate they sound but I think for me to get the volume from them that I am looking for they will need more power. I would really like to try the L1V2 tweeter since I am running the Clarus tweet right now. I hope this answers your question, if not let me know!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Moto Mike
Give me a call I would like to hear this install you are doing. I have a few things I would like to throw at you anyhow and get your opinion.
BTW I'm working days the next 2 weeks so I'll be home by 3pm