Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie help with system

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Newbie help with system

I had a boom audio amp and stage 2 speakers put into my 2015 road glide. It sounds awful. The mids distort bad on a lot of songs. The dealership says just turn it down but that's not why I got a amp and speakers! I want full volume so it's clear as day at 80mph. Is it my amp or speakers that suck more? I don't have money to switch out both but really can't live with this system. Recommendations on changing to different speakers?

Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Dump it all and start over. Those speakers cant handle a good amp, and that amp can't push good speakers.

Lots of good information on here from people a lot smarter than me. And here they come.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

Yeah I keep thinking something is wrong but the dealership says they can't find anything wrong but on a lot of songs the mids buzz so bad. I don't know anything about audio systems and I can tell you this sounds like crap

Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
Yeah I keep thinking something is wrong but the dealership says they can't find anything wrong but on a lot of songs the mids buzz so bad. I don't know anything about audio systems and I can tell you this sounds like crap
I started to ask what bike but I now see its 2015 RG. You can change the speakers and amp on that system for about $400 bucks and it will sound 10X better. A Cerwin Vega B54 and 4 Polk MM651's or infinity kappas would solve your whole problem. If you don't have the cash at this present time you can help yourself by calling Biketronics and getting yourself a set of line levelers for your bike.

Last edited by Gannicus; 08-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:15 PM
yank721
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What gann needs to know, is this a road glide special? Ultra? 2 speaker set up or 4 speakers? If it's a special but has 4 speaks are they tour oak or lids?

Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by yank721
What gann needs to know, is this a road glide special? Ultra? 2 speaker set up or 4 speakers? If it's a special but has 4 speaks are they tour oak or lids?
Thanks Bro! Knowing those things always help!!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

Standard road glide. No touch screen. Just doing fairing speakers right now. Saving for saddlebag speakers too. I want saddle bag vs tour pak speakers so that I don't lose my speakers when I take tour pak off. I could probably spend $6-700 and sale some of this boom audio stuff to get cash back

Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Big Trucker,, sorry you found this forum too late, you can have a beautiful sounding system if you listen to these guys, click on the link in my signature... 15 RGS, (Same radio exactly, I just have the touch screen) That is 4 speakers, Bag lids and Faring, the tour pack ones are not hooked up yet.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sturgis67
Dump it all and start over. Those speakers cant handle a good amp, and that amp can't push good speakers.

Lots of good information on here from people a lot smarter than me. And here they come.
Sturgis67 was dead on point. There's been ongoing issues with the Boom II system since its inception. Guys initially like it because they hear it at the dealership in a controlled environment. Get the thing out on the road and it's a different story. You can do one or two things. Turn it down as the dealer suggest or dump the whole thing and start over. I guess my first question would be is How comfortable are you pulling the fairing off and installing your own amp and speakers?

It looks very intimidating at first but myself and several others here have walked guys through it that have never had the fairing off before. There's a lot of support right here on this forum to get you through it if you're willing to take on the challenge.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:58 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

What software version are you running, have you tried a system reset?

Quick Reply: Newbie help with system