Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie help with system

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Big trucker
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm running the newest update on the radio. I could install another amp and speakers I did the work on this one myself. The dealership just did the flash and corrected one connection I plugged into the wrong place.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
I'm running the newest update on the radio. I could install another amp and speakers I did the work on this one myself. The dealership just did the flash and corrected one connection I plugged into the wrong place.
Great News! I was thinking it was a dealer installed system judging from your first post.
So do you want to work with what you have or start over? I think you could help yourself by getting a Biketronics Line Leveler for starters. Probably the cheapest quick fix.

http://www.biketronics.com/bt355-hd-...r-2014-and-up/

Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Great News! I was thinking it was a dealer installed system judging from your first post.
So do you want to work with what you have or start over? I think you could help yourself by getting a Biketronics Line Leveler for starters. Probably the cheapest quick fix.

http://www.biketronics.com/bt355-hd-...r-2014-and-up/
What does the line leveler do? it would be an affordable starting point. I would prefer to not start over but if I do I would probably have to start with either the amp or speakers first. The switch out the other down the road when I have more money

Last edited by Big trucker; 08-16-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:36 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor
Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Big Trucker a BT355 Line level shifter is typically used to create an output from the factory head unit to an aftermarket amp. It also does a fantastic job of squashing the DSP settings built into the factory head unit. We use the BT 355 line level shifter on all of our installs that retain the factory head unit on 14 up bikes. However from what I understand of your issue I don't believe it will help you. The BT 355 coverts the Molex plug out of the Factory Head unit into RCA outputs to an aftermarket amp. I believe you have a BOOM audio amp which the Line Level shifter will not work with(to the best of my knowledge).

Old 08-16-2016, 01:52 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

How can I tell if the mids distorting on certain songs a problem with the amp or a problem with the speakers and why is it that some songs are crystal clear and others so distorted. All songs bought off if iTunes and played through usb

Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor

You could have a couple issues. 1. Not all songs are recorded at the same volume level Especially from iTunes. So some will play louder than other which is a problem with the BOOM head unit because of the DSP settings. Instead of focusing on clarity it focusing on power output to speakers. So when you turn up the volume at highway speeds it just send more power to the speaker instead of properly processing the signal. This causing distortion when you have a mid base or base heavy song. 2. The BOOM audio setup isn't really meant to overcome the harsh environment of the motorcycle at highway speed. It is meant to sound really good sitting still in the show room or cruising around town.

That being said I will tell you that for the money of BOOM audio there is a lot better stuff out there. What you decide to do is ultimately your decision but 99.9% of our customers choose to scrap boom and go with a good Hertz, DD Audio, or ARC setup instead.

The number one thing to remember is CLARITY. Harley attempted to get around that by just pumping power to a speaker and hoping it would be good enough.....sadly anyone that's been around audio will tell you that is a rookie mistake and fails every time.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

If I switch out amp can I still use the boom audio harness? Is there an adaotor or something?

Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 PM
BaddAzzBikes
Former Sponsor

Just switching out the amp will most likely cause you more problems that it will fix. The Harley system is a 2 ohm system. Most aftermarket amps will run at 2 ohm will produce WAY to much power for the little Harley speakers. I apologize if it sounds like I am just repeatedly giving you bad news but the honest truth of the matter is that BOOM only works right with BOOM and doesn't really like to play with any other components. That's why several guys asked you if you wanted to start over or not because that is the route most people in you situation go.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Big trucker
Road Captain

No man you're fine. Not bad news. I Just have to be more patient to get this right. So I would need new amp, bracket, harness and speakers correct. What else do I need to go after market?

Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Get it done right the first time......done.....Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Newbie help with system