Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer flash adventures (BT and/or RF reps please see)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016 | 10:29 PM
Ragz Ultra
|
Cruiser
Default Dealer flash adventures (BT and/or RF reps please see)

Ok so as a bit of an experiment I took my bike to my local dealer to do the flash setup to flatten the eq curve that RF recommends. My bike is an ultra and had the 4 speaker no amp originally. I have the bt 4180 amp and ll's. Initially the service manager said it was a no go due to a software change but the lead mech I go to said he would give it a try. The reason I had them do it is I didn't have any perceptible tone control change at all and wanted to see if the flash would change it. They started with the 1 amp 4 speakers and went with all the configurations they had. With the recommended setup I lost rear speakers. From there it went to 4 speakers, then gained some treble but no fade to adding a little bass control but still no fade. Each flash eliminated the fade control which I think is expected on a rushmore. So now I'm on the boom 2 2 amp 8 speaker setup.
Bike sounds pretty good on accessory and can turn all the way up with no distortion. Kick the engine on and the 2nd bin reduces the volume quite a bit.

Long story short it does seem that the software to update has changed. I know I'm going to have to go back and re flash to stock more than likely unless there is a flash that works.

Does anyone know if the bt ll's affect the tone control? If so has anyone adjusted the hpf with good results? Any ideas on getting some tone control?

Old 08-06-2016 | 10:57 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Did u have the BT355s installed when this experiment was taking place?

First off I'm thinking that if u tinker with the RF or Soundz flash strategies, which do not use the LLs, you might have to follow that footprint in order to achieve the results they call successful.

As for the fade, Bunker is way deep into this right now so hopefully he will chime in on this. Losing fade for me is a deal breaker. Going to save my energy and bucks for now and ride this Rushmore HU like a rented mule until the replacement HU comes out, which I am being told is not too far down the road.

T.

Old 08-06-2016 | 11:02 PM
Ragz Ultra
|
Cruiser

TW
Yes I had them in when flashing. I don't think I've ever really had much tone control I do have some now that is detectable before you could go end to end and not tell a difference with the bass or treble

Old 08-06-2016 | 11:05 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army

you needed to remove the LL's when using a flash or use the LL's when not flashed (by that I mean stock). You can adjust the HPF's as needed on your LL's to get the sound you like.....I found the stock settings are really damn close to just right and could easily notice a difference when raising or lowering bass/treble.

Old 08-06-2016 | 11:13 PM
Ragz Ultra
|
Cruiser

Haze
If the flash flattens the eq curve and the ll's are installed wouldn't that just enable you to adjust gains and hpf to the 4180 slightly? I may be wrong but isn't the 4180 a summing amp and why there are no settings?
My thinking was if the flash removed the stock curve that the ll's are supposed to remove I would gain or improve somewhat the tone control and could tweak with the ll's

I haven't had any tone control since I installed the ll's and maybe not before then if I did it wasn't even perceptible

Old 08-07-2016 | 07:46 AM
Gooey2
Tourer

Well I just got the RF sheets on install with their flash solutions. I am interested in this as well but you've got me questioning whether or not. I've recently installed a new amp SS 4 1000. And have had problems with right fairing speaker sounds great in the garage but sounds blown on the road. God all mighty I've re wired and checked checked connections again and again. Today I'm going to secure the aluminum plate I made to the bike to eliminate vibration. I'd like to see where this RF post goes, I'd love to remove LL's just less moving parts sounds better to me.

Old 08-07-2016 | 07:56 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Any flash other than stock or stock ultra results in the loss of fader. Now if you're NOT using a BT amp, you can use the gains on the amp to adjust front to rear (just turn down the front to where you want to match if you like, I didn't do that)

I've used; Stock RG, Stock Ultra, "Fosgate" (1 amp 4 speakers) and "Soundz Customz" (2 amp 8 speakers) flashes.

The line levelers have a capacitor in them to squash the bass boost which is around 26db at stock flash level. I suspect this "boost" is lessened with each "amp" flash increase. So as the Boom amps are added and flashed, the need for a bass "boost" is also lessened.

I'm not sure how you test this but I'm pretty sure this is the case though just by ear.

As for why you don't have tone control, I've had tone control with ever flash (I'm assuming you're talking bass and treble on the HU?) not sure why you wouldn't have that. Does the BT amp only use the front channels and the amp splits the signal? I know I can do that with the 600.4 but I actually use 4 channels in, not sure if that would make a difference with the flashes.

If you want to tune with LL's Bertk is the man, he's tested extensively with tuning on the LL's and I'm sure will read this thread and comment.

Let us know what happens, I'm interested in seeing what happens. I've become obsessed with this damn thing and determined to make it work at the cost of my sanity it looks like

Old 08-07-2016 | 01:22 PM
Ragz Ultra
|
Cruiser

Well what do you guys think, should I try upping the gains on the ll's and lowering the high pass? I remember a conversation I had with Bill at BT a few months ago and he mentioned that with amps that have a lp/full/HP setting that you should run it on full. Otherwise you're basically doubling down on the high pass. The gains on my ll's is at factory setting and I'm thinking if I up it like babyboy and others found I may get better volume at speed. I wish you could disable that 2nd bin file

Old 08-07-2016 | 01:35 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

The best thing u can do regarding the LLs is to pop the hood, turn the LL gains all the way counterclockwise or off, set the HU volume at 3/4 with your favorite hard hitting tune, then slowly bring the gains up to the point u even think u might be hearing some distortion then back the gains of a click and ur good. Bet 1 o'clock is where u will end up. Now it he the gains set do the same with the LL HPF. I bet u a beer u will end up being within a red vagina hair from the default setting.
Verify the gain settings with a DMM to make sure ur not pressing the spec limits of the speaker, then ride on!!!

T.

Old 08-07-2016 | 01:53 PM
Ragz Ultra
|
Cruiser

No gain or filter settings on a 4180 amp

Quick Reply: Dealer flash adventures (BT and/or RF reps please see)