Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB cable secure options

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:39 AM
nineball
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default USB cable secure options

looking to see what others may have done in a similar situation.

i have a pioneer hu with dual rear usb connections. both of them have vibrated loose over time from the hu and need to be pushed back in, so i am trying to brainstorm to come up with something to help hold them in place (i have to take apart the fairing to install the new mirrors anyway this weekend since it will be raining). i've never run into this problem in my car audio days as the level of vibration is no where near the same.

i'm not really keen on something like taping them to the hu chassis as i don't want to put any excess strain on the connection and possibly damage that over time (like when your headphone jack doesn't work and you have to tape the cord down). i am really missing my old jvc that had a screw built into the usb cable end to secure it to the hu.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:43 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Silicon glue, or zip tie em in place. If all else fails, duct tape.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:56 AM
nineball
Tourer

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Silicon glue, or zip tie em in place. If all else fails, duct tape.

not keen on putting silicon or glue on the connection but that may be the only option. zipties would do no good (nor would there be anywhere to ziptie the ends to, see photo below) and not going to tape them based on my original post about the headphone jack problem.

just had a (hopefully) great idea. i have a roll of industrial strength velcro at the shop. i'll put a piece on the side of the two cable ends when they are plugged in and another on the side of the radio chassis. i'll cut a strip of the opposite side of the velcro and bridge the gap with it from cable to chassis. shouldn't put any extra strain on the cable connections but it should stop them from vibrating out. i'll snap some shots this weekend for illustration purposes.

if anyone comes up with a better solution in the next 48 hours please post. thanks.

Attached Thumbnails USB cable secure options-capture.jpg  

Last edited by nineball; 07-28-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:17 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

You should have enough friction between the cable and the port for that not to happen. I would buy a few cables since they don't make a locking style like sata and hdmi cables can get, and find one that fits tight. OR redneck it and put a TINY dab of gel superglue on the outside edge of the cable before inserting.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:55 PM
nineball
Tourer

one of the cables was a stock apple cord, the other was the one that came with the hu (basically a usb extension cable). they both vibrated out after a couple months. i'm going to give the velcro option a shot first and resort to glue or silicon as a last resort.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 491 Likes on 312 Posts

dab of hot glue

you can peel it off when needed

Old 07-28-2016, 03:04 PM
nineball
Tourer

good call. forgot about that.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:34 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm surprised this issue hasn't popped up more on here.

I did a bit of research on head units and worried about rear usb cable coming loose on plug-in usb cables. I'd hate having to remove the fairing to replug in each time. I went with the Sony mex-70bt head unit for a few reasons, one of which was the rear usb connection appears to be hard wired into the unit with a lead that has a female usb plug at the end to plug your own device or stick into.

Doesn't solve op's problem but something to consider for others

Old 07-31-2016, 09:42 PM
nineball
Tourer

the stock pioneer usb extension cable had vibrated loose just enough to not function. the iphone cord was completely out of the socket. i ended up using the velcro idea. here is a shot of both cables plugged in if you look closely you can see the velcro piece spanning both of them on the backside:

here is the other side with one side of the velcro attached to the cables as a whole and one on the chassis:

and a strip of the other side of the velcro holding them in place for the future:

should do the trick and it does not place any unwanted stress on the usb ports/cables. hopefully this may help out someone else in the future.