Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in depth setting question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:47 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts
Default in depth setting question

im probably gonna be all over the map with this but here goes. got my new wires form knu and still had the miswiring message, installed a new HU and everything is working fine. it had been awhile since i messed with the settings on the amp the amp and HU but while i was chasing down the error i changed all kinds of stuff and messed with every button or **** in the amp. Current set up is b2 amp,kappas and kenwood kdcbt420. on the amp should the x over be on hp,flat or lp, i believe i had it on flat before. i took my flash drive out and used the mp3 gain tool that bates posted about to get all my songs the same volume level, the sound was wreaking havoc when tuning due to one song being loud as hell and the next not. next question i guess i more involved. the frequencies for various settings . i go to eq pro and get settings like mid ctr frq with 2.5khz(for example) and lower. me not knowin anything really i just go thru all the settings and tweak each one untill i get a sound i like which usually takes me forever. are there any frequency levels i should avoid. or is my amateur way safe lol, bass mids and highs will be the death of me..it seems as if i cant get the sound i had prior the head unit messing up. if it helps i can post every setting for all the different categories

Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by decencyxdefied
im probably gonna be all over the map with this but here goes. got my new wires form knu and still had the miswiring message, installed a new HU and everything is working fine. it had been awhile since i messed with the settings on the amp the amp and HU but while i was chasing down the error i changed all kinds of stuff and messed with every button or **** in the amp. Current set up is b2 amp,kappas and kenwood kdcbt420. on the amp should the x over be on hp,flat or lp, i believe i had it on flat before. i took my flash drive out and used the mp3 gain tool that bates posted about to get all my songs the same volume level, the sound was wreaking havoc when tuning due to one song being loud as hell and the next not. next question i guess i more involved. the frequencies for various settings . i go to eq pro and get settings like mid ctr frq with 2.5khz(for example) and lower. me not knowin anything really i just go thru all the settings and tweak each one untill i get a sound i like which usually takes me forever. are there any frequency levels i should avoid. or is my amateur way safe lol, bass mids and highs will be the death of me..it seems as if i cant get the sound i had prior the head unit messing up. if it helps i can post every setting for all the different categories
That is a older unit so info is limited. I took the time to find manual. The internal filter is 100hz at lowest hpf. That will be fine but I prefer a tad lower. Since you then have to tune the amp by ear you need to error on the side of less than more bass in that case. Leave the internal filter off, amp hpf , adjust to as I stated . As far as adjustment bass +2, mid 0, treb +3. Use that as a start. May have to drop treble to +2 and bass to +1. Only you can make that choice. This should give you a good baseline to start.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:55 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

^ everything Slye said.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Those basic settings I can manage..for example. Eq pro has bass ctr frq 60 to 200hz bass level +-8,bass q factor100-200 bass extend off and on, about the same for mid, treble is just level and ctr frq, then there lpf sub settings that go from through to 160hz,hps is through to 150hz,and sound reconstruction.. I don't expect anyone to give recommendations for every singlr thing lol but when I see those factors I have no idea if100hz on one setting is bad or good on another

Old 07-11-2016, 09:21 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm not sure if it'll help but I can go thru everything and write it down.. Maybe I'm thinkin too far into it but I know I don't have top of the line equipment, so I'd like to keep it workin untill I cnn upgrade.. I always question my work, I'm just a cheap shade tree fixer upper.. I listen to heavy metal kinda stuff which has alotnof heavy distortion sounds.. I myself find it hard to tell between that and speaker distortion lol

Old 07-11-2016, 09:23 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Those basic settings I can manage..for example. Eq pro has bass ctr frq 60 to 200hz bass level +-8,bass q factor100-200 bass extend off and on, about the same for mid, treble is just level and ctr frq, then there lpf sub settings that go from through to 160hz,hps is through to 150hz,and sound reconstruction.. I don't expect anyone to give recommendations for every singlr thing lol but when I see those factors I have no idea if100hz on one setting is bad or good on another
I looked at the manual again. I don't like the eq pro setup personally for using on a bike from the available settings. Typically I always use the lower range of boost that is a given option. So example 60hz on the bass,.5k mid,and 10k for treble. The given options since not in an actual graphic eq limits refinement and may make your tuning even more difficult. I personally would avoid eq pro for now, set as I stated and go from there. Sound reconstruction iirc is to aid poor mp3 quality. That can be set to on and see how it performs. I have found that setting to do well. If not ideal after on turn back off.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

Alright I'll reset all the settings, start over and report back.. On the amp gains a little less than half.. X over on hp and freq around 80?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member

Alright I'll reset all the settings, start over and report back.. On the amp gains a little less than half.. X over on hp and freq around 80?
Xover and FREQ correct, I cant tell you where to set amp gains. A test tone and dmm or your ear will be the judge there. Remember once it gets loud and you get that feeling to not know if you should go further, trust that feeling. Turn the dial SLOWLY.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily worry about where the gains "should" be. Adjust them by ear till you get distortion then back them down. It is what it is.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member

That what I've followed in the past.. Used sticky nutz.. I mean nutz sticky to do it by ear. Thanks for the help.. I'll get back 2morrow

Quick Reply: in depth setting question