Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Up-Grade 2016 FLTRU

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Using the BT 4180 amp what would be the best speaker combo for the front and rears? Is there a such thing as a good economy speaker? I have been told that the BT 6.5" Titans would be a disappointment. Being looking at Focal and Arc Audio as those seem to be the most referenced here?

Old 07-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I spoke briefly with Bethany At Biketronics Friday and had her e-mail me a quote for the components we discussed. I'm a Parts Manager at a marine dealership and I work the same hours as pretty much anyone I want to discuss something with. So, calling up a company to discuss something at length is Difficult. Bethany and I exchanged several E-mails till I had pretty much all the info I wanted:

BT465 Front Speakers

BT4180.15RG Amplifier.

This .15RG is a package designed specifically for the Rushmore Road Glides, it includes the BT4180 amp, the amp mounting bracket for the Rushmore Road Glides, Line levers for both front and rear speakers and required RCA and electrical cables.

BTBOC $89.95

The BTBOC is basically a splicer wiring harness that goes between the Boom Stereo and Stereo Harness. The harness turns this into pretty much a plug and play system.

As Stated before Biketronics recommends the Alpine SPR-60 for the rear.

Biketronics is having a 4th of July Sale and the sale runs through July 5th.

I spent some time reading through all the instruction for installation of all the items I'm looking to install. Everything looks to be straight forward and nothing appears to be difficult.

The one area that did bring up some questions in my mind was the front speaker installation. The instructions state to remove the speaker enclosures, disassemble and seal the mating surfaces and reassemble.

I have read several posts about applying sound deadening material to the outside of the speaker enclosures. I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to doing this to the inside of the enclosure. I'm thinking putting the material on the inside of the enclosure would be a better environment for the material. I can see a little loss of the internal area of the enclosures with this method but would there be any other negatives.

The only possible short fall in the system and it's design I can see is using the bike's per-existing speaker wiring. Is this wiring up to the task for this much power. Is the factory wiring going cause a loss in performance and if it is, how much.

You guy are the experts, tell me what you think.

With everything I'm looking at, amp speakers, sound deadening material an so forth I'm around $1,100.00 for the system, $400.00 short of my self imposed max.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:56 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I spoke briefly with Bethany At Biketronics Friday and had her e-mail me a quote for the components we discussed. I'm a Parts Manager at a marine dealership and I work the same hours as pretty much anyone I want to discuss something with. So, calling up a company to discuss something at length is Difficult. Bethany and I exchanged several E-mails till I had pretty much all the info I wanted:

BT465 Front Speakers

BT4180.15RG Amplifier.

This .15RG is a package designed specifically for the Rushmore Road Glides, it includes the BT4180 amp, the amp mounting bracket for the Rushmore Road Glides, Line levers for both front and rear speakers and required RCA and electrical cables.

BTBOC $89.95

The BTBOC is basically a splicer wiring harness that goes between the Boom Stereo and Stereo Harness. The harness turns this into pretty much a plug and play system.

As Stated before Biketronics recommends the Alpine SPR-60 for the rear.

Biketronics is having a 4th of July Sale and the sale runs through July 5th.

I spent some time reading through all the instruction for installation of all the items I'm looking to install. Everything looks to be straight forward and nothing appears to be difficult.

The one area that did bring up some questions in my mind was the front speaker installation. The instructions state to remove the speaker enclosures, disassemble and seal the mating surfaces and reassemble.

I have read several posts about applying sound deadening material to the outside of the speaker enclosures. I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to doing this to the inside of the enclosure. I'm thinking putting the material on the inside of the enclosure would be a better environment for the material. I can see a little loss of the internal area of the enclosures with this method but would there be any other negatives.

The only possible short fall in the system and it's design I can see is using the bike's per-existing speaker wiring. Is this wiring up to the task for this much power. Is the factory wiring going cause a loss in performance and if it is, how much.

You guy are the experts, tell me what you think.

With everything I'm looking at, amp speakers, sound deadening material an so forth I'm around $1,100.00 for the system, $400.00 short of my self imposed max.
I have the same questions as you on wiring and the system being able to adequately handle the power without imposing problems on the charging system. Did she give you any information on the radio flash problems? Also, I'm curious about the amp she told you about. When I spoke with Donna she told the amp I needed for my'16 RGU was the 4180.14 and the same speakers you mentioned.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The Stock flash for the Road Glide Ultra Is the correct flash for what I am going to be ruining. The line levers resolve the issues with anything else.

If you are riding an FLTR or a FTLRS (no tour pack) and you are adding a rear set of speaker like saddle bag lid speakers you will have to have the stereo flashed to enable the rear speakers,fade control and wiring for the rear speakers.

I personally will be running a good quality tinned marine grade power wire and ground to the battery just to make sure the amp is getting good clean power and a good ground. No chassis ground for this system. This will require removing the tank. I have removed the tank before and it's really no big deal.

The charging system should be adequate for a single amp. Twin amplifiers would be a different story.

My concern is the factory speaker wire going through the harness. hopefully some one will chime in on this.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Texas Rapier

I’m do not have a RG but I can tell you what I know. Bunker and LL247 are a couple of go to guys for the RG.

The BT breakout harness is for Ultras only. The RG should have rear speaker connections under the fairing. You would have to have HD enable the them along with Fade do make them work.

Yes, BT recommends splitting the speaker pods and sealing them. You can put a hand full of polyfill inside the pods while they are open.

Interesting idea on putting sound deadener on the inside of pods! Don’t know if anyone has tried it before. I don’t see why it would not work.

The stock speaker wiring should be fine.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

You only need the breakout harness if you have rear pods stock (I think the Ultra does? see below)

The RG and RGS have a rear channel (just a single plug vs the dual plugs of the front). You want a stock Ultra flash to enable the rear channel and the fade function. I don't know about the Ultra, it may or may not require the breakout harness. I'd have to see under the fairing to know for sure.

The pods come off easily and also are easy to split and then run a bead of silicone to seal them. You want to seal them because once you put some power to some speakers the speakers will make some air move! That air WILL whistle through unsealed pods.

Lining the inside of them would be a chore, they are shaped crazy. I polyfilled mine and used the Stinger Roadkill on the outside.

I run all 16 gauge speaker wire but I believe the BT kit comes with everything you need will work fine. We're all using the stock harness to the Line Levelers.

The Rushmore bikes can run multiple amps no problem, I've seen several with 2 amps and no issues (ask Tailwind )

Old 07-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

^^^^ The SG models along along with the RG models have a rear speaker connection under the fairing. The Ultra models do not, and require a breakout harness to access the rear speakers. Unless of course you want to splice into the harness coming out of the HU to access the rear speakers like I did.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Does anyone have any pics of their install process? Also, been reading lots of info on the software version, my RGU has 1.19.1, does that make a huge difference? Will I need to change it? Where can I find the 1.19.0 version, if I need to change? Also been reading about problems with the breakout harness I believe it was not being wired right in regards to polarity, is this something that needs to be addressed?

Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
Does anyone have any pics of their install process? Also, been reading lots of info on the software version, my RGU has 1.19.1, does that make a huge difference? Will I need to change it? Where can I find the 1.19.0 version, if I need to change? Also been reading about problems with the breakout harness I believe it was not being wired right in regards to polarity, is this something that needs to be addressed?
19.1 should be fine. I have run 19.1 and 19.2 with no real concerns and changed to 19.0 due to peer pressure. Nothing earth shattering for my sled but other may have had more dramatic issues.

I think the BO Harness was addressed by BT about 4 or 5 months ago so hopefully they have cleared the inventory and this issue is behind us. You might call Donna to verify if u can check this off your very valid list of potential worries.

T.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tailwind
19.1 should be fine. I have run 19.1 and 19.2 with no real concerns and changed to 19.0 due to peer pressure. Nothing earth shattering for my sled but other may have had more dramatic issues.

I think the BO Harness was addressed by BT about 4 or 5 months ago so hopefully they have cleared the inventory and this issue is behind us. You might call Donna to verify if u can check this off your very valid list of potential worries.

T.
My gear is on the way, but I will contact her after the 4th. I'm hoping I don't screw this install up once I start. I can follow directions pretty easily, but seeing your in The Woodlands, I might be hitting you up if I have issues. I live over in Tomball.

Quick Reply: Stereo Up-Grade 2016 FLTRU