Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 SGS audio upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:54 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2016 SGS audio upgrade?

I just traded my 12 SG on a 16 SGS. I want to upgrade the stereo in it. I had a PBR300x2 with Polk MM651 and was pretty happy with the setup. I agree it was not the best, but it sure wasnt the worst...lol I could hear clear music at 80 mph.

New bike, new options.

I've done quit a bit of research. many options. I'm thinking I will probably go with the the Biktronics BT2180.14 amp with the 7.1 pros, or titan 7.1s. Not sure yet with way to go. If you have any opinions, i would love to hear them. i was leaning towards the pros only because if i want to change amps later i will not have to change speakers. I really wanted to go with component speakers instead of coaxle.

the BT package comes with everything i need to to install. the cost is about the same if i go with another amp and speakers like Hertz or Focals and then buy the brackets and line levelers.

I have an additional issue to contend with. I need to use the 1.19.2 update to fix a usb media issues and GPS issues. I'm not sure if the problems with return if I go back to 1.19.0.

Again, any opinions or advise is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Murph

Old 06-24-2016, 08:06 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member

More I read the more confused I get..lol I know BT is a good setup, but a few of you have different setups that are just as good, or even better. I know everything is personal preference, but I'm asking for advise. I may, or may not, take it.

I'm only going with the two front speakers for now.

I know a lot of you have very knowledgeable and would like to learn from that knowledge. A lot of people here are putting in 4 to 6 speakers.

I've read the Focals are really good speakers. so are hertz...lol

So many combinations and choices.lol

Old 06-25-2016, 07:03 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

You need to set a budget then go from there. If you're looking at the BT pro package then you're looking at $1070ish with the forum discount and that opens up a LOT of options.

I'm told the pro's are much better than the Titan's, I didn't care for the Titan's myself but BT's warranty and customer service can't be overlooked.

Personally, if I were doing a 2 speaker setup I'd go with a Fosgate TM400x2ad, a set of Arc Moto 602's, and a BT355 Line Leveler.

You'll get lots of opinions for sure but it's your ears and wallet that need to decide what setup you'll enjoy most. Try and hit up a bike night see if you can't get a listen to sme of the various options out there.

You can see some of the setups on my channel, don't have my newest setup on there yet (Focal KRC's, JL MX770's, TM400x4) but everything else I've tried is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrU...WFUeCMudmB9OJw

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 600 Posts

^^^This is good advice......

Figure out your price point then you can post up asking 4 advice and guys can steer you in the right direction. Until you know how much you can spend you really can't map out a plan.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member

thank you for your help. I do like RF amps. A lot of power going to the 602s. Can they handle that? Just asking, trying to learn more.

I've heard it mentioned that it's not how much you spend on your system that is important. It's more important to "match" your components.

I'm trying to learn more so I can make a better decision. Thanks for your help.

I would like to stay below 1000 if possible. Maybe somewhere around 700-800 range. Is that still feasible to have a good system in that range. Only going with two speakers?. I want to try to get as full of a sound I can with two speakers. I know there i only so much, but with your help I'm sure it will be the best it can. Thanks again for your help

Last edited by murph; 06-25-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Haven't forgotten about you! I'll give u a shout this morning.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:30 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by murph
thank you for your help. I do like RF amps. A lot of power going to the 602s. Can they handle that? Just asking, trying to learn more.

I've heard it mentioned that it's not how much you spend on your system that is important. It's more important to "match" your components.

I'm trying to learn more so I can make a better decision. Thanks for your help.

I would like to stay below 1000 if possible. Maybe somewhere around 700-800 range. Is that still feasible to have a good system in that range. Only going with two speakers?. I want to try to get as full of a sound I can with two speakers. I know there i only so much, but with your help I'm sure it will be the best it can. Thanks again for your help
That's a perfectly acceptable price range for what you're looking to do. I know you were already talking to my right hand man, Anthony, on the phone. Anything we can do to help feel free to ask.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 AM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

The TM400X2ad is more robust over the PBR300X2.
You'll be getting a solid 100 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm out of the TM amplifier.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockford Fosgate
The TM400X4ad is more robust over the PBR300X2.
You'll be getting a solid 100 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm out of the TM amplifier.
Originally Posted by Rockford Fosgate
The TM400X2ad is more robust over the PBR300X2.
You'll be getting a solid 200 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm out of the TM amplifier.
fixed it for you

Old 06-27-2016, 08:14 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member

I'm looking at the RF TM400x2 and the arc 600.4

I did obtain a set of Focals 165KRC. They will be here this week. Just have to decide on amp now.

Quick Reply: 2016 SGS audio upgrade?