Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:21 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)

So in my haste on ebay I bought what I thought was a Cerwin Vega B54 amp. Turns out it's actually a CER-B4 amp, 2014 model. I have both manuals and they are the same size with mostly the same specs as far as output goes. Main differences are in some crossover settings.

Anyone have any experience with the B4 amp? See attached pics of specs, connections and settings.

Bought to maybe replace the RF-PBR300X4 amp I'm working with at the moment. I say maybe because that amp is all wired in and functioning OK. And as an add I tweaked on it yesterday and with that and the settings in the Kenwood amp I was able to get the Biketronics Titan 4" speakers to outright scream without distortion. The critical setting for that was putting the HPF on HU at 100hz. The RF amp on All Pass, I believe is 70hz and not adjustable.

Been a crap week with some family medical issues, and with work I haven't had time to finish getting the rear pods in. How everything sounds when I finally get those in will determine if I swap amps or not before I button up the fairing.

I haven't received the CV amp yet, but have discussed the typo issue with the seller and he was cool and accommodating. Saying if I didn't want to keep it I could return it for a refund. I probably won't tho. For $100 I am thinking it was still a good purchase. Since I can only put 4" speakers in my older vintage fairing, and 6'5" in the pods. I can only push em so much anyways.

Mainly just curious on the differences in the B4 vs the B54 amps.

Thoughts and Opinions?

Attached Thumbnails Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)-cer-b4-specs.png   Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)-cer-b54-specs.png   Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)-cer-b4-connections-and-settings.png   Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)-cer-b54-connections-and-settings.png  
Old 06-16-2016, 07:39 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
So in my haste on ebay I bought what I thought was a Cerwin Vega B54 amp. Turns out it's actually a CER-B4 amp, 2014 model. I have both manuals and they are the same size with mostly the same specs as far as output goes. Main differences are in some crossover settings.

Anyone have any experience with the B4 amp? See attached pics of specs, connections and settings.

Bought to maybe replace the RF-PBR300X4 amp I'm working with at the moment. I say maybe because that amp is all wired in and functioning OK. And as an add I tweaked on it yesterday and with that and the settings in the Kenwood amp I was able to get the Biketronics Titan 4" speakers to outright scream without distortion. The critical setting for that was putting the HPF on HU at 100hz. The RF amp on All Pass, I believe is 70hz and not adjustable.

Been a crap week with some family medical issues, and with work I haven't had time to finish getting the rear pods in. How everything sounds when I finally get those in will determine if I swap amps or not before I button up the fairing.

I haven't received the CV amp yet, but have discussed the typo issue with the seller and he was cool and accommodating. Saying if I didn't want to keep it I could return it for a refund. I probably won't tho. For $100 I am thinking it was still a good purchase. Since I can only put 4" speakers in my older vintage fairing, and 6'5" in the pods. I can only push em so much anyways.

Mainly just curious on the differences in the B4 vs the B54 amps.

Thoughts and Opinions?
Just a previous generation. Not a bad amp I am aware of. To be even more on point the b54 is or will be discontinued as well. That's what I have heard. Run the amp . Way better than the fosgate you have. Those 300x4 were not a shining moment for Rockford.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:49 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

The only big difference is the rear channel on the B4 does not have a high pass filter so you will need to run it all pass. Should be fine.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:19 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Thanks guys. I've been leaning towards running the B4 anyways. But to start with im going to tune the PBR with all 4 channels. Then switch it out to the CV. I can then maybe understand why everyone is against the RF amp. Lol. My curiosity has been peaked.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Thanks guys. I've been leaning towards running the B4 anyways. But to start with im going to tune the PBR with all 4 channels. Then switch it out to the CV. I can then maybe understand why everyone is against the RF amp. Lol. My curiosity has been peaked.
The dislike of that Fosgate amp is that it cannot be bridged or ran in 2 ohm.

The following users liked this post:
DeputyLoud (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
The dislike of that Fosgate amp is that it cannot be bridged or ran in 2 ohm.
Not to mention weak at 75 X 4.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:38 AM
ryvpete
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the B4 in my 16 FLTRU and I like it a lot. I have Kappas in the front and SPR-60s in the rear and it handles them really nice. I actually got the SPR-60s to tune a little better than the Kappas so I might adjust the Kappas again next time I have the fairing off.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:17 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Not to mention weak at 75 X 4.
That being said the RF is indeed 75x4. But the B4 is only 80x4. So in that regard what is the big difference.

As a note on previous comments, I do not need to bridge or run 2ohm. So in my case is there really much of a difference? Spoke too soon. See below.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 06-16-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:39 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain

Will the B4 accomodate 4ohn speaks in fairing and 2 ohm speaks in rear pods. Turns out speaks i have wont fit my pods. Thinking about the Kappa 62.11's. Or can i wire them to make amp think they are 4ohm?

Old 06-16-2016, 06:45 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Yes you can run 2ohm and 4ohm on the same amp at the same time.

Quick Reply: Did I make a mistake buying this amp? (CER-B4)