Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651, Aquatic AV and SS PN4.520D Setup Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:06 PM
wam6187
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polk MM651, Aquatic AV and SS PN4.520D Setup Question

I recently upgraded my sound system. My old speakers were J&M 7 1/4"s that were swapped for Polk MM651's. On the radio side, the factory Harmon Kardon (HK) was exchanged for an Aquatic AV. I tried running everything without the amp but it just wasn't loud enough on the highway. Back in with the SS PN4.520D. The X-over setting is configured in the middle. I adjusted the gain by ear (my ears are not as good as they used to be) but I am not sure if it is where it needs to be. My music source: I'm streaming via bluetooth from my Samsung S6. My hope was this setup would be a huge improvement over what I had but it is marginally better (sounding) at best. What am I missing with this setup?

BTW - question on the crossovers for the Polk's. Aren't those for when you are running tweeters/subwoofers? Can they be taken off? Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know much when it comes to car stereo stuff. I am more of a home stereo guy...

Thanks ahead

Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by wam6187
I recently upgraded my sound system. My old speakers were J&M 7 1/4"s that were swapped for Polk MM651's. On the radio side, the factory Harmon Kardon (HK) was exchanged for an Aquatic AV. I tried running everything without the amp but it just wasn't loud enough on the highway. Back in with the SS PN4.520D. The X-over setting is configured in the middle. I adjusted the gain by ear (my ears are not as good as they used to be) but I am not sure if it is where it needs to be. My music source: I'm streaming via bluetooth from my Samsung S6. My hope was this setup would be a huge improvement over what I had but it is marginally better (sounding) at best. What am I missing with this setup?

BTW - question on the crossovers for the Polk's. Aren't those for when you are running tweeters/subwoofers? Can they be taken off? Sorry for my ignorance but I don't know much when it comes to car stereo stuff. I am more of a home stereo guy...

Thanks ahead
That system ought to be shakin the ground loud! Are you running RCA's or High level inputs off the amp? YOU NEED TO USE THE CROSSOVERS THAT CAME WITH THE POLKS.
Bluetooth is THE worst source of music you can use. Get a USB stick and download your music from Itunes. How many speakers are you running?

Old 06-14-2016, 04:59 PM
wam6187
Cruiser

Gannicus,

Thank you for the reply. I am running the RCA outputs from the amp to the Aquatic. One thing I thought of last night, the cables are just some old cheap ones I had from a VCR. Maybe I'll swap those for some higher quality units. I know I've seen huge improvements switching to Monster Cables for certain use cases - thougths? I will try the USB thing. My biggest like with the Aquatic is my phone can charge while I am riding. The bluetooth was just a convenience thing. Currently I am only running two speakers. I've thought about putting some in the lids but that would require spending MORE money. I haven't gotten the wife to warm up to that idea yet as she is a bit of a tight wad. :-)

Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Gannicus,

Thank you for the reply. I am running the RCA outputs from the amp to the Aquatic. One thing I thought of last night, the cables are just some old cheap ones I had from a VCR. Maybe I'll swap those for some higher quality units. I know I've seen huge improvements switching to Monster Cables for certain use cases - thougths? I will try the USB thing. My biggest like with the Aquatic is my phone can charge while I am riding. The bluetooth was just a convenience thing. Currently I am only running two speakers. I've thought about putting some in the lids but that would require spending MORE money. I haven't gotten the wife to warm up to that idea yet as she is a bit of a tight wad. :-)
Have had very good luck with the Stinger 18" RCAs as a good bang for the buck. They also have some very high caliber Stingers but have had good luck with their budget grade stuff.

T.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Gannicus,

Yeah man. Get a set of stingers and get rid of the old VCR cables.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 PM
wam6187
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Have had very good luck with the Stinger 18" RCAs as a good bang for the buck. They also have some very high caliber Stingers but have had good luck with their budget grade stuff.

T.
Thanks for the tip. I will get a set in the mail this evening.