Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on setup for 14SG. New to bike audio and need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by newmanb138
I guess what I am trying to wrap my head around is the amp. As I said, it was suggested to get the diamond micro 2v2, but in my head that means I will be getting either a second amp or a 4 channel when I want to add the lowers and tour pak.... And I am trying to avoid rebuying... If possible that is.. I was fine about running the fairing and lowers(when I put them in) off of the 2v2, but as Haze pointed out I will be losing 25w with doesn't seem like that is what I would want..

Lets say someone is doing all 6 speakers at once.. What amp do you choose? A 4 channel with the fairings and lowers in parallel and the tour pak on the rear channels, or 2 2channels?... My head is beginning to hurt..
I would go with a 4 channel amp that is certain to not have imbalance issues as u build the system. Most will not. BT, certainly not.

Fairing on front channels.

Lowers and TP pods on rear in parallel. These two sets should be very similar in design but not necessarily same manufacturer. This is due to the paralleling. They should be the same Ohm at 4 ohm, and should have same sensitivity or SPL within about 2. If u can stay in the same general ballpark regarding RMS, even better. So when u buy your lower speaks, you should kind of have a ruff idea what u will be paralleling them with so that u do not limit yourself from a good product for the TP speaks.

T.

The following users liked this post:
newmanb138 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I would go with a 4 channel amp that is certain to not have imbalance issues as u build the system. Most will not. BT, certainly not.

Lowers and TP pods on rear in parallel. These two sets should be very similar in design but not necessarily same manufacturer. This is due to the paralleling. They should be the same Ohm at 4 ohm, and should have same sensitivity or SPL within about 2. If u can stay in the same general ballpark regarding RMS, even better. So when u buy your lower speaks, you should kind of have a ruff idea what u will be paralleling them with so that u do not limit yourself from a good product for the TP speaks.

T.
What he said. I have just spent a couple days experimenting on lowers, rear pods and "parallel". My personal results led me to move my higher quality speakers that were in the lowers and put them in the tour pods and run them NOT in parallel with the lowers. I'm not even hooking my lowers back up till I have another amp to drive them. In my opinion your fairing and tour pods are more important then lowers both parked and at speed. I have no experience with lid speakers yet but in the future I plan on running rear lids and tour pods off their own 4 channel amp mounted under the tour pack and the front fairing and lower speakers off my amp under the fairing.

newmanb138 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 AM
newmanb138
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind

T.
PERFECT INFO!! That is exactly the kind of info I am trying to get. Thank you very much.

With that being said, what would you think about this option. Lets say I get the Hertz Mille Pros and Micro 2v2 amp at this moment.... Then I add the lowers and tour pak next using the above info and running them in parallel hooked up to another 2v2 amp.... would this be pretty similar to running a 4 channel? Or is going with a single 4channel better than 2 2 channels for any reason? Only reason for asking is I can get 2 2v2's for about the price of a good 4 channel such as the BT4180...

Btw, I can't say how much I appreciate everyone's info and help on this.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:13 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Benefit would be you have 1 amp vs 2, wiring, space, cost etc

If it's any help, I also went through this, bought a 2 channel then bought a 4 channel now I wish I would have stayed with the 2 channel and bought another amp for the other speakers.

I want to run 200w to front stage and then 150ish to rear.

I think it's perfectly ok to buy a 2 channel to start and add a second 2 channel later or even replace the 2 channel with a 4 channel when your needs change.

I like the idea of buy for the future but sometimes the future isn't as clear as it is now.

newmanb138 (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker

If it's any help, I also went through this, bought a 2 channel then bought a 4 channel now I wish I would have stayed with the 2 channel and bought another amp for the other speakers.

I think it's perfectly ok to buy a 2 channel to start and add a second 2 channel later or even replace the 2 channel with a 4 channel when your needs change.

I like the idea of buy for the future but sometimes the future isn't as clear as it is now.
My future is as clear as mud!

Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 AM
newmanb138
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
What he said. I have just spent a couple days experimenting on lowers, rear pods and "parallel". My personal results led me to move my higher quality speakers that were in the lowers and put them in the tour pods and run them NOT in parallel with the lowers. I'm not even hooking my lowers back up till I have another amp to drive them. In my opinion your fairing and tour pods are more important then lowers both parked and at speed. I have no experience with lid speakers yet but in the future I plan on running rear lids and tour pods off their own 4 channel amp mounted under the tour pack and the front fairing and lower speakers off my amp under the fairing.
I will definetly keep that in mind and I appreciate the info.

Originally Posted by Bunker

All of this is easing my mind on what I have more or less decided on. I agree buying for the future isn't always easy and you just make the best choice you can at the time.

So for curiosity, what are my options for pods in the lowers? They are the 14+ lowers. Do you have to buy the $250 HD pods, or are there aftermarket available?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Here's another option, get a Cerwin Vega B54. It's 4 channels and can be bridged to 2 if you only do fairing speakers. They are a sister company to Diamond And work well.

I have a b54, hcx165, bt355 in my Rushmore, about $500 invested and it sounds pretty good I think.