Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Focal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by nick4737
I have the KRC's and had them paired with the soundstream amp for a couple weeks...my new moto amp will be here tomorrow
Cool!! Let us know if you detect a huge difference in SQ. I already know the answer but I'd like your opinion.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:46 AM
nick4737
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Cool!! Let us know if you detect a huge difference in SQ. I already know the answer but I'd like your opinion.
I'm not expecting a huge difference in SQ..I thought they sounded damn good with the ss amp...kinda just wanted the arc moto...ever done that before? lol

Old 06-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I'm not expecting a huge difference in SQ..I thought they sounded damn good with the ss amp...kinda just wanted the arc moto...ever done that before? lol
Yes I have.... Lol!!

Old 06-08-2016, 12:07 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Im curious about this too. Because my krc's with the pn4.1000 sounds great. Might be because of the aftermarket hu too.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
With the focals in both I have the fairing tweeter crossover set at -6 and the lowers set to 0. Don't get that option with the krc replacments. Not saying it's the best front stage setup at all, just how I have mine set up. In fact I'm going to be experimenting with different combos soon.
How well do you hear the lowers at speed?

Old 06-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Who the heck knows, lol. I need to get my front channels working properly so I can set them up as front(fairing) and back(lowers) to be able to fade, then I will know for sure. Know what I mean?

Old 06-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Who the heck knows, lol. I need to get my front channels working properly so I can set them up as front(fairing) and back(lowers) to be able to fade, then I will know for sure. Know what I mean?
Ok gotcha.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Which time? Lmao
I think that a side by side comparison will yield better SQ. I noticed it with increased volume. Now, that being said, you will lose warmth with the moto, but will gain clarity. All in what your ears are after....

Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Ok I have a definitive for you now. I was able to fix/equal my front and rear channels(at least very close now) through adjusting the HPF and the focal tweeter adjustments on the crossovers, I'll get into more detail on another thread.
But to answer your question, with two identical sets of KRC's in the fairing and lowers running off of a bt4180 NOT in parallel with anything(rear pods not wired into the system). This is the most power these speakers can get from this amp at least 150 per speaker. Testing was done with the Volume set at 14 out of 17, fairing wired to front and lower wired to rear, fade set in the middle and fading to front(fairing) only as fast as it will fade;

In the parking up to 50 mph you want them(lowers). They give a rich full sound that you miss when the lowers fade out.

At 60 you can tell they were there but no big deal when they fade out.

At 70+ with volume up to 15(momentarily) they are gone, nothing, zilch! Very disappointed as that's where I am trying to tune my system. I don't go to bike nights and or "pimp the parking lot" lol(stole that from someone, forgot who).

Really thinking about putting lesser sq speakers down there now as it's basically expensive fill sound even in the parking lot. The lowers sound like crap by themselves at ear level, if you put your head at seat level they sound just like the fairing but sit at riding level and they sound terrible by them selves.

I was very surprised, really thought they did more at highway speed. I know that when riding solo I can sometimes hear the rear pods(BT 6.5's) that were wired in parallel with the lowers, I'm going to have to do a test with them next. Maybe I'll test the BT6.5's then swap them with the lowers and see how the KRC's do back there, I was going to put Moto 602's back there but I'll try these first.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:22 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Ok I have a definitive for you now. I was able to fix/equal my front and rear channels(at least very close now) through adjusting the HPF and the focal tweeter adjustments on the crossovers, I'll get into more detail on another thread.
But to answer your question, with two identical sets of KRC's in the fairing and lowers running off of a bt4180 NOT in parallel with anything(rear pods not wired into the system). This is the most power these speakers can get from this amp at least 150 per speaker. Testing was done with the Volume set at 14 out of 17, fairing wired to front and lower wired to rear, fade set in the middle and fading to front(fairing) only as fast as it will fade;

In the parking up to 50 mph you want them(lowers). They give a rich full sound that you miss when the lowers fade out.

At 60 you can tell they were there but no big deal when they fade out.

At 70+ with volume up to 15(momentarily) they are gone, nothing, zilch! Very disappointed as that's where I am trying to tune my system. I don't go to bike nights and or "pimp the parking lot" lol(stole that from someone, forgot who).

Really thinking about putting lesser sq speakers down there now as it's basically expensive fill sound even in the parking lot. The lowers sound like crap by themselves at ear level, if you put your head at seat level they sound just like the fairing but sit at riding level and they sound terrible by them selves.

I was very surprised, really thought they did more at highway speed. I know that when riding solo I can sometimes hear the rear pods(BT 6.5's) that were wired in parallel with the lowers, I'm going to have to do a test with them next. Maybe I'll test the BT6.5's then swap them with the lowers and see how the KRC's do back there, I was going to put Moto 602's back there but I'll try these first.
Great feedback greatsteaks. You know at least you powered them to their potential and that says a lot. I hear about so many guys trying to push speakers that need 125-150 rms with 80 watts and they are clueless to the potential they are missing out on. You know you could consider some pro audio Hertz or equivalent in the lowers that have a high sensitivity. Those may really keep up at the 70+ speeds and you don't need the tweeter there anyway. Just give some midbass and vocal, guitar,etc.

Quick Reply: Focal?