Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMD DD1 / O Scope Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Hell, the problem is that I'm the apprentice tuner that tunes the golf cart that tows the trailer that carries the tires to the NASCAR.

Totally understand the art associated with tuning and respect the shix out of it.

To try and provide just a simple way to get your HU, AMP, and Speaks to the tailgate party prior to the professional grade tuning, I do think that there are some basic guidelines all of us simple coaxial speaker guys can use to get some "quality" sound.
1. Determine the max clean HU volume.
2. Determine the max clean LL & Amp gain.
3. Determine the watts that you want to send your coax speaker (1.8 RMS).
4. Plug the speaker ohm and watt figure mentioned above in the ohm law app calculator.
5. Tune your amp output with a DMM to match the voltage provided in the calculator, while not exceeding the max clean values of # 1 & 2.
6. Plug the speakers in and fine tune the hell out of them based on the dynamics associated with each individual system.
I agree.
Example:
BT4180
BT355
Focal KRC 80 RMS 160 Max 4 ohm
Focal KRX 100 RMS 200 Max 2 ohm

Based on the KRC, I would initially want to send 144 (80 x 1.8) watts to those speaks thus the ohm law figure for that 4 ohm speak would be 20 VAC of amp output on the DMM, well below max clean.
I am not aware of using the formula to achieve amp VAC. I thought RMS x 1.8 was more for choosing how many watts of power you would want out of an amp to power a speaker and have enough headroom to play short term peak dB's in the music, and be able to use full rated power to the speakers without loosing volume, if needed. Then work down from there in the fine tuning stage.

For the KRX I would want to run 180 watts to those (100 x 1.8) and the ohm law figure for those 2 ohm speakers would be 19.0 VAC of amp output on the DMM, again well below max clean.

Keeping in mind that this is all taking place at the tailgate party, I now plug all the speaker wires in and fine tune accordingly. Since my KRX are in the lids I would potentially bump those up more than just a bit via ear, but below max clean. The fairing KRCs are probably in the ball park but will need adjusted a tad as needed.

Am I totally in the weeds regarding this starting point that anyone with a $5.00 DMM can obtain? The rest of the tuning will require a keen ear and a ton of trial and error and ultimately experience, natural talent / the human element, and some persistence.
I think the chart is a good starting point for finding a VAC to start with.

Just trying to find a simple way for a guy that upgrades from Boom to a simple yet high quality coax sound system to get some good performance out of his/her system initially while they gain some experience in the demands associated with sled audio. The more advanced you get with your system the further away from these basic properties you will diverge but with that comes the experience to know what u don't know.

Thoughts? No more damn throat punches!!!!! Throat hurts!!!

On a side note regarding Steaks comments, I would bet that the BT355 and BT4180 default settings are by coincidence really damn close to this 1.8 RMS Focal KRC figure thus agree, he should have just gone riding. What about the Moto 602? Millies? Hertz HCX, Kappas?
The gains on the BT4180 are fixed. So setting the amp input using the LL to find an un-distorted speaker output would not change with speaker resistance. What could change is if the RMS of a speaker were higher than the BT amp could provide to get full rated power to the speakers.

When getting into adjustable amps all this will change. I'm beginning to think this would be easier.

Just trying to keep the discussion going. Please let me know if my thinking is wrong.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Darn - got too late to the whole scientific approach LOL. In Europe again...
my 2 cents... use your ears... as Haze and Gann mentioned earlier.
I would trust my o-scope before DD1, but that's me...

just makes me REALLY curious about the "secret sauce" the audio comp winners pour over their Rushmore HU (as Haze mentioned in other threads, they won...). we probably will never know, unless you buy the bike LOL...

Old 06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

lol... We got an "inside man" on the case my friend. The secret sauce is not gonna be a secret much longer. Gotta know how these comp guys are reprogramming the stock HU on these Rushmore's to get the excellent sound they are getting.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
lol... We got an "inside man" on the case my friend. The secret sauce is not gonna be a secret much longer. Gotta know how these comp guys are reprogramming the stock HU on these Rushmore's to get the excellent sound they are getting.
Kinda thought it would leak out eventually. Most things do.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:18 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Kinda thought it would leak out eventually. Most things do.
well - there's the issue... if the "code" comes out ("hack"), and becomes public knowledge, HD has access to the knowledge and can ask HK to shut it down.
Therefore - IMO - knowledge should never be posted in public on a forum, but only UNDERGROUND (or "encrypted").
Like "how to load latest version on Rushmore" instead of "how to hack Rushmore" lol

think about it... you really think Microsoft is not looking at all the "hack" and torrent sides how smart programmers bypassed the Licence Key activation for their Office, W7, etc?
sorry, I am in Software for a long long time and know the drill...

Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV
well - there's the issue... if the "code" comes out ("hack"), and becomes public knowledge, HD has access to the knowledge and can ask HK to shut it down.
Therefore - IMO - knowledge should never be posted in public on a forum, but only UNDERGROUND (or "encrypted").
Like "how to load latest version on Rushmore" instead of "how to hack Rushmore" lol
I agree 100%. Just like HD is manipulating the software updates to interfere with the BT LL's. The sad part is in doing so there making there own stock Boom stuff sound worse.

think about it... you really think Microsoft is not looking at all the "hack" and torrent sides how smart programmers bypassed the Licence Key activation for their Office, W7, etc?
MS tests everything. Been out to the campus several time as a volunteer in there MVP program. Very cool place.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Next will won't be able to go backwards to previous versions so be very careful before updating to the newest and greatest!

Old 06-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

GS, don't give then any ideas...

Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV

Love the way you think my friend! Learn the game and they change the rules. Happen's every time. On a positive note they could only download the new "virus" in the 17 and up bikes. . .lol

Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Love the way you think my friend! Learn the game and they change the rules. Happen's every time. On a positive note they could only download the new "virus" in the 17 and up bikes. . .lol
This is funny as I've seen this happen before. Was on a Kenwood forum. And Kenwood would send updates out that if something was hacked, it locked up the unit.

Quick Reply: SMD DD1 / O Scope Rushmore