Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMD DD1 / O Scope Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
I will be playing with my scope and dummy load I made to see where my current settings are vs flat and also have varying tones to test and see how the system behaves. You need a dummy load to accurately see how the amp handles the power with a load using the tones with a scope. Without the load the amp may or will respond differently. It's all about accuracy with dummy load.
Awesome info. The hope is that I eventually get smart enough to even turn on a scope!! Im assuming that all of the guys that will be testing this stuff will be using DD1s and DMMs without any load. Think the O Scope will be some pretty advanced stuff for this grass roots effort, but ya never know.

Any info & education you can provide as we try and work thru these audio tuning topics is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

T.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:04 AM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Whats the cheapest dmm/dd1 or o-scope someone can buy and dial their equip in with?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sponger
Whats the cheapest dmm/dd1 or o-scope someone can buy and dial their equip in with?
Stand by as I am trying to get as much info together that will really only require a 25 buck DMM for those of us running the same stuff. The DD1 is pretty damn simple and cool though and that thing is about $150.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:43 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

$25? Hell of a deal right there. Or ill just go to Texas and see who i can find.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Max HU Volume for Rushmore HU = 16
Max BT355 Gain Setting w Rushmore HU = Default setting
Confirm BT4180 / BT2180 amp output is clean at above settings. Confirmed at speaker outputs on the amp using the DD-1 and a 1K -5 tone at volume 15 and bike not running.
Note: The default marks on the LL can be off by as much as an hour (caveman settings). This is where a DMM will come in handy. Will post VAC number upon request.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
Max HU Volume for Rushmore HU = 16
Max BT355 Gain Setting w Rushmore HU = Default setting
Confirm BT4180 / BT2180 amp output is clean at above settings. Confirmed at speaker outputs on the amp using the DD-1 and a 1K -5 tone at volume 15 and bike not running.
Note: The default marks on the LL can be off by as much as an hour (caveman settings). This is where a DMM will come in handy. Will post VAC number upon request.
Great info Bert. I like the cave man style.

I think we can agree that 15/17 is the max clean HU setting for the Rushmores.

As for the LL, my DD1 shows 1:45 as the max clean setting (green/ red light margin) and pulled it back to 1:30 for the margin. Brought the front / fairing back to about 12:45 as that was the sweet spot for those lower RMS speaks.

This is where I was hoping that those of us that were playing with the DD1, Rush HUs, and BT355s were going to have more consistent readings. The difference between the BT default setting that you found as max and the 1:45 that I found is actually huge in the scheme of things. Oh well.

It is great to see that u r using the -5 test tone as I think that is much more prudent. -7 or -10 might even come into play.

T.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Great info Bert. I like the cave man style.

I think we can agree that 15/17 is the max clean HU setting for the Rushmores.

As for the LL, my DD1 shows 1:45 as the max clean setting (green/ red light margin) and pulled it back to 1:30 for the margin. Brought the front / fairing back to about 12:45 as that was the sweet spot for those lower RMS speaks.
Are you connecting the DD1 into the LL via RCA? When I do this with a 1K -5 or -10 I get the Signal and Detect lights but Distortion flickers while raising the gains.

This is where I was hoping that those of us that were playing with the DD1, Rush HUs, and BT355s were going to have more consistent readings. The difference between the BT default setting that you found as max and the 1:45 that I found is actually huge in the scheme of things. Oh well.
This is where the DMM will come into play for those without a DD1, once the caveman evolves.

It is great to see that u r using the -5 test tone as I think that is much more prudent. -7 or -10 might even come into play.

T.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
Are you connecting the DD1 into the LL via RCA? When I do this with a 1K -5 or -10 I get the Signal and Detect lights but Distortion flickers while raising the gains.This is where the DMM will come into play for those without a DD1, once the caveman evolves.
Using 1k -5 and have tried both the LL output and the end of an 18" RCA. Maybe a little random flicker at both sources but solid red is what I am using as the finish line. Turning gains on LL as slow as imaginable gets no flicker.

Since we can roughly say that 15/17 on HU should not be exceeded and that 12:00 to 1:30 on the LL gains, and that no one else is playing my little cave man game, I guess we could evolve.

On the BT4180, what is the target Voltage you are trying to obtain on the output (where the speaker wires plug in) w HU at 15 since Slyes damn good chart does not specifically have the BT Watts?

T.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:54 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How many volume clicks are there on the Boom system? Here is what I found last year using a scope:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...ion-level.html

Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Using 1k -5 and have tried both the LL output and the end of an 18" RCA. Maybe a little random flicker at both sources but solid red is what I am using as the finish line. Turning gains on LL as slow as imaginable gets no flicker.
Ok, I'll have to try this method.

Since we can roughly say that 15/17 on HU should not be exceeded and that 12:00 to 1:30 on the LL gains, and that no one else is playing my little cave man game, I guess we could evolve.
I'm playing...

On the BT4180, what is the target Voltage you are trying to obtain on the output (where the speaker wires plug in) w HU at 15 since Slyes damn good chart does not specifically have the BT Watts?
Not knowing the method you where using I set the gains with the DD1 at the amp speaker outputs and ended up with 25.24VAC on the left, and 25.01 on the right.

This is still a work in progress.

Quick Reply: SMD DD1 / O Scope Rushmore