Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with audio system

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help with audio system

Hey guys/gals, need help with figuring out why I get no sound from my system all of a sudden! So back in November/December I got reccomendations on what system to purchase on a budget. Gann was very helpful in that department and I purchased the SSpn4.1000 amp, Infinity Kappas 6x9, and the Sony MexM70BT.

System was great until yesterday the sound "cut out" all of a sudden. I pulled open the fairing everything looks/seems fine. I checked the inline fuse, good. The green light is "on" on the amp, nothing smells burnt, and I changed around the speaker wires and RCA plugs just for kicks...Nothing!

So I'm at a loss as to why the d@mn thing doesn't give me sound....Please help..
Thank you! Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day!!!

Old 05-30-2016, 11:07 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Voltage?

Old 05-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Check the fuses on the bottom side of the amp?
Wire speakers directly to HU and make sure you still have a signal coming out of head unit.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:48 AM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Check the fuses on the bottom side of the amp?
Wire speakers directly to HU and make sure you still have a signal coming out of head unit.

Thanks, I didn't know there were fuses on bottom side of amp, I'll check them. My next step was to wire directly to stereo, hopefully I'll figure out something...

Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 PM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser

Well, I wired directly to HU and I have sound! So I'm guessing amp took a dump...I haven't pulled out entire system yet, need to pull fairing from bike and look underneath amp to see if there are any fuses...

If amp is fried, any recommendations on another brand that will produce just as great a sound or better with Sony HU & Infinity Kappas 6x9's?? I was very pleased with sound & power amp produced, but don't wanna risk another SSamp burning out in such a short time!
Just using 6x9 in fairing, no plans for lowers, but future plans for speaker lids...thanks

Old 05-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Amp selection to go up from the Soundstream would be Biketronics 4180, Arc 600/4, JL 400/4 to keep it mounted in the fairing

The following users liked this post:
KnarleyHarley (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 01:33 PM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Amp selection to go up from the Soundstream would be Biketronics 4180, Arc 600/4, JL 400/4 to keep it mounted in the fairing

Eeegawd!!! just checked into those amps and man their pricey!! @ $6 1/2 hundy are my speakers going to be able to handle any of them?? LOL...

Checked ebay & amazon, any better places to look as far as cost on those? I have read on here by members saying that one amp can be "warmer" than the next. What does that mean? Better bass, clarity, or overall sound produced??

I want great sound & some kick to it!! Not one that makes your ears ring for hours because of Treble, I want good Bass...

Old 05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by KnarleyHarley
Eeegawd!!! just checked into those amps and man their pricey!! @ $6 1/2 hundy are my speakers going to be able to handle any of them?? LOL... Checked ebay & amazon, any better places to look as far as cost on those? I have read on here by members saying that one amp can be "warmer" than the next. What does that mean? Better bass, clarity, or overall sound produced?? I want great sound & some kick to it!! Not one that makes your ears ring for hours because of Treble, I want good Bass...
I'd start with diagnosing the cause of your current problem. There should be a fuse on that amp somewhere. If you determine that the amp is fried, and you've been happy with the way your system sounded and performed, I'd first try to figure out what was the reason behind my amp frying then I'd replace it with the same amp. Amps don't normally crap out without a reason. You have to find out what caused it.

The following users liked this post:
KnarleyHarley (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 02:21 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
I'd start with diagnosing the cause of your current problem. There should be a fuse on that amp somewhere. If you determine that the amp is fried, and you've been happy with the way your system sounded and performed, I'd first try to figure out what was the reason behind my amp frying then I'd replace it with the same amp. Amps don't normally crap out without a reason. You have to find out what caused it.
This 100x.

Find out why your amp is not working. Is the green light on? Take a DMM and see if you have any input and output voltage coming out, etc.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
KnarleyHarley
Cruiser

So I pulled the amp checked both fuses and their good. Was hoping it was just the fuse, time to plan for another amp. Gonna roll around without fairing for awhile until I decide/save for a better quality amp...Thanks to those that replied and gave suggestions!!

I never saw smoke or smelled anything...oh well

Quick Reply: Help with audio system