Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Short???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Drkknt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default External Short???

Had another thread on my issue, but it was pretty cluttered and now it appears like my story is beginning another chapter anyway.
2011 Road Glide. Stock HK HU, RF PBR-300X2, 2 ea. Infinity Kappas. All the sound started cutting out...CD/Radio/Aux. HU still had power, just no sound. I checked all the connections...everything looks/feels good to me. I was able to reproduce the cutting out by tapping on the HU with the handle of screwdriver. Thought I had found my culprit. With my own twisted logic I decided to send it to Iron Cross Audio to be repaired and add an Aux out the back.
Here's the next chapter. I talked to the office lady, not a technician, but she was reading the technicians notes. Note said there was an internal short on a sound board, BUT, it was caused by an external source. If I didn't fix the external problem, the problem would more than likely happen again to the HU. Like I said, I checked all the connections...everything looked solid, but of course I'll do it again. Does this sound like more of a power wire connection problem or do you think it's speaker related? Could my amp be going bad? Any way to test it?
Just as an outside thought. Mostly only on long trips, I'll use an external Bluetooth unit. It has it's own internal battery and plugs into the Aux port up front, then I'd send music from my phone. For the most part this setup worked great, but I did notice that some of my older, less studio-engineered music would cause it to clip. Of course when it started clipping I would turn it way down or skip that song altogether. I never let it happen long but it did happen. Think this could be causing problems internally? Now that I have the Aux out the back I won't be using this Bluetooth thing any more. Like I said, I call myself going over the connections pretty well, so I'm not so sure that could be the problem.
Any suggestions on what I should do? I do not like taking that fairing on and off so I'd rather fix the first time. Thanks folks.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Connect the speakers directly to the HU. Take it for a ride and see if it cuts out. Check all the speakers wiring in the process. If the problem continues there's a very good chance it's the HU.