Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Head Unit for your review.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 07:49 PM
Drkknt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Head Unit for your review.

I don't think I've seen this one talked about. What do y'all think? Worth the $$? The built in 288 watt amp kind caught my eye.

Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Factory Harley Davidson Replacement AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth & MP3 Media Player Stereo

Amazon.com: Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Factory Harley Davidson Replacement AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth & MP3 Media Player Stereo: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Factory Harley Davidson Replacement AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth & MP3 Media Player Stereo: Cell Phones & Accessories

Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Drkknt
I don't think I've seen this one talked about. What do y'all think? Worth the $$? The built in 288 watt amp kind caught my eye.

Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Factory Harley Davidson Replacement AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth & MP3 Media Player Stereo

Amazon.com: Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Factory Harley Davidson Replacement AM/FM Radio with Bluetooth & MP3 Media Player Stereo: Cell Phones & Accessories
Been there done that with better model. Outside of plug and play thumbs down from me. I had the gen 2 upper model. It's a good radio for someone who just wants to stream music and have basic functions. It will get the job done is about it

Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

+1 they're good for waterproof and use of hand controls....as far as sound quality you can't compare to a good Alpine, Sony, Kenwood. I personally wouldn't run one. The unit you posted will stream from your phone but not play from the USB, streaming is lesser sound quality also.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:42 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
+1 they're good for waterproof and use of hand controls....as far as sound quality you can't compare to a good Alpine, Sony, Kenwood. I personally wouldn't run one. The unit you posted will stream from your phone but not play from the USB, streaming is lesser sound quality also.
but... i just hooked one up to a cvb54 amp and maintained perfect fm radio reception

Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 808 Posts

I agree with Haze. I am using this radio now and it has some good stuff going for it. Plug it in and go. Do not have to buy another kit so the bar controls work. Streams music real good. Charges the phone also and is waterproof.
After having this unit for a while, the drawbacks.
Sound adjustment is not very good. This was noticed after upgrading from Kappas to 602s. I would say almost impossible to dial it in perfectly.

For someone that is not "Chasing the unicorn" or looking for perfection, and wants a radio that is simple to install and not worry about getting it wet, this is it. It does the simple things very well. This is why I bought it.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:18 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I agree with Haze. I am using this radio now and it has some good stuff going for it. Plug it in and go. Do not have to buy another kit so the bar controls work. Streams music real good. Charges the phone also and is waterproof.
After having this unit for a while, the drawbacks.
Sound adjustment is not very good. This was noticed after upgrading from Kappas to 602s. I would say almost impossible to dial it in perfectly.

For someone that is not "Chasing the unicorn" or looking for perfection, and wants a radio that is simple to install and not worry about getting it wet, this is it. It does the simple things very well. This is why I bought it.
agree. not a unit for an audiophile. as a matter of fact, im guessing most people wouldnt even feel the need to add an amp to this unit

Old 05-20-2016, 09:22 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 808 Posts

Not sure what it sounds like without a amp. When I installed mine I installed a CV B2 at the same time.
I am happy with the radio. Its nice not having to worry about it getting wet, installing a splash guard, and the charging the phone deal is very convenient. However like you stated, it is not a audiophile HU

Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Drkknt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks folks. I appreciate your insight and experience. I think I just lost my second HU to water so I'm looking at alternatives now. I'm having my stock HK unit looked at by Iron Cross but if the news is too bad I'd like to have a plan "B". I'm not an audiophile but I do appreciate good, clear sound when I hear it. That said the "technology" gets over my head real quick. What's a good, reasonably priced HU with USB, Bluetooth, AM/FM that is sure enough waterproof AND will out-of-the-box work with all the Harley handle bar controls without need of an adapter kit of sorts? And, will work good with the PBR-300X2 and Infinity Kappas I already have? Thanks , you guys rock!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks folks. I appreciate your insight and experience. I think I just lost my second HU to water so I'm looking at alternatives now. I'm having my stock HK unit looked at by Iron Cross but if the news is too bad I'd like to have a plan "B". I'm not an audiophile but I do appreciate good, clear sound when I hear it. That said the "technology" gets over my head real quick. What's a good, reasonably priced HU with USB, Bluetooth, AM/FM that is sure enough waterproof AND will out-of-the-box work with all the Harley handle bar controls without need of an adapter kit of sorts? And, will work good with the PBR-300X2 and Infinity Kappas I already have? Thanks , you guys rock!
send me a pm

Old 05-21-2016, 10:13 AM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For simple, out of the box waterproof and no handlebar interface, I think the Aquatic is it. Not sure why you even want to salvage the stock unit, I have a pile of them in the shop!

Quick Reply: Another Head Unit for your review.