Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Umbrella for your amp

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Umbrella for your amp

I bought a flimsy plastic placemat I bought at the grocery store for a dollar. Trimmed it to fit snug up against the inner fairing just over the gauges. Now if anything drips down between my windshield and outer fairing or through my fairing vent, my amp, head unit and most wire connections should stay dry. Going to try to do the same for the speakers. It's been on for a few weeks now and when I took off the fairing I also noticed where it was touching my breakout harness and was able to fix it. Now the gap in my vent is tight. Umbrella for your amp-photo141.jpg

Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM
twp98
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the same thing with a piece of thin rubber. I just hope the heat dont build up and shut my amp off.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by twp98
I did the same thing with a piece of thin rubber. I just hope the heat dont build up and shut my amp off.
The placemat is rigid enough to not blanket the amp but thin enough to fold around it, here is still a little gap of air above the amp.

Last edited by Greatsteaks; 05-18-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a slick-assed idea Greatsteaks! I really like that!

Steve

Old 05-20-2016, 03:20 PM
ihbond
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
I bought a flimsy plastic placemat I bought at the grocery store for a dollar. Trimmed it to fit snug up against the inner fairing just over the gauges. Now if anything drips down between my windshield and outer fairing or through my fairing vent, my amp, head unit and most wire connections should stay dry. Going to try to do the same for the speakers. It's been on for a few weeks now and when I took off the fairing I also noticed where it was touching my breakout harness and was able to fix it. Now the gap in my vent is tight. Attachment 472602
Just curious, was this to fix an existing issue ? Or Just a "Just in case" /

Old 05-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by ihbond
Just curious, was this to fix an existing issue ? Or Just a "Just in case" /
Just in case. I have never opened the hood right after riding in a downpour but I'm sure gets in there from the vent and or windshield.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:42 PM
ihbond
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Just in case. I have never opened the hood right after riding in a downpour but I'm sure gets in there from the vent and or windshield.
Thanks. I was thinking of putting dielectric greases in\outside some of the cavities

Old 05-21-2016, 12:48 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I live in a tropical country and when it rains around here(often) it pours big time.I've got an amp in my system and so far I've not faced any issue with water(or beer).In any case,it's a good idea.

Old 05-22-2016, 01:32 AM
MDHD
Cruiser

Really, if water gets in its going to seek the lowest point or path. what are the odds of it's really going to be an issue. I understand your concern, but I think you're fretting over something that may not be an issue. Good idea though.

Last edited by MDHD; 05-22-2016 at 02:13 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 AM
wils5150
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they give you a plastic sheet to put on your head unit in the biketronics install kit so doing the amp especially if its on the head unit make sense to me.

Quick Reply: Umbrella for your amp