Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme Budget Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Frank Renko III
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Extreme Budget Upgrade

I've been lurking and searching on here the last few days and I know what I'm about to ask goes against the wisdom of most opinions.....however I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm wanting to improve the sound on my 2015 Ultra Limited Low. Sound system is stock 6.5GT Boom System. Software is currently 1.19.2 however after reading the problems the BT Line Leveler is having will probably revert to 1.19.0 (if possible).

I have a VERY limited budget of about $250, $100 of which I already purchased an inexpensive Kenwood KAC-M1804 amp from ebay BEFORE I started actually researching. So returning is not an option. I'm thinking I would need to upgrade the front speakers as best I can and add the Biketronics Line Leveler.

The set-up I'm thinking of going with is this:
Kenwood M1804 amp for front speakers only
Lightning Audio L65 speakers for fairing
Biketronics Line Leveler

My questions are:
1. Keeping in mind my budget....will this combo work or would you recommend a different set of speakers?
2. Being the amp is 4 channel would it help to bridge it to the 2 speakers?
3. Will I lose AM/FM with this amp?

My goal is slightly louder volume and a LOT more clarity at highway speeds. I drive 62 miles each way to work and most of that is highway.

I know the general consensus will probably be to go higher end....I just can't afford it right now. Too many home projects taking priority. Thank you in advance for the help.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

On your budget the best set up for you would be these speakers:

http://www.americanbassusa.com/Speak...ers/SQ-65.html

And this Amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...RZ4-2000D.html

The Kenwood M1804 is not gonna meet your goal. Try to return it if you can and get the the Power Acoustik for about the same price. World of difference in amps. The Lightning audio speakers are totally out of the question for a bike. At 40 RMS you might as well keep the BOOM speakers. I've not known anyone to lose their FM signal on the 15's.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Renko III (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Yeah that Power Acoustik amp is night and day difference over the Kenwood.

If you only have 150.00 left, 70.00 is for a line leveler...and you'll need a few bucks for wiring. That leaves you with about 60 bucks for a set of speakers. I think those American Bass are it and if try bridging the amp and leaving your rear speakers off the headunit.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 PM
Frank Renko III
1st Gear

Originally Posted by haze324
I think those American Bass are it and if try bridging the amp and leaving your rear speakers off the headunit.
Haze....are you saying to disconnect the rears all together or to not connect them to the new amp?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Frank Renko III
1st Gear

Gannicus...thanks for the recommendations.

What will I need for wiring? Is there a kit I should look into?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
The following users liked this post:
Frank Renko III (05-14-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Frank Renko III
1st Gear
Default UPDATE to Extreme Budget Upgrade

UPDATE -
So after spending 2 days last weekend getting everything installed I finally got it all back together and tested it on a 3 day trip to Sandusky, OH. This is almost exactly what I was looking for: nice clean and loud sound with plenty of power to spare. I can actually understand the songs at 80mph and that's at only half volume (or less). Only thing that's lacking is bass but I'm not complaining based on what I spent.

Ony problem is the amp is a bit long and no matter how I try to shoehorn it in I can't get my fairing back on with a good seal all the way around. You can actually see where the corners of the amp are hitting when the fairing bolts are tightened.

Was thinking of saving a little and getting the RF PBR300x2 amp. Question is will that amp be enough to push the American Bass speakers?

Old 06-04-2016, 06:12 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Did you take the rails off the side of the amp? it should if with no issues at all.

You can try adding some polyfill inside the pod to and see if it improves bass response. I would not use the PBR, if you want a small two channel amp look for a Cerwin B2 or B52.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:59 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Frank Renko III
UPDATE -
So after spending 2 days last weekend getting everything installed I finally got it all back together and tested it on a 3 day trip to Sandusky, OH. This is almost exactly what I was looking for: nice clean and loud sound with plenty of power to spare. I can actually understand the songs at 80mph and that's at only half volume (or less). Only thing that's lacking is bass but I'm not complaining based on what I spent.

Ony problem is the amp is a bit long and no matter how I try to shoehorn it in I can't get my fairing back on with a good seal all the way around. You can actually see where the corners of the amp are hitting when the fairing bolts are tightened.

Was thinking of saving a little and getting the RF PBR300x2 amp. Question is will that amp be enough to push the American Bass speakers?
Yeah - No fitment issues with that amp as long as you take the rails off! fit's right in between the brackets like a glove! No need to change amps! The PA is going to give you the most bang for the buck!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:59 AM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Yeah that Power Acoustik amp is night and day difference over the Kenwood.

If you only have 150.00 left, 70.00 is for a line leveler...and you'll need a few bucks for wiring. That leaves you with about 60 bucks for a set of speakers. I think those American Bass are it and if try bridging the amp and leaving your rear speakers off the headunit.
Haze, i need a little schooling, a line leveler as you refer is that the same as a line driver i.e. Arc ALD?

http://www.arcaudio.com/p/lad

Quick Reply: Extreme Budget Upgrade