Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help a newbie make a smart audio purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Do your self a favor and go with the aftermarket HU the stock hu on your sled isn't all that it is out to be with amp and speakers you have on order. Get in touch with LL247 He has a great deal on an hu with install kit that keeps stock controls on bars
If I could keep it under $200-$250 I'd be in but I just looked on biketronics and the install kit is more than that

Old 05-21-2016, 10:36 AM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm all for the BT2180 and KRC combo! Although if you guys are finding KRC's for 300 they're last years model, the new ones are a bit more (not much at my pricing) but the coaxials are EC165K now. I'd be happy to give a smoking package deal on them, I'm a BT dealer too fellas. As for the head unit price range of 2-250, that's definitely workable for a head unit/install bracket/handlebar interface package.

Buy once, cry once! Be careful as this stuff gets addicting.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Well I just finished my install and everything works but it honestly doesn't seem to be as loud as I was hoping. I ended up with the pbr300/ kappa combo on the stock head unit due to budget. I set the gain just under 5 and the amp to ap. Also wrapped 2 layers of polyfill. Any one have any ideas for more volume safely? I also used the speaker inputs and turned the avc off on the head unit. Thanks in advance

Old 05-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Outkast6991
Well I just finished my install and everything works but it honestly doesn't seem to be as loud as I was hoping. I ended up with the pbr300/ kappa combo on the stock head unit due to budget. I set the gain just under 5 and the amp to ap. Also wrapped 2 layers of polyfill. Any one have any ideas for more volume safely? I also used the speaker inputs and turned the avc off on the head unit. Thanks in advance
Save your pennies and be nice with that head unit as it shows distortion at about 1/2 volume on a dd1 with a 1k 0db test tone

Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Save your pennies and be nice with that head unit as it shows distortion at about 1/2 volume on a dd1 with a 1k 0db test tone
Well at half volume it isn't even as loud as stock was maxed out. Is it safe to turn the gain up if I keep the volume at half or below? Will a new head unit make that much of a difference?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Outkast6991
Road Master

With some help from babyboy I set the gain using a multimeter. Using a 1k 0db tone I set it at 18v with the bike running. Still very very far from decent it honestly still sounds like a stock setup to me. Not really sure where to go from here. All the forum reviews here said it was a solid step up from stock but not so far for me

Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

With some help from babyboy I set the gain using a multimeter. Using a 1k 0db tone I set it at 18v with the bike running. Still very very far from decent it honestly still sounds like a stock setup to me. Not really sure where to go from here. All the forum reviews here said it was a solid step up from stock but not so far for me
Most of the reviews for that set up are likely a few years old when there weren't as many options as there are now. I too was underwhelmed when I tried that set up, but it should be louder than stock. I'd raise the gains to the 5.5 mark and set the HPF to 50-60hz and place two layers of polyfill behind the speakers. Run a search here lots of pics. Yes even the cheapest of aftermarket radios will help tons. Also to confirm you are using high level inputs and not an RCA converter with this? Those speakers will sound better with a better amp. You may lose FM reception though.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 AM
Outkast6991
Road Master

Originally Posted by haze324
Most of the reviews for that set up are likely a few years old when there weren't as many options as there are now. I too was underwhelmed when I tried that set up, but it should be louder than stock. I'd raise the gains to the 5.5 mark and set the HPF to 50-60hz and place two layers of polyfill behind the speakers. Run a search here lots of pics. Yes even the cheapest of aftermarket radios will help tons. Also to confirm you are using high level inputs and not an RCA converter with this? Those speakers will sound better with a better amp. You may lose FM reception though.
Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. The gains are set just under 6 using the mm and the speakers are wrapped in polyfill just like you said. Amp is currently in AP. Not to sure if something is wrong or I just have too high of an expectation

Old 06-01-2016, 07:50 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
im guessing those kappas are underpowered with that amp?

Old 06-01-2016, 07:54 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I really do appreciate it. The gains are set just under 6 using the mm and the speakers are wrapped in polyfill just like you said. Amp is currently in AP. Not to sure if something is wrong or I just have too high of an expectation
With that amp --- yes. Your expectations are too high. I'll be very honest, I'm not a fan of that amp. A Cerwin B2 or B52 would be a huge upgrade in both power and sound quality. I know you are on a tight budget but a HU upgrade can be done for about 150 bucks total. The metra harness is about 25.00, the ASWC is 40.00 = 65.00 and you can get a decent HU for under 100 bucks. Combine that with a B2 or B52 and it would be a new system.

Quick Reply: Help a newbie make a smart audio purchase