Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 Speakers with good bass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Why do Moto 602's deliver more bass when their specs say they have a higher low frequency then others that are considered bright?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM
mjohnson68
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you run different kinds of speakers all over the place? Having been in the car stereo stuff for 20+ years I have never heard of such a thing.

I can understand running different subs & speakers but not really for the bike.

Why not just run Focal's everywhere?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

.....because guys are typically not running subs on an ultra and are looking for better low end response in different locations. Bike and car audio are two different world man.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:05 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Why do Moto 602's deliver more bass when their specs say they have a higher low frequency then others that are considered bright?
Bass is normally determined by how much air a speaker moves. We can't hear anything under 30hz anyway. We can feel it but we can't hear it. This is especially true on a motorcycle. The Moto speakers are specifically designed for a motorcycle and subsequently move more air than your typical car speaker. That said. It also takes more power to push em. Arc has a 65hz low frequency response but they also have a 88 db sensitivity rating which is close to sub woofer sensitivity ratings. Just like subs need more power to push em so do the Motos. They are very balanced speakers made for the motorcycle environment. That's the best explanation I can give you Steaks. I know from a spec standpoint it doesn't make sense. But there is a method to the madness when talking open air speakers vs. car speakers. The Arc engineers got it figured out.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by mjohnson68
Why would you run different kinds of speakers all over the place? Having been in the car stereo stuff for 20+ years I have never heard of such a thing.

I can understand running different subs & speakers but not really for the bike.

Why not just run Focal's everywhere?
What Haze said. . .

Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Yea, I'm but I guess. Lol
Are the moto 602's any smaller in size then the BT 6.5's? I can't get the bt6.5's to fit in the pods with a 1/2" spacer, needs about 3/4"
You will need the angled spacers you have now to mount the 602's in the TP pods.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bertk
You will need the angled spacers you have now to mount the 602's in the TP pods.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to get away from if possible. They are so close to a passenger they completely block the sound coming out of them.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Bass is normally determined by how much air a speaker moves. We can't hear anything under 30hz anyway. We can feel it but we can't hear it. This is especially true on a motorcycle. The Moto speakers are specifically designed for a motorcycle and subsequently move more air than your typical car speaker. That said. It also takes more power to push em. Arc has a 65hz low frequency response but they also have a 88 db sensitivity rating which is close to sub woofer sensitivity ratings. Just like subs need more power to push em so do the Motos. They are very balanced speakers made for the motorcycle environment. That's the best explanation I can give you Steaks. I know from a spec standpoint it doesn't make sense. But there is a method to the madness when talking open air speakers vs. car speakers. The Arc engineers got it figured out.
Thanks, knew it had to be something. Are the motos rated at 88db @1w/1v or 2.83v like the focals?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
So now that focus of this thread has turned to Focal KRC's, in an effort to keep with the title of this thread a" 6.5 speaker with good bass" how would you guys rate the bass response of the Focals? And for the purpose of discussion where do you draw the line between lots of volume and giving up some bass or plenty of bass and less volume.

I mention this because I see on this forum brands and recommendation come in groups/bunches at a time. For a while it was Polks, then everyone had to have BT Pros, you go to another forum and Hertz SPL's or nothing.....but the one thing that gets discussed the least is what do these speakers sound like, AND in relation to the you entire set up how do they compliment your amp, bags or lids, etc?
I am with T on his view on the KRC's. For my front stage I have the KRC's in the fairing and the Mille Pros in the lowers connected to the BT4180 and the Kenwood x998 on a 2008 SG. The 998 is a big plus because it provides tuning that the 4180 lacks. The KRC's and Milles are both very good speakers and sound a somewhat alike other than the fact the KRC's have better SQ and are more dynamic with a very natural sound. The bass form the KRC's is not as loud as the Mille's but is a higher quality sounding natural bass. If I a choice of running only one set of speakers it would be the KRC's. Putting the two sets of speaker together thou creates a nice full range of sound that complement each other and make a very good sounding combo to my ears.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Bert, do you think you hear the difference in bass between the two speakers once you are riding? I'm sure parked or even cruising around it sounds "fuller" with the Hertz in the lowers, but if the KRC's are more dynamic and better sounding do you hear any of the bass from the lowers or is it just noise? Would it sound better on the road if they were both KRC's, but not as good parked?

I've had a bunch of speakers in my lowers and the last set were KRC's. They sounded great parked but none of the qualities of that speaker could be heard on the road. In fact my fairing is so damn loud I couldn't hear the KRC's at all.

Quick Reply: 6.5 Speakers with good bass?