Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The sound in my lowers (speakers) are screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 06:09 AM
bladeguy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Hmmm a trend is emerging. Did you guys try resetting the radio? Hell I'm also running that HU! If there is an issue I dam sure want to know about it. Now that I've time to reflect back I do faintly remember that happening on one of my installs. But it wasn't the radio. It's been a while back and for the life of me I can't remember what I did to fix it. I'll keep brainstorming until I figure it out. You guys hold on to those radio's you think are defective. I might be interested in taking them off your hands. Stuff like this is a challenge for me.
Sorry I have to return it or pay for it. I did not try resetting the radio. From the pops coming through it something terribly wrong. To give you more clues - the ozone smell started right away - really strong! After those channels went out I don't smell it anymore. This was also my first heavy rain with this unit. Could be it but it is a marine unit.

Last edited by bladeguy; 05-08-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Totally trust your troubleshooting ability G but something doesn't smell right. Are you absolutely positive the RCA's are connected correctly to the input side of the amp? and are there any Y connections involved? I've installed quite a few of those M70BT's and that issue you described is a first. Just thinking out loud here.
Hi G,
I'm using the sound stream 1000 D. It looks pretty straight forward to me unless I'm missing something. The front L/R out puts of my Sony mex gets plugged into the front L/R of the sound stream amp. The fronts are my biketronics Pros.

Those speakers jam like magic.

The Moto's Sounded like a muffled low output. Even when I cranked the gain on the amp for the rear (which are the lower motos) it didn't help.

So I disconnected my pros and fed the moto's off the mex front radio outputs and the MotoS came to life alive again just like the pro series.
I fed the pro series from the rear Sony outputs and the same problem was transferred over to my pro series speakers. The pros then sounded like crap.

Any set of speakers that has a signal fed to it from the rear Sony rca'S as an output to the amp sound like dog poop.

What ya thinking I might have missed?

Also I'm using stinger 8000 series solid RCA not twisted and I even bought an extra stinger cable and swapped it out and it made no difference. The rear radio output to m seemed to be bad. Let me know what ya think.

Last edited by Gliden; 05-08-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Gliden
Club Member

G,
My stingers are 8000 series and one side does have a "Y" built in.
I did buy an extra stinger cable and used it troubleshooting to see if my cable was bad but the new cable didn't make a difference.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by bladeguy
. Okay this is crazy! I had the Moto's in my lowers also go out with the same symptoms. I tested all kinds of combinations and found that my Sony MRX70BT had the two rear channels out. My new head unit will also be here Monday! How weird is that? I am not using line levelers so my RCA connections are correct. I did notice a strong smell of ozone every time I used the radio it must have something to do with it. I have a BT4180 amp. I hooked up Y connectors out of the front channels for a temporary fix.
That is some crazy stuff.

So how do we RESET a radio?
I have it all unplugged ready to be pulled. Is power off a reset?

Old 05-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
That is some crazy stuff.

So how do we RESET a radio?
I have it all unplugged ready to be pulled. Is power off a reset?
From page 26 in the manual.

The operation buttons do not function. The disc will not eject.
Press PTY/CAT and (back)/MODE for more
than 2 seconds to reset the unit.
The contents stored in memory are erased.
For your safety, do not reset the unit while you are driving.

The following users liked this post:
Gliden (05-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Hi G,
I'm using the sound stream 1000 D. It looks pretty straight forward to me unless I'm missing something. The front L/R out puts of my Sony mex gets plugged into the front L/R of the sound stream amp. The fronts are my biketronics Pros.

Those speakers jam like magic.

The Moto's Sounded like a muffled low output. Even when I cranked the gain on the amp for the rear (which are the lower motos) it didn't help.

So I disconnected my pros and fed the moto's off the mex front radio outputs and the MotoS came to life alive again just like the pro series.
I fed the pro series from the rear Sony outputs and the same problem was transferred over to my pro series speakers. The pros then sounded like crap.

Any set of speakers that has a signal fed to it from the rear Sony rca'S as an output to the amp sound like dog poop.

What ya thinking I might have missed?

Also I'm using stinger 8000 series solid RCA not twisted and I even bought an extra stinger cable and swapped it out and it made no difference. The rear radio output to m seemed to be bad. Let me know what ya think.
G -

You got another 4 channel Amp laying around? If so I'd plug that one in and see if you still have the same issue.

Gliden (05-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
From page 26 in the manual.

The operation buttons do not function. The disc will not eject.
Press PTY/CAT and (back)/MODE for more
than 2 seconds to reset the unit.
The contents stored in memory are erased.
For your safety, do not reset the unit while you are driving.
Interesting....I guess I can do that and retest to see if it makes any difference.
I'll try this. I have the new mex already. It came today.

Honestly I don't like screwing with this stuff after working 10/12 hour shift.
This will wait till later in the week.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Gliden
Club Member

G -

You got another 4 channel Amp laying around? If so I'd plug that one in and see if you still have the same issue.
No G...I only have the BT 2180 on a shelf. The 1000 d installed.
By the way I don't have any "y" connector like I mentioned. I have these.....
I thought the ends looked like a "y" but later saw what a real "y" is. Sorry about that.

Attached Thumbnails The sound in my lowers (speakers) are screwed up-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Gliden; 05-09-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Interesting....I guess I can do that and retest to see if it makes any difference.
I'll try this. I have the new mex already. It came today.

Honestly I don't like screwing with this stuff after working 10/12 hour shift.
This will wait till later in the week.
If it's the issue I'm thinking. You'll have the same issue on the new radio. I'll keep my fingers crossed. All I can say at this point is those SS amps are tricky sometimes. We'll see what happens when you install your new radio. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Gliden (05-11-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM
Gliden
Club Member

Now you have my attention!
I'm going to work on it some tonight.

First I'll do the reset on the old Radio before I pull it.
If that works, I'm still going to swap it just because....

If the new Radio does the same thing I'll let ya know G.
Thanks

Quick Reply: The sound in my lowers (speakers) are screwed up