Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz HCX 165 vs BT Titan 2's speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:43 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hertz HCX 165 vs BT Titan 2's speakers

I purchased a complete audio system from Biketronics, I'm using their 4ch amp and their Titans 2's speakers on my 15 RGS. I'm looking to expand the audio system with speaker lids and lower fairings speakers. However, I came across the Hertz HCX 165 for comparison I removed the BT speakers from my setup and installed the Hertz Wow, the detail, transparency is quite noticeable. Now I've been bitten by the audio bug and now I am wondering if I should replaced the BT 4 ch amp as well for an amp that I could fully customize my sound to my liking. I am limited by the BT amp, which is not a bad amp and I often rave about BT products.

My biker buddy "baby boy" from this forum has been helping me with my audio built, he told me to build around the amp that I already have and save me some $ but now I'm curious Ok more details about the BT Titan 2's and the Hertz HCX, the BT speakes sound amazing for their price, however, the Hertz are just on a whole different level. I was able to find a pre owned set of Hertz and I went ahead an forked over $120 for a pair in mint condition because I wanted to see what others were saying about these beautiful sounding speakers. Now grant it that Biketronics offers a full lifetime warranty with any of their products and that's a HUGE plus. So for the audio guru's should I try to work around the Biketronics 4ch amp or should I consider getting another amp and restarting?

Also, I am thinking of keeping the BT speakers and using them in my lower fairing setup but I don't like to mix and match components. BT offers a nice 5X7 speaker for the lids which sound quite impressive but now I am wondering if Hertz 5X7 of 6X9 will sound??? Hmmmmm... Thoughts~?

Old 05-01-2016, 05:55 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

It's not a fair comparison. BT lists the Titan II for 199.00 and we get a 10% discount. The HCX's used to sell regularly for 300 bucks. 180.00 vs 300 speaker. A closer comparison is the BT 7P1 vs the Hertz HCX's (which was the original BT line of speakers).

I don't think you'll get much more out of a different amp.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:25 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Originally Posted by haze324
It's not a fair comparison. BT lists the Titan II for 199.00 and we get a 10% discount. The HCX's used to sell regularly for 300 bucks. 180.00 vs 300 speaker. A closer comparison is the BT 7P1 vs the Hertz HCX's (which was the original BT line of speakers).

I don't think you'll get much more out of a different amp.
What kind of amp would you recommend? I've heard about the PBR 4ch amp from Rockford but I've been told that those are problematic. I don't understand by BT doesn't give you the specs on their system, such as the amp, speakers, etc. They should consider doing an amp which the customer can custom tune to his liking. But I'm sure they have their reasons~

Old 05-01-2016, 08:41 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
What kind of amp would you recommend? I've heard about the PBR 4ch amp from Rockford but I've been told that those are problematic. I don't understand by BT doesn't give you the specs on their system, such as the amp, speakers, etc. They should consider doing an amp which the customer can custom tune to his liking. But I'm sure they have their reasons~
Ok I know I gave you hard time previously but what I'm about to say is meant with no ill will. BT offers a LIFETIME warranty on their products whether you install it yourself or have a professional do it. In contrast Hertz will only warranty their amps you have a an authorized dealer install it. Think about the average joe we have on this forum buying BT. Just a few days ago you had post about speaker specs and had them backwards, you think BT is also going to let you tune an amp and offer a lifetime warranty on the amp and speakers!! Yeah right man, the average guy here would have there stuff up in smoke!

The BT line of speakers is a perfect match for that amp, and the speakers are designed by Hybrid Audio which in the car audio world is in the same category as Focal and Hertz so those speaker also sound damn good with that amp. Don't know why there is not more details posted regarding the specs of the Titan II's, but the 7P1's have sensitivity, RMS/Peak, and freq range posted. That's enough for most. So when folks say I'd like to tune this to my liking, what exactly are you trying to get from your system that you don't have right now, and why do you think two ***** would provide you that?

Old 05-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Don't know why there is not more details posted regarding the specs of the Titan II's, but the 7P1's have sensitivity, RMS/Peak, and freq range posted. That's enough for most. So when folks say I'd like to tune this to my liking, what exactly are you trying to get from your system that you don't have right now, and why do you think two ***** would provide you that?
A while back when looking at speaker I made note of the only specs I could find on the BT 6.5.

BT Titan II 6.5
Frequency Responce Hz: 50-22
Sensitivity dB: 93.2
RMS: 100
Peak: 200

Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bertk
A while back when looking at speaker I made note of the only specs I could find on the BT 6.5.

BT Titan II 6.5
Frequency Responce Hz: 50-22
That sounds about right. I know they are 100/200w. On the flip side I think we also know they don't sound as good at 50hz in comparison to Arc's when playing that low.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:07 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

Ok I know I gave you hard time previously but what I'm about to say is meant with no ill will. BT offers a LIFETIME warranty on their products whether you install it yourself or have a professional do it. In contrast Hertz will only warranty their amps you have a an authorized dealer install it. Think about the average joe we have on this forum buying BT. Just a few days ago you had post about speaker specs and had them backwards, you think BT is also going to let you tune an amp and offer a lifetime warranty on the amp and speakers!! Yeah right man, the average guy here would have there stuff up in smoke!

The BT line of speakers is a perfect match for that amp, and the speakers are designed by Hybrid Audio which in the car audio world is in the same category as Focal and Hertz so those speaker also sound damn good with that amp. Don't know why there is not more details posted regarding the specs of the Titan II's, but the 7P1's have sensitivity, RMS/Peak, and freq range posted. That's enough for most. So when folks say I'd like to tune this to my liking, what exactly are you trying to get from your system that you don't have right now, and why do you think two ***** would provide you that?
I understand what BT offers, however. This is all about "personal preference" its my personal preference to get something that I like or would enjoy more. After all I am the one making the investment, right? Now I understand what you are trying to convey and as I stated before, BT is a great company, awesome service and their lifetime warranty is by far one of the best in the industry. I know they offer a no none sense type of audio system, simple, plug and play. To some that's great but to others that just doesn't cut it. High-end audio installers don't install amps that they can't properly adjust, tune, etc. In fact, many frown upon buying an amp with no settings, etc. If I want an amp with 2 buttons or 10 that’s my choice, again, not trying to start a debate here or get into an internet forum war. And you are correct, for what BT offers is great and that can work for many, however, others will choose another route to their liking. Hybrid Audio Technologies, Hertz, Focals, etc all great audio speakers. Custom audio installation and competition audio shops only install amps that they can properly tune, so why is this? Now you can’t compare a controlled environment such as a car to an uncontrolled environment such as a motorcycle that is exposed to the elements, wind, noise, inclement weather, sun, cold, rain, etc. Like I said before, BT products are good, sound extremely well but when you experiment with something better than everything changes~

Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master

BT Titan II 6.5
Frequency Response Hz: 50-22

Hertz HCX 165
Power Handling - Peak W Power Handling - Continuous W Impedance Ω
Frequency response Hz
Sensitivity dB SPL Woofer size mm (in.) Tweeter size mm (in.)
50 ÷ 22k
165 (6”1/2) 20 (3/4”)
Woofer Voice Coil Ø mm (in.) 30

Old 05-01-2016, 09:17 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Biketronic's doesn't make the amps with no setting for any other reason than this. The average Harley rider who would install doesn't know how to properly set up an amp with gains. Most just see it as a volume ****. Now that's straight from the Horses mouth. Was told it wasn't to be offensive nor to downgrade anyone's capability. Simply for ease of installation. With most using a oem head unit to run them, as a company it makes sense the their benefit to prevent product failure. Buy what YOU want. Take the time, look over specs, ask ?'s, match as closely as possible for the setup. Guys here are only stating is that the BT amp you currently have is more than sufficient for your needs and you will likely NOT gain anything with a different amp for your speaker choices. Now go into my shoes. I have the top tier Hertz components. Way above the hcx you are looking at. Now finding a 2 channel amp that gives 250 rms per side @ 4 ohms is a challenge. Have to go 4 channel. Only thing to fit in fairing is either 200 rms range or 300rms range. I chose the 200 rms side. Now I have to go 300 rms as the 200 didn't cut it. Point is you have the perfect combo and didn't play outside the sandbox like me. Why step there if you don't have to?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:37 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
I understand what BT offers, however. This is all about "personal preference" its my personal preference to get something that I like or would enjoy more. After all I am the one making the investment, right? Now I understand what you are trying to convey and as I stated before, BT is a great company, awesome service and their lifetime warranty is by far one of the best in the industry. I know they offer a no none sense type of audio system, simple, plug and play. To some that's great but to others that just doesn't cut it. High-end audio installers don't install amps that they can't properly adjust, tune, etc. In fact, many frown upon buying an amp with no settings, etc. If I want an amp with 2 buttons or 10 that’s my choice, again, not trying to start a debate here or get into an internet forum war. And you are correct, for what BT offers is great and that can work for many, however, others will choose another route to their liking. Hybrid Audio Technologies, Hertz, Focals, etc all great audio speakers. Custom audio installation and competition audio shops only install amps that they can properly tune, so why is this? Now you can’t compare a controlled environment such as a car to an uncontrolled environment such as a motorcycle that is exposed to the elements, wind, noise, inclement weather, sun, cold, rain, etc. Like I said before, BT products are good, sound extremely well but when you experiment with something better than everything changes~
Ok. Good luck with your choices.

Quick Reply: Hertz HCX 165 vs BT Titan 2's speakers