Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jl audio xd400 amp channel issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM
HOGNIT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jl audio xd400 amp channel issue

So a friend of mine has been having issues with his speakers he thought, cutting in and out(just one of them) and now not working so he thought he had a speaker issue, so I talked him into buying some Moto 602 speakers. Installed new speakers and the same channel is not working,and doesn't want to spend anymore money on it this year, so can he run his rear speakers each to a channel and the front 2 speakers to the 1 remaining working channel without damaging the speakers till he can get a new amp?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNIT
So a friend of mine has been having issues with his speakers he thought, cutting in and out(just one of them) and now not working so he thought he had a speaker issue, so I talked him into buying some Moto 602 speakers. Installed new speakers and the same channel is not working,and doesn't want to spend anymore money on it this year, so can he run his rear speakers each to a channel and the front 2 speakers to the 1 remaining working channel without damaging the speakers till he can get a new amp?
Some more info would be helpful. What bike, HU, amp and rear speakers?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:56 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

I would run the front in 2 channel and the rear in 2 ohm off the single channel as long as they are 2 4ohm speakers. Whatever has the potential bad channel run to rear. I would investigate inputs and any potential shorts on that channel first though. Like anything man made it could happen but I would investigate further than just a speaker swap.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:58 PM
HOGNIT
Tourer

2009 streetglide,Sony head unit,xd400 4 channel amp, and Polk audio 6x9 speakers in lids

Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

2009 streetglide,Sony head unit,xd400 4 channel amp, and Polk audio 6x9 speakers in lids
Run two speakers directly off the front outputs of the Sony HU and see if both speakers work.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 AM
HOGNIT
Tourer

we know both speakers work, we swapped speakers and its just the one channel not operating. could it be the radio causing the issue before the amp? or would this just be an amp issue

Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Swap f&r RCA connections. If still no sound then amp issue or speaker wire.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:41 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

^ that.

Also, I believe that amp has 2 channel input. If it's the input for that channel try setting the amp to 2 channel input (unless) that's one of the bad channels as well. If it's the amp it could be something simple as just bad rca terminal. I'd take it to get repaired.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:46 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

we know both speakers work, we swapped speakers and its just the one channel not operating. could it be the radio causing the issue before the amp? or would this just be an amp issue
Connecting the speakers directly to the HU removes the amp from the picture and is a test to make sure the HU if functioning correctly. If both front channels function, then you have isolated the problem to wiring and the amp as Sly has suggested.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:58 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Connecting the speakers directly to the HU removes the amp from the picture and is a test to make sure the HU if functioning correctly. If both front channels function, then you have isolated the problem to wiring and the amp as Sly has suggested.
or the RCA output from the radio.

Quick Reply: Jl audio xd400 amp channel issue