Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing the bike and not damaging anything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:04 AM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Washing the bike and not damaging anything?

Searched around a little for how people are washing their bikes with speaker lids and haven't found much info. Aside from using the hydrophilic stuff that helps with rain, how is everyone protecting their speakers in their lids and bags while giving the bike a good wash?

I don't mind using the "in-between washes" detail spray cleaners, but I need to get these early season bugs off and give the bike a good polish and wax. The bike looks like a mass murder scene lol.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Washing your bike wont do any more damage to anything then Riding in the rain, think about it. Just put the nozzle on shower and don't spray the speakers directly.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:02 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

Take the bags off.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:49 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,218 Likes on 805 Posts

Optimum No rinse car wash. Or Ultima waterless wash. Leave the hose for the cars and trucks. However, regular wash will be ok like others have said

Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Optimum No rinse car wash. Or Ultima waterless wash. Leave the hose for the cars and trucks. However, regular wash will be ok like others have said
Don't use that stuff on a black bike or car, don't care what they claim, it scratches the clear coat. Microfiber, pure cotton, doesn't matter, your pushing dirt on the surface of your paint, it's love using compound. I know, I used it on a white corvette and seemed to work great, then a black VW put tiny swirl marks in the clear coat.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:28 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

I use it all the time on my vivd black RG. I use it on a lot of the customers cars I have worked on, and continually do. Do you use 2 buckets and grit guards? Proper wash techniques are more important than what you use. My customers love the no rinse washes, I even supply some of them with the product so they can try it themselves.
I did a original 65 chevelle a month ago, beautiful car. No way was I taking a hose to that.

2 years ago I spent 16 hours on a 7 series BMW in Jet black, as notorious for paint on the softer side. In 2 years I have been the only one to wash it and it has only been washed with ONR and it looks like the day I did the final go around with the owner.

If a vehicle is filthy, then a traditional wash is necessary. Proper techniques, always necessary

Old 04-21-2016, 02:44 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
I use it all the time on my vivd black RG. I use it on a lot of the customers cars I have worked on, and continually do. Do you use 2 buckets and grit guards? Proper wash techniques are more important than what you use. My customers love the no rinse washes, I even supply some of them with the product so they can try it themselves.
I did a original 65 chevelle a month ago, beautiful car. No way was I taking a hose to that.

2 years ago I spent 16 hours on a 7 series BMW in Jet black, as notorious for paint on the softer side. In 2 years I have been the only one to wash it and it has only been washed with ONR and it looks like the day I did the final go around with the owner.

If a vehicle is filthy, then a traditional wash is necessary. Proper techniques, always necessary
You should write us a few pointers man. I always look at those detailing sites and end up with hose, bucket, sponge and Meguiars wax.

I have no idea why you wanted to use a hose on a 65 Chevelle?

p.s. I've seen before and after pics of Eaglefans bike and that thing looks like new!

Old 04-21-2016, 03:04 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
You should write us a few pointers man. I always look at those detailing sites and end up with hose, bucket, sponge and Meguiars wax.

I have no idea why you wanted to use a hose on a 65 Chevelle?

p.s. I've seen before and after pics of Eaglefans bike and that thing looks like new!
Thanks for the compliment brother!
As for the hose and the chevelle, not a good idea. Spraying cars down with the hose or power washer introduces water into places that it shouldn't be. Water sits, rust. Cars back then were not made to last as long as they are today. Paint, paint techniques, undercoatings, a lot of different stuff nowadays.

Here you go my man: http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-use-rinseless-wash.html

Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member

Here is another way to do it. Not how I do it but a lot do, personal preference.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ns-method.html

Old 04-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Guess I was doing it wrong, thanks.

Quick Reply: Washing the bike and not damaging anything?