Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amp & speaker upgrade 1 side cutting out now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM
justposts
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default amp & speaker upgrade 1 side cutting out now?

My bike is a 2015 Road Glide, no flash. During the winter months I installed a PBR 300x2, Infinity Kappas, and the Biketronics line leveller. While testing it in the garage, everything was fine. Finally got a chance to get out, and first time out, within 5 minutes the right speaker starts cutting in and out. Made a crackling, popping sound. I figured it was the spade connectors I made up. Made these up to avoid cutting my factory wires. ( kappas don't use spade connectors ). Went home and took the fairing off. While I had the fairing off I unplugged and went through all the connections and even taped them up with electrical tape. Made sure everything was good. Next time out same problem. Now it's the other side cutting out. I figure it's the left side now because I switched the RCA going into the line leveller. Did 300 miles yesterday with it cutting in and out. It would cut out regardless off smooth road or rough road. I found that when it cut out, if I turned the volume up to 3/4 it would kick back in, and would cut out again in 2 mins, 5 mins or 15 mins. Couldn't predict when or why??? I figure it is either the line leveller or RCA cable. Switched the cable out today, and sure enough! On accessory in the garage, all was great! Get 1 block from home and right side is crackling and cutting out???
Called Bill at Biketronics and he isn't convinced it's the leveller?
AVC is off, and I ran ground to the battery?
I bought the amp from a member here and it was near new and worked fine when he removed it.
Any suggestions?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:25 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

did you set your gains with a DMM? I would check they're not too high.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:45 PM
justposts
Tourer

Set by ear. Had gain all the way down. Volume at 3/4. Turned up gain till it started to distort then backed it off a little.
Gain was at about 7. Bill thought that seemed a little high? After reading old posts, most guys are recommending 5-5.5. Did that today and it was fluttering and cutting out even worse than before.
Even with the bike just idling. Didn't do it while on acc.
With gain at 5.5, seemed ok in the garage, but not that loud while out riding(only went around the block).
Played around with it again tonight. Tried HP and AP etc. It's now set on AP and gain at 7. Volume at 3/4 and no distortion. Started it up, and at idle, no cutting out? No test ride tonight though. ( son in laws 30th ��)
It appeared to cut out more with gain set lower??

Last edited by justposts; 04-19-2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Pull fairing and check the RCA's.. and also see my post about RCA Line leveler connection. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-levelers.html
I love BT but I think the RCA's they send being so long, and thick/stiff (I had to coil up about 8-10" I bet) cause a potential for loose connections.
Mine is also a RG, Maybe those of us with the Shark Nose have issues with the way the cables fit, and those with the Bat Wing don't as much? Not sure,,, (because of where our amps set, and the cramped quarters above the headlight where the cables have to get to LL.)

Last edited by JimTJr; 04-19-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:15 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

I had the same issue as JimT with RCA working loose from line leveler, is in a RG also. Where do you guys have your line leveler mounted? Mine is under the bracket/plate with Velcro where CB or XM module would go (mine is on brake side) and the RCAs do stick out past the edge of the plate. I'm wondering if the outer fairing puts just enough pressure on it to work something loose, although the connection doesn't seem very tight to begin with and the same RCA cable has come loose both times even after crimping down the tabs a bit. Might try moving my line leveler to just sit in the gap behind the headlight, certainly wouldn't be any tension on it there.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:02 PM
justposts
Tourer

Looked at it again tonight after work. Wiggled everything around to try and find the problem, and when I started moving the LL I got a hiss and the volume dropped. Switched out RCA cable tightened everything up and taped the connections and zip tied everything secure. All seemed good. Buttoned everything up, pulled out of the driveway and got about 200ft when 1 side starts crackling and cutting in and out!
Absolutely won't do it on accessory in the garage! Or at idle in garage. I've got it apart again and I can't duplicate it. Even while idling and grabbing and wiggling everything possible?? Had this thing apart 6 times in the last 24 hrs. Any suggestions? I suspected the LL when I heard the hiss and volume drop. I can't get it to do that now?? If it was the amp, would it do it all the time? ( running or on accessory).

Old 04-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

JP, have you looked at the HPF settings on the LL? I have seen on more than a few occurrences that the HPF are not at the default settings and in some cases have been confused for the gain *****.
It may be a simple step back to the very basics but this is usually the shix that drives us crazy during the troubleshooting process.

Set the HPF at the marks and the gains on the ends at the 6/12 o'clock position and tune the amp from that point.

Just a thought.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 04-19-2016 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justposts (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Here are the default settings on the LL's "T" is referring to.

Attached Thumbnails amp & speaker upgrade 1 side cutting out now?-bt-ll-1-.jpg   amp & speaker upgrade 1 side cutting out now?-bt-ll-2-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
justposts (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Here are the default settings on the LL's "T" is referring to.
Awesome technical support as always BertK!!!! Thanks for the damn good pics!!!

T.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 AM
justposts
Tourer

I looked at that last night and they were at the default settings. I'll double check that again.
Last outing around the block the right side was the problem. I made sure all was secure and tight and left the RCA cable as is. I switched the speaker inputs on the LL. If the problem moves to the left side, then it would have to be the LL?
Thanks again for all the help guys. I really appreciate it! And, Bill at BT has been more than helpful.

Quick Reply: amp & speaker upgrade 1 side cutting out now?