Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Quality in-Helmet with HD Headset any Better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Audio Quality in-Helmet with HD Headset any Better?

Got an electra glide 2 months back, and run with a Nolan helmet in which I hot melt glued in just the speakers from a small stereo headset. It was an ok sounding headset wtih foam outer ear seals, which I removed to make the speakers fit into the depressions already in the helmet (Nolan sells helmets listed as "Ncom ready" which I think means you can buy a blue tooth com unit and drop it in easily). Anyway, these speakers work ok...I connected them with a coiled cord to the 7 pin connector on the gas tank and it's ok. Problem is the sound overall is pretty awful. No bass at all, tinny treble. It's like listening to Dad's old AM radio at the lake back in the 60s!

So my question is, if I buy the H-D branded headset, including the microphone, would sound quality be much better? Is there any noise cancelling or audio enhancing feature on those units that make them superior for a motorcylce application? Or would I just be out the $150 for roughly the same quality of speakers?

Even if the sound were only "somewhat" better I still might go for it, since with speakers only on the 7 pin output, I can't even access the CB radio feature. And I might like to listen to that or use it.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

This doesn't answer your question at all but I'll still throw this answer in.
Although I have the full Biketronics sound system, on Ebay, I picked up the U-Clear HB 100 Plus headset for $50.00. I attached it to my Bell Pit Boss helmet and the sound quality is amazing.
At 80 MPH, I can easily stream my music, GPS, etc. and the sound quality is pretty good. It's not perfect but tonight for example, my GF called asking my whereabouts, etc.., No problem using the device. And again, for $50, I can't complain at all.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, anything BT isn't an option. My 09 EG has the Harmon-Kardon radio which lacks BT. There is no AUX output, either, so no way to easily add any BT units. Granted I could use my cellular for calls and listening, but I want the CB feature on the HK radio, too.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:15 AM
scooterh72
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my stock 08 SG i added the intercom set up and I thought with the HD headset the music sound pretty damn good. When you take away all the outside noise of the engine and wind it truly does make a difference. I actually found on the forum a couple sets of headsets for like $75 each. Good luck

Old 04-19-2016, 10:28 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Personally, I won't be spending another dime on Harley headsets. No, the Harley headsets do not have noise cancelling or any other features to justify their cost [other than the "Harley" badge]. Sound is OK, but not significantly better then you described. In the near future, I will be looking at this: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/176-641
They are pricey, but it looks like you may be able to save $40-50 on E-bay. Watch out, however, because it appears these units are routinely priced without the lower cable; which runs another $75ish. If you want further savings, instead of the "Elite", I believe J&M has a "Performance" model which strikes me as similar quality [and price] of the Harley unit. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Drair (04-21-2016)