Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21" Wheel or digital audio upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts
Default 21" Wheel or digital audio upgrade?

I'm very happy with my setup, still don't have my lids (have to have them repainted) but I think I'll be content with the setup. Maybe upgrading the 6x9's but meh, it does what I need it to do for now so we'll see.

Now, I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm at a crossroads. It's going to be a while before I can do anything else, kids about to get his license so going to have to buy a vehicle and that kills my bike money. Before this happens, I have a little cash to do one last upgrade.

21" front wheel w/matching rotors

or

upgrade my head unit to an android tablet setup

Both are basically for the coolness factor, the android would be cooler I think but not sure the practicality of it. I'd have to take it out and lock it up every time I got off the bike, if it rains I have to put it in the bags and then I won't be able to see what's playing (still could control volume etc). Will require a lot of body work fitting the tablet mount in the fairing that I can't do, I'll have to have a local shop do it or send it off.

Man that 21" looks sooooo good! It really does change the look of the bike.

I'm stuck on which one I want to do more, can't make up my mind!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

100% the wheel.

I know dudes with the tablet set up and you lose a lot of tuning abilities. You'd need a hidden radio behind it, or external eq or DSP to do it right. So if you just have some 6.5's and 6X9's then the cost/trouble to do all of that is not really worth it. If this was a 12 speaker competition bike, with a tourpack sub -- maybe.\

Whatever finish you get your front wheel do the same to the rear (chrome it, powder coat black, etc.)

Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 AM
RatPwrd72
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd go for the wheel upgrade.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM
sponger
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Id do the wheel, but a 23" instead. Buy the harley trike triple trees for cheap and your done. If your stuck on the 21" then you really should lower the front 1"

Old 04-13-2016, 01:56 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

The 21" with nice wrapped fender. The tablet wouldn't be the most reliable nor dependable setup. Get a monotube kit for the drop. The 23" doesn't look that much of a difference for the added time and expense IMO. I like the 21". I'm dropped 2" in front. Rides well and the legend air in the rear is phenomenal.

Last edited by slyedog; 04-13-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
I'm very happy with my setup, still don't have my lids (have to have them repainted) but I think I'll be content with the setup. Maybe upgrading the 6x9's but meh, it does what I need it to do for now so we'll see.

Now, I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm at a crossroads. It's going to be a while before I can do anything else, kids about to get his license so going to have to buy a vehicle and that kills my bike money. Before this happens, I have a little cash to do one last upgrade.

21" front wheel w/matching rotors

or

upgrade my head unit to an android tablet setup

Both are basically for the coolness factor, the android would be cooler I think but not sure the practicality of it. I'd have to take it out and lock it up every time I got off the bike, if it rains I have to put it in the bags and then I won't be able to see what's playing (still could control volume etc). Will require a lot of body work fitting the tablet mount in the fairing that I can't do, I'll have to have a local shop do it or send it off.

Man that 21" looks sooooo good! It really does change the look of the bike.

I'm stuck on which one I want to do more, can't make up my mind!
Those 21-23 in wheels look dam good on a RG! You only have to buy the wheels once. Audio is a whole different story. Get the wheel man!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:25 PM
Jgity
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with the wheel....

Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 152 Posts

Agree with everyone else, go with the wheel.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 PM
09baggerdude
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wheel...100%

Old 04-13-2016, 03:39 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

I was just informed the wheel I want has a 6 week lead time!

I'd rather not rake it just yet

Quick Reply: 21" Wheel or digital audio upgrade?