Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom Stage 1 Speaker Without Amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:43 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Boom Stage 1 Speaker Without Amp

Looking for input, wondering how much improvement in sound quality would I see if you mount Stage 1 speakers without an amp?

Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

1. The Boom stuff isn't that good to begin with, and very overpriced for what they offer
2. To really notice an upgrade while on the road you need an amp
3. For not much you could do speaker and amp that would be worth the upgrade

Old 04-08-2016, 07:00 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior

The reason I ask, a gentleman I work with mentioned that he changed out his speakers on a new FLHX and reported improved sound quality, and the speaker covers are much nicer to boot.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't waste your hard earned dollars on those Boom speakers. Not a substantial difference between stock and the Booms w/ built-in tweeters. I have just a little over $300 in Infinity Kappa speakers and a Rockford Fosgate amp. Not the top of the line setup but a helluva lot better than Boom. Strictly my opinion but I suspect others will agree.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:48 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dugan
Don't waste your hard earned dollars on those Boom speakers. Not a substantial difference between stock and the Booms w/ built-in tweeters. I have just a little over $300 in Infinity Kappa speakers and a Rockford Fosgate amp. Not the top of the line setup but a helluva lot better than Boom. Strictly my opinion but I suspect others will agree.
I have read many times that the Boom audio components are grossly overpriced, I have a few questions regarding adding an aftermarket system, I know there are some very knowledgeable gents on this forum.

How is the amp switched? does the stock boom head unit have a switching connection?
I presume that power for a new amp would have to be wired directly to the battery on a new fused line.
I assume that the existing cabling to the stock speakers may be reused?
Does an added aftermarket amp require a reflash via digital tech?
How is an aftermarket amp mounted? are there Harley specific mounting brackets?
I presume the outputs of the stock head unit become the inputs to the aftermarket amp?
I would prefer a single (4) channel amp to drive (4) speakers.
At what wattage output does one have to consider the bike charging system, something I definitely do not want to get into.

I am sure that I will have more questions but here is a good start, if I were to set a budget it would be in the $800 range, thanks all for your input and suggestions.

Last edited by HardRider1; 04-08-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Covert Olds
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
I have read many times that the Boom audio components are grossly overpriced, I have a few questions regarding adding an aftermarket system, I know there are some very knowledgeable gents on this forum.

How is the amp switched? does the stock boom head unit have a switching connection? Some use the 12 volt outlet in the right pod or there is a small two wire harness on the left side with switched power.

I presume that power for a new amp would have to be wired directly to the battery on a new fused line. Along with a ground, that is the best way.

I assume that the existing cabling to the stock speakers may be reused? See answer on next question.

Does an added aftermarket amp require a reflash via digital tech? Best way for this is to use a Biketronics BT355 line level converter which uses stock high level outputs-speaker leads-and converts it to low level outputs.

How is an aftermarket amp mounted? are there Harley specific mounting brackets? Depending on the amp, their is a perfect place right on top of the stereo.

I presume the outputs of the stock head unit become the inputs to the aftermarket amp? See above answer.

I would prefer a single (4) channel amp to drive (4) speakers.
At what wattage output does one have to consider the bike charging system, something I definitely do not want to get into. That's going to depend on just how crazy you get. Most of the time, nothing is needed.

I am sure that I will have more questions but here is a good start, if I were to set a budget it would be in the $800 range, thanks all for your input and suggestions.
My answers are in bold.

Last edited by Covert Olds; 04-08-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:31 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Boom speaker only upgrade on a 14 Streetglide and it sucked. Took them out and went back to stock. I know everyone here likes to dump on Hogtunes - BUT - I installed just their speakers, no amp, and left everything else stock and the sound is a lot better. Its definitely not at the level of a full upgrade with an amp, but noticeably better than stock. And pretty cheap - about $150 or so.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior

Thanks for the input, that Biketronics has what looks like some real nice equipment. I have read sometime ago that they run special for the forum members, wonder if there is anything like that going on now or in the near future. Looks like their setup of the 2014's and up are currently out of stock. Any comments on their speaker combinations? What would be best for front fairing and back pods?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:32 AM
CallMeJus
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the code HDFORUM when you checkout

Old 04-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Thanks for the input, that Biketronics has what looks like some real nice equipment. I have read sometime ago that they run special for the forum members, wonder if there is anything like that going on now or in the near future. Looks like their setup of the 2014's and up are currently out of stock. Any comments on their speaker combinations? What would be best for front fairing and back pods?
If you want to use BT speakers in the rear pods you will need spacers for their 6.5's, 7.1's won't fit.

Quick Reply: Boom Stage 1 Speaker Without Amp