Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Biketronics amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 207 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Problem with Biketronics amp

Hello,

I recently had installed a Biketronics 4180 amp. I was told that this amp had the new electronics which negated the need for a separate line leveller i.e. It was plug and play.
At low volumes it sounds just fine, but when I crank it up the bass really washes out and sounds distorted. I have the bass setting on the system in the middle i.e. no plus or no minus - just centred.
This is the problem when playing FM radio - I haven't been able to test it using a USB device yet (got to get an IPOD soon!). Maybe the problem is radio reception related?
Any ideas what the issue might be? The speakers fitted are as recommended by Biketronics so they are compatible with the amp. ie BT7Pro in front and Alpine SPR 60 s in rear.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:17 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If your not running a line leveler from Biketronics this is your problem. The Rushmore models have to have this to tame the EQ curve of the HU.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Default Line leveler was not required I was told

Originally Posted by SBates08
If your not running a line leveler from Biketronics this is your problem. The Rushmore models have to have this to tame the EQ curve of the HU.
When I was emailing Bill at Biketronics before purchase he told me that the amp I would be getting already had the line levelling circuitry incorporated into it and didn't need an additional / external line leveller. Maybe I mistakenly got one of the older amps without this circuitry?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by clackavosticus
Hello,

I recently had installed a Biketronics 4180 amp. I was told that this amp had the new electronics which negated the need for a separate line leveller i.e. It was plug and play.
At low volumes it sounds just fine, but when I crank it up the bass really washes out and sounds distorted. I have the bass setting on the system in the middle i.e. no plus or no minus - just centred.
This is the problem when playing FM radio - I haven't been able to test it using a USB device yet (got to get an IPOD soon!). Maybe the problem is radio reception related?
Any ideas what the issue might be? The speakers fitted are as recommended by Biketronics so they are compatible with the amp. ie BT7Pro in front and Alpine SPR 60 s in rear.
There is no line leveling built into the BT amp. Your BT kit should have come with two of these Line Levelers. Check your BT invoice. Was the bike ever flashed by a dealer? And who did the install?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Default Don't have invoice

Originally Posted by Bertk
There is no line leveling built into the BT amp. Your BT kit should have come with two of these Line Levelers. Check your BT invoice. Was the bike ever flashed by a dealer? And who did the install?

I accidentally deleted the invoice from my email, but as far as I know I never had a line leveller as part of the package (I was told I wouldn't need one)
My dealer did the install. I was told by Biketronics that no flash was needed with this unit.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Granted my kit was for my Roadglide but I think you are just misunderstanding, which is what I did until I got and installed my kit. I asked if I needed a line leveler, and got from the conversation the same as you. However, when my kit arrived, it had a line leveler in the kit. So what he had meant was that I didnt need to order the line leveler seperate, as the kit included one, not that the amp had one built in.

Of course it didnt help much that I dont know very much about the whole stereo thing.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

I accidentally deleted the invoice from my email, but as far as I know I never had a line leveller as part of the package (I was told I wouldn't need one)
My dealer did the install. I was told by Biketronics that no flash was needed with this unit.
I would suggest calling BT and see what they have to say.

If you ordered them online you should be able to view the invoice after logging in.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chucks1911
Granted my kit was for my Roadglide but I think you are just misunderstanding, which is what I did until I got and installed my kit. I asked if I needed a line leveler, and got from the conversation the same as you. However, when my kit arrived, it had a line leveler in the kit. So what he had meant was that I didnt need to order the line leveler seperate, as the kit included one, not that the amp had one built in.

Of course it didnt help much that I dont know very much about the whole stereo thing.
That is correct. If you order a 2014+ amp kit and using the stock HU then the LL's come with the kit.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

My dealer did the install.
Open the fairing and see if they're installed.

Edit to add hbsoldier's photo for reference with the 2 LL's to the left of the amp

Last edited by Baeseman1; 04-07-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Default Altrnative to line leveler?

Originally Posted by SBates08
Is it possible to hook up the system without a line leveller?
It's just that Biketronics has come back to me saying there must be something between the radio speaker outputs and the amp RCA inputs. It should be a line leveller but if one is not present can a connection still be made, say with an adapter cable?
I am going to get the dealership to check to see how it is connected when I get the bike serviced on Monday but I'd like to know if it is possible to make a connection between the radio and amp without a line leveller?

Quick Reply: Problem with Biketronics amp