Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker grills with built in tweeter pod

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:33 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Speaker grills with built in tweeter pod

Anyone make a speaker grill with a built in tweeter pod for components? Would it sound better or are coaxial the best choice for a motorcycle going down the highway? Got to admit the Harley Boom ii speakers look cool imo.
Speaker grills with built in tweeter pod-photo794.jpg

Old 03-30-2016, 07:42 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Any brand you see that makes it for a bike is a gimmick speaker.

You can however have custom grills made to hold a tweeter. Legacy Baggers makes them.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by haze324

You can however have custom grills made to hold a tweeter. Legacy Baggers makes them.
Other then looking cool, do they have any sound benefit at highway speed?

Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324

Benji isn't offering any Road Glide grills yet, for the record

Cameron @ Bad Azz Bikes is modding stock RG grills and says he'll be offering customs soon

Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

They said they can't make a grill to support the weight of a tweeter.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:58 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

I will be using hawg wired steel mesh grills. Use the hole punch press at work and tweeter is mounted. This is the only affordable way to run separates without being a convertible. The advantage here is better quality speaker systems without being limited to a coaxial or convertible system. I have seen quite a few people do what I am doing and have no issues. Hell tweeter only weighs 1 or 2 ounces tops.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Other then looking cool, do they have any sound benefit at highway speed?
Let me try and put this in "IMHO" cave man terms cause when Haze and SD start chatting I kind of get that dawg watching TV look.
You will soon notice that for the most part practical coax speakers are no longer available as you climb the speaker food chain so component set ups at the higher levels are generally all u have (considering our space limits). So in theory that set up really is going to deliver the best sound once u reach that level of sled audio. The ideal crossover point to fairing components has many factors so be careful about making the move. I will not pull gauges to put tweets or horns so I may never reach such crossover point (famous last words). I will also not mount tweets in the batwing on the outside of the speaker hole as the perceived benefit would actually become a degradation in driver audio reception thus coax mounted in your face is going to be much more Bueno than a tweet mounted way out in the elements, the wind, and also on the other side of your hangers & controls Again IMHO.

Note: if you can get them mounted in the grill then game on!!!!! I'm just not at that point, yet.

I will let the pros chime in about the benefits, crossover point, and legitimate products that drive such crossover but take ur time Brotha as your current setup is going to hit hard in every category. Maybe a 2016 winter project?

T.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
I will be using hawg wired steel mesh grills. Use the hole punch press at work and tweeter is mounted. This is the only affordable way to run separates without being a convertible. The advantage here is better quality speaker systems without being limited to a coaxial or convertible system. I have seen quite a few people do what I am doing and have no issues. Hell tweeter only weighs 1 or 2 ounces tops.
I'll be looking forward to some pics of your progress.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:41 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Just resurrected Pics of where I mounted my tweet's of the KPS components on my Batwing!! I thought it was a good location for the tweets nice and high near ear level and unobstructed straight to my ears!! Look at thread above (below) this one ; pics of my install'...from previous century!! LMAO

Last edited by Moto Mike; 03-31-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:25 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Ok here are a few samples given to me by some whom have done my plan. I will also spray the tweet with a waterproof repellant the has been stated not to affect performance. Cycle sound grill cloths on order to go behind the grills. I don't perceive any issues doing this. I can get one of the best front stage Hertz makes outside of horns ( which you can't mount in grills) and still not have anything drilled in fairing. My issue with drilling fairing is #1 it's been painted and wasn't cheap,#2 if that speaker dies and you can't find another (discontinued or whatever) you are screwed,#3 I may change stuff again down the road and replacing grills is a lot cheaper than filling and repaint the inner fairing.
I will center my tweet. One of the examples is offset. It works fine but I'll go center. I am calling my new setup project ZED and will keep it updated as stuff arrives and I get around to the install.

The following users liked this post:
mstng5point0 (11-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Speaker grills with built in tweeter pod