Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BT4180 & (4) 602's 14 Ultra..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:28 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

The polarity of the Arc Moto 602 questions gets asked often because they are not marked. Any time I get a pair of speakers that are not marked I test them with a battery (as suggested above) and mark them. Here's a pic of 602.

Attached Thumbnails BT4180 & (4) 602's 14 Ultra..?-arc-moto-602.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Genius
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well I was able to figure out the polarity, found a 9V in the Fire Alarm...
I used it on the stock speaker and the 602 just to clarify things for me.

So I get everything installed, nice clean job I might add...
All back together other than putting the fairing back on which will fit well,
I got all the wires tucked away as neat & tight as possible.
I turn the system on and right away I hear a problem!
The rear speakers sound like a transistor radio.
I go to fade to the rear to hear better and it fades to the front, no problem
just switch the RCA cables on the amp. looking at the instructions (picture) I was sure I had it right...
So after I switch the cables the poor sound moved to the front.
I checked every wire on all the connectors & amp to make sure the polarity is in line. I also checked the Line Levelers which are in the default position Gain and HPF
For the most part I'm sure I'm good on my end, seeing how the poor sound will move from frt to rear by switching the RCA cables.
As of now I kinda think I got a bad LL or a bad channel in the amp?
Tomorrow I'll try and rule out a bad LL or RCA cable.
Any thoughts??

Old 03-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Genius

just switch the RCA cables on the amp. looking at the instructions (picture) I was sure I had it right...
I checked every wire on all the connectors & amp to make sure the polarity is in line. I also checked the Line Levelers which are in the default position Gain and HPF
For the most part I'm sure I'm good on my end, seeing how the poor sound will move from frt to rear by switching the RCA cables.
Any thoughts??
Really make sure u have a good peek at the LL default settings. The little tiny arrows in there can pull a fast one on even our eagle eyed brothers. The HPF on top of the LL really should not be moved from the true default position. Make sure the mini arrow is set on the lines on the top part of the LL. Now set the gains (the ends of the LLs) by turning them all the way to the left / counter clockwise. Set Fade to front. Set the volume at 3/4 and slowly turn the gain up till the first indication of distortion. Then back it off a click or so. I bet the 12 to 2 o'clock position will be the sweet spot. Repeat for the rear.

Not at all a fan of the BT RCAs. Find some 10 buck 18" RCAs down at any audio shop and make the change.

If those 2 don't correct it I bet u either have a bad LL or a crossed up or bad connection.

Last but not least, try and do a hard power down followed by a radio reset as it could have gotten snake bit during all of the excitement. Not sure what HU u have but if it's the Rushmore, that sucker is a bit sensitive to new and exciting things, like amps and speakers that u can actually hear.

Good luck bro!!!

Last edited by Tailwind; 03-26-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:11 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Genius

Any thoughts??
Greatsteaks had a similar problem and it turned out to be the breakout harness. Here's the thread in question. A couple of others have had problems with the BO harness also.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:29 AM
Genius
Cruiser

Yeah this sucks, my issue sounds just like the one Greatsteaks had...?
Im headed back out to my shop now to double check and follow advice above.
Hopefully Greatsteaks will chime in and give me some details on exactly what he found & did. Last nite I did check all the smaller plugs & wires...all seemed fine
but I was tired and well you know...!! I'm also gonna PM Greatsteaks
Thanks Guys !

Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Greatsteaks had a similar problem and it turned out to be the breakout harness. Here's the thread in question. A couple of others have had problems with the BO harness also.
Damn good catch here Bert!!!!

T

Old 03-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Well I'm chiming in. My problem was with the front channel but doesn't really matter. Figure out which plug Coming out of the bo harness audio out from the HU(one of the plugs that the line leveler plugs into) is the front and rear. Swap either set of color matched wires in the 4 wire plug(it can be tricky search how to do it, you have to open up the little plastic door on the rear of the plug, slide in a tiny screw driver or pin down the wire connector of the wire you want to remove, lift up on a tab and slide the wire out). It doesn't matter which set as long as they are the same color one having a line on it, either the left set or right set. Then put it back together. Hope that helps.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Genius
Cruiser

[QUOTE=Greatsteaks;14981658]Well I'm chiming in. My problem was with the front channel but doesn't really matter. Figure out which plug Coming out of the bo harness audio out from the HU(one of the plugs that the line leveler plugs into) is the front and rear. Swap either set of color matched wires in the 4 wire plug(it can be tricky search how to do it, you have to open up the little plastic door on the rear of the plug, slide in a tiny screw driver or pin down the wire connector of the wire you want to remove, lift up on a tab and slide the wire out). It doesn't matter which set as long as they are the same color one having a line on it, either the left set or right set. Then put it back together. Hope that helps.[/QUO

Thanks..and yes not that it matters but its my front also..
So my wires coming out of the HU are color matched to the LL (strips & solid)
Are you saying you had to miss match them there at the HU plug because they were out of polarity in another location..? Or could you see that yours was missed match.
Did you switch polarity on both L&R channels

Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

[quote=Genius]
Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Well I'm chiming in. My problem was with the front channel but doesn't really matter. Figure out which plug Coming out of the bo harness audio out from the HU(one of the plugs that the line leveler plugs into) is the front and rear. Swap either set of color matched wires in the 4 wire plug(it can be tricky search how to do it, you have to open up the little plastic door on the rear of the plug, slide in a tiny screw driver or pin down the wire connector of the wire you want to remove, lift up on a tab and slide the wire out). It doesn't matter which set as long as they are the same color one having a line on it, either the left set or right set. Then put it back together. Hope that helps.[/QUO

Thanks..and yes not that it matters but its my front also..
So my wires coming out of the HU are color matched to the LL (strips & solid)
Are you saying you had to miss match them there at the HU plug because they were out of polarity in another location..? Or could you see that yours was missed match.
Did you switch polarity on both L&R channels
They were cross wired in the bo harness, the wires in the plug were color matched correctly. I tested continuity on every wire in the bo harness. Swap just one set(two wires) of the same color wires(one solid and one the same color with a stripe on it) you could probably make 4 temporary jumper wires to test it first. You might want to swap the front with rear at the bo harness(the plugs going into the LL) first and make sure the problem still switches from front to rear. If not, the problem would be ahead of the bo harness. Have you tried just completely swapping ll's not just the rca's at the amp? I would rule out a bad LL first. If it's not the bo harness and not a LL it must be in the amp.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

This may be of help.

Attached Thumbnails BT4180 & (4) 602's 14 Ultra..?-2015-hu-plug.jpg  

Quick Reply: BT4180 & (4) 602's 14 Ultra..?