Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing Speaker Videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
I had it on the road today and sure enough you and Slye are correct. I didn't like the way it sounded at all. I changed the EQ to Jazz and that helped some. I should have tried Natural with Drive EQ but didn't get a chance. So I will do as Slye suggested and adjust the EQ.

In the meantime I have to troubleshoot an electrical problem that's causing erratic behavior between the hand controls and the 998. I can't make any changes on the 998 without having the ignition on ACC. Then when I do all the light on the 998 will flash. Today while riding when I pulled the brake lever the volume display comes up and the volume goes up and down on it's own. The same will happen with the right turn signal, but only sometimes. To make things worse, when I got home I could not repo any of this in the driveway with the bike running. I did ground the 998 to the triple tree.

Never had anything like this happen with the stock HU installed.
What interface module are you using? Biketronics hawg wired, etc. The ground as long as it is bare metal should be sufficient for a head unit. My old diy compressor was grounded there and worked fine before I changed systems. Check the face of the head unit by detaching and reattach it. May have worked loose.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
What interface module are you using? Biketronics hawg wired, etc. The ground as long as it is bare metal should be sufficient for a head unit. My old diy compressor was grounded there and worked fine before I changed systems. Check the face of the head unit by detaching and reattach it. May have worked loose.
Good point Slye. I didn't even think about the face. I like to troubleshoot starting with the simple first.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry I was running out the door, so answer the rest of your questions, it's a BT module, second one actually. If the face plate doesn't help I'll recheck the TT ground.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Slye: Today I started troubleshooting the 998 problems. Turned on the system and pushed the Select button and the HU went into retrieving mode. So good at least I able to repo one of the problems. Turned it off, removed the face. Inspected all the connections and they looked good by eye. I put some Dielectric grease on the connections and reinstalled the face. The controls worked correctly at first then started acting up when pushing buttons. What I found is the face moves side to side slightly. So what is happening when I touched a button the face moves causing the display to act up. I suspect this was the problem going down the road also. I can manually slide the face side to side and repo the problem. If this HU was in a car I suspect it would do the same thing.

Haze: You mentioned switching out to the
Metra Install Kit Metra Install Kit
to help make the 998 more secure. Do you think this would help in this case?

Slye & Haze, do you think this a defect and should just have the HU replaced?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Slye: Today I started troubleshooting the 998 problems. Turned on the system and pushed the Select button and the HU went into retrieving mode. So good at least I able to repo one of the problems. Turned it off, removed the face. Inspected all the connections and they looked good by eye. I put some Dielectric grease on the connections and reinstalled the face. The controls worked correctly at first then started acting up when pushing buttons. What I found is the face moves side to side slightly. So what is happening when I touched a button the face moves causing the display to act up. I suspect this was the problem going down the road also. I can manually slide the face side to side and repo the problem. If this HU was in a car I suspect it would do the same thing.

Haze: You mentioned switching out to the Metra Install Kit to help make the 998 more secure. Do you think this would help in this case?

I am not going to say it is shot but at this point I have doubts. Has it gotten wet at any point that you have had it? The side to side may be normal. Hard to say there as some units have more play than others over time. The bad side is sending off for warranty repair can be a long process. Before sending it off I would test out of bike by hooking up to a 12v source and see if it acts up out of the bike. I would be ready to start shopping though.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:39 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

I am not going to say it is shot but at this point I have doubts. Has it gotten wet at any point that you have had it? The side to side may be normal. Hard to say there as some units have more play than others over time. The bad side is sending off for warranty repair can be a long process. Before sending it off I would test out of bike by hooking up to a 12v source and see if it acts up out of the bike. I would be ready to start shopping though.
The 998 was purchased in January, never been wet. It's only been out on the road 3 or 4 times. I am hoping it would be replaced.

How would I connect it to a 12v source?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:53 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I used the metra kit on a new unit after a previous 998 kicked the can on me.

I've had no issues since.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
I used the metra kit on a new unit after a previous 998 kicked the can on me.

I've had no issues since.
Thanks Haze, just ordered one.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Haze: You mentioned switching out to the Metra Install Kit to help make the 998 more secure. Do you think this would help in this case?

Bert, after reading your post I went into the garage and tried to move my face plate manually, my face did not move or short out! I think you have a defective unit.. should be covered under warranty... good luck Bro! !

Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Bert, after reading your post I went into the garage and tried to move my face plate manually, my face did not move or short out! I think you have a defective unit.. should be covered under warranty... good luck Bro! !
Thanks for checking Mike. I think you are correct. As a troubleshooting step I squeezed some of that flat packing material abut 1/8" thick on each side of the face plate to stabilize it. If this takes care of the problem then I'll know for a fact it's the FP connection and ship it back. The Excelon models have a 2 year warranty.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairing Speaker Videos