Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Fairing Speaker Videos

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
Try 60hz
18db slope
on the lowers.
I would also go 18db on the fairing set. leave at 70 and see if the lowers will give the bottom end to even it out.
Thanks SD, I will make these changes this afternoon.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply's everyone. The Moto's do sound the best.

I hope this help for anyone on the fence who is considering installing lowers.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by slyedog
Try 60hz
18db slope
on the lowers.
I would also go 18db on the fairing set. leave at 70 and see if the lowers will give the bottom end to even it out.
Made the changes you suggested and it definitely sounds better. I was going to set the fade back to 0 but I forgot. The fade is set 2 to the rear, 602's.
Here's the User EQ I'm using also.

Attached Thumbnails Lower Fairing Speaker Videos-user-eq-3-20-16.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
slyedog (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:05 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Made the changes you suggested and it definitely sounds better. I was going to set the fade back to 0 but I forgot. The fade is set 2 to the rear, 602's.
Here's the User EQ I'm using also.
Good deal. I have a pattern to make my mids levels more tame beyond the 1k range. I may need to try to adjust that dealing with a different sound enviroment than car acoustics but I go from around +4 at first band dropping in 1 increment to where 5th band is around 0 and keep it flat till 6th -7th and then go back up 1 increment and 13th band is around 4 again. I'll double check when I get home. My last few decks were a 7 band so the extra changes they way I am used to setting. Kind of follow this curve to get more bass and less of a twang from the upper mid range. It's a lot about music preference, personal sound taste, so forth. I figured you would gain a little more response bumping the hpf down a tad and increasing the freq cutoff db to 18.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:46 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Made more changes to the 998. It sounds better to me.
Fade is set to 0.
602 speaker Gain set to 0 (was set to -1) Mille's are set to -1 as before.
Made some changes to the EQ. Pic below and a video
Lower Fairing Speaker Videos-user-eq-3-27-16-small.jpg

Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
bobbyjoes
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds awesome Bert,great job

Old 03-27-2016, 11:35 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Bert,

Are you setting your EQ in your garage or out in the open at the volumes you would play your tunes while on the road. I would think something like Sly's curve would be more useful on the road. You have four mid range speakers, yet your EQ is raising the majority of the midrange freqs. I would think at volumes those freqs would clip/max first with those settings keeping you from the most volume you could squeeze out of those speakers.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by haze324
Bert,

Are you setting your EQ in your garage or out in the open at the volumes you would play your tunes while on the road. I would think something like Sly's curve would be more useful on the road. You have four mid range speakers, yet your EQ is raising the majority of the midrange freqs. I would think at volumes those freqs would clip/max first with those settings keeping you from the most volume you could squeeze out of those speakers.
I had it on the road today and sure enough you and Slye are correct. I didn't like the way it sounded at all. I changed the EQ to Jazz and that helped some. I should have tried Natural with Drive EQ but didn't get a chance. So I will do as Slye suggested and adjust the EQ.

In the meantime I have to troubleshoot an electrical problem that's causing erratic behavior between the hand controls and the 998. I can't make any changes on the 998 without having the ignition on ACC. Then when I do all the light on the 998 will flash. Today while riding when I pulled the brake lever the volume display comes up and the volume goes up and down on it's own. The same will happen with the right turn signal, but only sometimes. To make things worse, when I got home I could not repo any of this in the driveway with the bike running. I did ground the 998 to the triple tree.

Never had anything like this happen with the stock HU installed.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobbyjoes
sounds awesome Bert,great job
Thanks Bobby. Sounded good inside but not on the road.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:37 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Bert it's good to see your getting the hang of it. Although my curve my not quite meet your taste my goal is that keeping the midrange more flat will allow you to have a little more audible lower and upper end without drowning them out with the midrange boosted so highly. A lot of trial and error. I've had many decks over the years with built in eq's and spent countless days finding sweet spots. Thankfully I had a lot of hell along the way from many audio competition friends that guided me. Keep plugging away and keep that 500-5k or so area as flat as possible. If you find the upper spectrum to shrill or overwhelming then use some attenuation if possible in the crossover networks if you have them. Good Luck, Ride Safe and jam on.

Quick Reply: Lower Fairing Speaker Videos