Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-Lo Inputs Upgrading On A Budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:51 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hi-Lo Inputs Upgrading On A Budget

So here is the dealio, I am installing a PBR300 and Infinity Kappa 62.11 on my 03 Glide. I need to keep the stock HU for now and mostly I listen to my I-Pod while riding. Front fairing only. I need to use the high level inputs for now so any advice on this? I plan to cut the harness as advised in the instructions for the amp inputs and hook up that way for now. I know the low level is the best but ain't going that way for right now. I am going to run 10 gauge pos/neg from the battery fused of course. I plan on mounting the amp on top of the HU maybe with a plastic or aluminum plate to use as a buffer between the amp and HU. What I am asking for is any suggestions on doing this. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_oh
So here is the dealio, I am installing a PBR300 and Infinity Kappa 62.11 on my 03 Glide. I need to keep the stock HU for now and mostly I listen to my I-Pod while riding. Front fairing only. I need to use the high level inputs for now so any advice on this? I plan to cut the harness as advised in the instructions for the amp inputs and hook up that way for now. I know the low level is the best but ain't going that way for right now. I am going to run 10 gauge pos/neg from the battery fused of course. I plan on mounting the amp on top of the HU maybe with a plastic or aluminum plate to use as a buffer between the amp and HU. What I am asking for is any suggestions on doing this. Thanks in advance!
Don't need the plastic or aluminum plate Mike. Go to home depot and get yourself some industrial Velcro. Cover the bottom of the amp with two strips and place two strips on the radio. Amp is secure and won't move.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

that amp sounds better with High level inputs anyways!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Never did like the idea of cutting into that harness, Why not just cut the front speaker wires, Run them to amp input and run some new wires from amp to speakers?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM
mike_oh
Road Master

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Never did like the idea of cutting into that harness, Why not just cut the front speaker wires, Run them to amp input and run some new wires from amp to speakers?
I was referring to the harness that comes with the amp. I agree with you that cutting into the bikes wiring harness is less than desirable.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
that amp sounds better with High level inputs anyways!
Yes it does, cut the RCA ends off that you speak of, wire it up, use the HP, HZ @ 80 and the gain at 5 and enjoy!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM
mike_oh
Road Master

Originally Posted by barrygreen
Yes it does, cut the RCA ends off that you speak of, wire it up, use the HP, HZ @ 80 and the gain at 5 and enjoy!
Damn! I had it all set up to go with a Kicker high/low converter but I really do trust you guys as I have no experience with this stuff. I always thought low inputs would be better but I will go with whatever you guys say, just need some reassurance on doing it with the high level inputs. I have been waiting on some new speaker grilles as I had that J&M crap speakers in there from years ago and had to order new stock grilles which will be here today and I was going to wrap up the install. Cutting those wires and going high level is no problem just need to hear that is the way to go! Thanks!

Old 03-28-2016, 03:46 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Yes 100% the way to go.

You normally get better sound quality with low level inputs, but that amp sounds much better with a higher input voltage that you get from high level inputs. So whatever minimal soundquality you lose with this specific amp you gain in volume and dynamic sound. I wouldn't think twice about it with that specific amp.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

The amp is designed to handle the hi level inputs.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, high level inputs with the PBR300x2. That's what I used with my stock HK HU, and it sounded decent.

Quick Reply: Hi-Lo Inputs Upgrading On A Budget