Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M Rokker vs Biketronics for 2014-2016 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatsteaks
Thanks all, what turned you off about the JM setup?

I just got off the phone with BT. They recommended the 4180 amp, 7.1 non pro speakers for the front, Alpine spr60 6.5 speakers and a metric terminal adapter for the rear, and a break out harness.

Will I need an adaptor or spacer for the rear?

I have read the thread on the line levelers(included with the amp I think). It all seams a little complicated to be honest. Will I have to tune this myself? My bike has the no amps, 4 speaker(front fairing, rear pods on) flash.
The JM was just bright as hell. No warmth or bass. It's 2 ohm at 125 each so should u want to change speakers u are extremely limited. Not many good 2 ohm speaks other than the Kappas, some Focals, and a few others.

Ur in a very good place with the BT4180 as the will power damn near any speaker going. Do some research on the BT speakers. Some folks absolutely luv the sound while others place different speakers a bit higher on the list. Don't think u will find anyone say anything bad about them in any way but just make certain u do a little research first.
Had a buddy just pulled the trigger on the BT4180 setup but is going with Hertz Millies and Arc Motos for his Limited. We can provide very good sources for audio pricing should u move away from BT 7.1s and Alpine, which is a very good setup. LL is a forum sponsor and damn good guy so if ur curious about price for compatible speaks, reach out to him asap so u can have great info for your decision making.

Also, keep an eye on the active thread titled BT4180 Made Easy that Sun Devil has started as he is just beginning his install and providing excellent step by step details.

No flash will be needed as your HU is already set perfect for this install.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 03-15-2016 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greatsteaks (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

The Biketronics line levelers are preset from company but are adjustable.
The 4180 amp along with the 2180 amps are auto adjust.
The Alpine speakers will drop in the rear pods with no adapter.

Greatsteaks (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks, but you guys suck, lol. I was trying to take the guess work out of all this. I'm pretty easy to make happy as I have a neutral ear however I can't even hear what song is playing at 70+ mph with an open face flipped up shield helmet on. I don't need loud, I want clairity. My wife on the other hand was a muscian(guess once a muscian always a muscian) and can pick sound apart.

When I put my jm system on hold with direct cycle parts the guy said they sell both jm and BT and said they have both systems on two different bikes. He said the BT was louder but jm was clearer. Said he would match any price on either system or component they sell but thought I was crazy for not staying with jm. I can tell most members choose BT hands down. Wish I, or my wife could listen to both.

Also, are rear pod speakers worth it? For my wife mainly as I can't even hear the stock ones faded all to rear.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Her you go Brotha. May not be your favorite type of tunes but the songs tend to test the systems.

First vid is JM w Focal, Second is BT4180 with Focal, and third is BT4180 w Focal and additional AMP for ARC Motos inside the bags. Keep in mind that the volume on the first vid is at 90% while the others at about 65%

Wish I had some BT 7.1s but there are plenty of good vids floating around with that set up.

Your wife will be able to tell the difference without a doubt.

Hope this helps.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 03-15-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Greatsteaks (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Thanks, but you guys suck, lol. I was trying to take the guess work out of all this. I'm pretty easy to make happy as I have a neutral ear however I can't even hear what song is playing at 70+ mph with an open face flipped up shield helmet on. I don't need loud, I want clairity. My wife on the other hand was a muscian(guess once a muscian always a muscian) and can pick sound apart.

When I put my jm system on hold with direct cycle parts the guy said they sell both jm and BT and said they have both systems on two different bikes. He said the BT was louder but jm was clearer. Said he would match any price on either system or component they sell but thought I was crazy for not staying with jm. I can tell most members choose BT hands down. Wish I, or my wife could listen to both.

Also, are rear pod speakers worth it? For my wife mainly as I can't even hear the stock ones faded all to rear.
I don't run either, but have tested/tried A LOT of different set ups. One thing I would say is that it's hard to take the advice of a sales guy. The answer he's providing you is very limited and with a catch that he'll match any price. Could one argue that one system is clearer than the other, well that IS an opinion....but is this opinion based on how you it sounds parked at a moderate volume level or at speeds when it matters? How about the type of music?

I'd rather take the advice of the three guys on this thread that have had both systems and are not trying to sell you something. Please don't take this the wrong way you but you seem to have convinced yourself of J&M and continue to look for ways to validate that purchase. At 1250.00 that's a good chunk of change so I can see why......but like I said there's guys here that have been there done that.

Good luck with your decision.

Greatsteaks (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Her you go Brotha. May not be your favorite type of tunes but the songs tend to test the systems.

First vid is JM w Focal, Second is BT4180 with Focal, and third is BT4180 w Focal and additional AMP for ARC Motos inside the bags.

Wish I had some BT 7.1s but there are plenty of good vids floating around with that set up.

Your wife will be able to tell the difference without a doubt.

Hope this helps.

J&M 500W w Rokker XX and Focal Lids 2014 SGS - YouTube

BT4180 Focal K2 Focal AC690 - YouTube

NXV BT4180 Focal Motos - YouTube

T.
Thanks! I'll have to have the wife listen to them. I can't tell the difference between the two different amps, lol.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks! I'll have to have the wife listen to them. I can't tell the difference between the two different amps, lol.
She will indeed tell the difference.
The main point for u if you cannot really tell the sound quality difference is the volume. The first vid is damn near all ur gonna get so get the sled out of this controlled environment with no engine running and imagine that volume at 80mph with some good exhaust noise and ur gonna have some pretty huge regrets.
The other 2 vids are just at the tailgate party getting warmed up, with plenty of volume to spare with good clarity all the way up. I currently run no more that about 65 to 75% volume at 80mph.

Take ur time, as this gets damn expensive to do twice, trust me as I got that damn t-shirt.

T.

Greatsteaks (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Greatsteaks
Road Master

Originally Posted by haze324
I don't run either, but have tested/tried A LOT of different set ups. One thing I would say is that it's hard to take the advice of a sales guy. The answer he's providing you is very limited and with a catch that he'll match any price. Could one argue that one system is clearer than the other, well that IS an opinion....but is this opinion based on how you it sounds parked at a moderate volume level or at speeds when it matters? How about the type of music?

I'd rather take the advice of the three guys on this thread that have had both systems and are not trying to sell you something. Please don't take this the wrong way you but you seem to have convinced yourself of J&M and continue to look for ways to validate that purchase. At 1250.00 that's a good chunk of change so I can see why......but like I said there's guys here that have been there done that.

Good luck with your decision.
Not taken the wrong way at all and I was waiting for someone to say just the same thing like, THEN JUST GO BUY THE J&M AND GO AWAY, or THEN WHY DID YOU ASK FOR ADVICE, lol. I think I'm sold on the 4180 at least. I would need the 4180.14 for my 15 ultra right?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:59 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Ok I don't post vids much but you need to hear the difference. BT 4180 amp, 7.1s in the fairing, 6.5s in the lowers and nothing in the rears in this vid. Volume at 25 on Sony HU. Normally run volume around 32-38 on the highway.

Greatsteaks (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 06:04 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

It's video time!!!

Here my old bike running Sony HU, BT 4180, 7P1 in the fairing, BT 6.5 in the lowers and Pioneer 6X9 inside the bags. I would consider this a very moderate system (considering the Pioneers cost 70 bucks!).

http://vid7.photobucket.com/albums/y...4/IMG_2864.mp4

Greatsteaks (03-15-2016)

Quick Reply: J&M Rokker vs Biketronics for 2014-2016 ultra