Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 FLTRXS on a severe budget

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM
beatlesfab4fan
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Haze,

I added a few more questions to the above post but now I have an additional question.

When I mount the Kappas, should I run a bead of silicone between the speaker and the front of the pod or is it unneccesary? Also what about adding polyfil inside the pod?

Thanks for all the help,

Mike

Last edited by beatlesfab4fan; 03-06-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: fixed a few typos.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by beatlesfab4fan
Thanks Haze,

I added a few more questions to the above post but now I have an additional question.

When I mount the Kappas, should I run a bead of silicone between the speaker and the front of the pod or is it unneccesary? Also what about adding polyfil inside the pod?

Thanks for all the help,

Mike
No on the silicone between the speaker and the pod.

You also don't need to port the RG pods. Just take them out and run a bead to seal them and your golden.

I have used polfil and taken it out and now put it back in. I don't think it makes a difference really but psychologically it does

Old 03-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 494 Likes on 314 Posts

oh and I ran 8 gauge power and ground but 10 gauge works fine

Old 03-06-2016, 04:03 PM
beatlesfab4fan
Intermediate

Thanks Bunker, nice to know that for the money I spent I get something almost done right from the MoCo.

BTW waiting on the GoPro vids. That should be an interesting thread.

I think that I will do at least a picture intensive write up when I put the Kappas and B2 into the shark.

While they have gotten more popular in recent years, the batwing is still the big seller faring wise. I'm gone from home all this week but I think I will be tearing into it this coming weekend or the begining of next week at the latest.

Doing new head pipes as well(I gotta get rid of the heat from the damn cat. ouch!(ask me how I know)

Mike

Old 04-06-2016, 11:51 PM
G29
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Babyboy
Well Mike with your budget I would suggest ...
Infinity Kappa 62.11i. $100...
Where did you get Kappa's for $100/pair ? I have found one online place for $118/pr, but they have horrible feedback by many as a rip-off shop. Found another online place for @ $145/pr, but their feedback was not much better and they won't answer their phones.

Originally Posted by haze324
... Make sure mount the kappas on the inside of the pod and drill out a 2-3 inch port.
What specifically does the 2"-3" port do for the Kappa's (e.g. enhance specific frequency range, increase clarity, etc.)?

I mounted a set a couple of days ago (with poly fill) being driven by a BT4180 and am quite pleased with them. Some material is great with surprising bass for a 2-speaker system (not subwoofer bass), and some complex content gets a little muddled. If I could increase the clarity on those tracks, I wouldn't have any complaints (for now =).

FWIW, all music is ripped bit-perfect to Apple Lossless (read: no lossy compression) and stored on an iTouch. For grins, I may try running the music through a good external DAC straight into the BT4180 to see how clean the head unit is or isn't.

Originally Posted by Biketronics Inc
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...l#post15015589
You will always achieve much better sound with any aftermarket radio than with stock though. As a test to see if something else is going on you can get a headphone to RCA y-cable and feed the amp with a phone or Ipod, it should sound much better than the stock radio, if not there might be something wrong with the setup. That also would let you hear closer to how a aftermarket radio will sound compared to stock.

Last edited by G29; 04-07-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:20 AM
beatlesfab4fan
Intermediate

G29, not sure if you have a shark or a batwing, but the Rushmore Shark just needs to be sealed.

Tha Batwing needs to be modified and a port added so the speaker can "breathe" better. (I have been getting quite the education here BTW)

The cheapest I have found the Kappas was 137.80 yesterday on amazon with no shipping or taxes.

Mike

Also if you have a Rushmore it is highly recomended by the Guru's here(I would not be one of them but I listen to them) to use the BT355 line levelers from Biketronics and DO NOT run the AVC.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 04-07-2016, 08:10 AM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cheapest I found the kappas was sound electronix. Come out to 137 with 2 day shipping and 1 year extended warranty with discount code R2SEM20.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 PM
09FLHXrLVNV
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beatlesfab4fan...what do you mean by "not sure if you have a shark or a batwing, but the Rushmore Shark just needs to be sealed"

I'm finding after a year's time my stock speakers on my 15rgs aren't sounding the same and looking to upgrade on a budget also.

thanks, ken

Old 04-15-2016, 07:32 AM
beatlesfab4fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 09FLHXrLVNV
beatlesfab4fan...what do you mean by "not sure if you have a shark or a batwing, but the Rushmore Shark just needs to be sealed"

I'm finding after a year's time my stock speakers on my 15rgs aren't sounding the same and looking to upgrade on a budget also.

thanks, ken

Sorry, the FLH fork mounted fairing bikes are typically refered to as "Batwing" bikes, while the FLT stationary fairings are often times refered to as "Sharks".

You have a Road Glide I believe so yours is a "Shark". I did a write up on my install here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...s-install.html

It should answer most if not all of your questions about sealing the pods, where to tap the remote wire, etc.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. I had a bunch of guys here and on the other forum help me out with my questions, so if I can help someone else, its my pleasure.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
09FLHXrLVNV (04-15-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:05 PM
09FLHXrLVNV
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beatlesfab4fan
Sorry, the FLH fork mounted fairing bikes are typically refered to as "Batwing" bikes, while the FLT stationary fairings are often times refered to as "Sharks".

You have a Road Glide I believe so yours is a "Shark". I did a write up on my install here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...s-install.html

It should answer most if not all of your questions about sealing the pods, where to tap the remote wire, etc.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. I had a bunch of guys here and on the other forum help me out with my questions, so if I can help someone else, its my pleasure.

Mike
Just adding the Kappas make a difference vs OEM speakers in 15 RGS?

Quick Reply: 15 FLTRXS on a severe budget