Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Are You and Whats Your Story?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 09:13 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Who Are You and Whats Your Story?

With the new arrival and introduction of LL247 I realized that I talk to quite a few members on here and do not know much about there stories (Audio that is). I would like to here peoples back grounds as far as this audio page goes.

I will start by telling my story then nominate the next person to tell his/hers and so on.

Mines not very interesting but here goes.
I started to follow this page a few years ago, then last year with the help of everyone on here especially Gannicus I put together a system : A Kenwood Hu, 2 sets Of 5.25 Kappas and a Cerwin Vega B4 amp in the fairing. A set of Kappa 693.9i's in the bags (facing in)run by a Cerwin Vega B2. This season I am changing things up by adding a second set of 6x9's in my bags run off a CV B4 and changing out the Kappas in the fairing for two sets of JL Audio C5-525x's and a Power Acoustic RZ4 2000d amp.

Gannicus your up.

Last edited by uplandpinter; 03-03-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been on and off here since 2008. I remember when Firecap was the guy who introduced the Arc Mini amps to this place. I had 2007 Roadglide back then and it was my first HD I purchased at a dealership it and felt like a growing up experience. I had been into car audio when I was younger and would help friend install amps and boxes, but never to this extent now. I remember my first set-up on the RG was small old school alpine 3522 a/b amp I found selling on craigslist no where local for 35.00 and a set of 5.25 MB Quart speakers. I thought it was awesome!!!

Fast forward a few years and this place grew under Ultranutz mentorship. I started trying out some of the more budget set-ups......I remember some of UN's great advice, whether you have a 100.00 amp or 500.00 amp it's gonna sound the same at 80mph - like crap!! I also remember how he tried to protect dudes who's bikes were they prized possessions and saved paycheck to paycheck to upgrade their exhaust, then audio at some point. Those were the dudes who can't afford to buy crap gear. I respected that line of thinking. I ended up having issues with an amp and like many here Gannicus helped me out and sent me a set of speakers to try at no cost. Just helping a brother out.....had never even spoken to the guy. Like EP's post yesterday it was an opportunity for me to pay it forward. Between UN, Gannicus and AAWAV I started trying things out and bouncing it off these guys, sharing equipment to try out, seeking out local shops that were into competition audio and sharing/trading success stories. Enjoyed some great talks with Bill as well. Fun time from this forum was having lunch with Tailwind a few weeks back. A dude who we had battle of the wits over the internet, and now we're sitting Miami having a burger talking speakers. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Oh and to many items to list that I've tried by now....heck I just tested a new amp today!

That's my story. Who am I.....I'm a city boy from Miami.

Last edited by haze324; 03-03-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
With the new arrival and introduction of LL247 I realized that I talk to quite a few members on here and do not know much about there stories (Audio that is). I would like to here peoples back grounds as far as this audio page goes.

I will start by telling my story then nominate the next person to tell his/hers and so on.

Mines not very interesting but here goes.
I started to follow this page a few years ago, then last year with the help of everyone on here especially Gannicus I put together a system : A Kenwood Hu, 2 sets Of 5.25 Kappas and a Cerwin Vega B4 amp in the fairing. A set of Kappa 693.9i's in the bags (facing in)run by a Cerwin Vega B2. This season I am changing things up by adding a second set of 6x9's in my bags run off a CV B4 and changing out the Kappas in the fairing for two sets of JL Audio C5-525x's and a Power Acoustic RZ4 2000d amp.

Gannicus your up.
I will play along, I first junped in a little over a year ago with this: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-question.html
I was such a ********, please let me apoligize to everyone who posted to that thread. At the time I was just scared to try anything other than the Boom stuff. Plug and play alternatives at that time was either HD or the guy in Arizona who uses his initials with a "&" in between. I did not want to cut and splice wires in case I had to get warranty work done. So I left the forum and when I returned Biketronics had a plug and play kit. The kicker is that the same guys I had been so disrespectful too offered all kinds of help. I am soooo glad that HD did not fix their boom issues. Moreover, I would like to thank everybody that has helped me on my new ongoing adventure.

My name is Paul and I am a Audioholic.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Great thread.

This is the best forum for real, unsarcastic, and no dick measuring advice.

I quickly figured out that over 70 MPH everything sounds like crap so I tried to follow advice within reason.

Started with a Sony HU with iPod tune tray, ARC 125.2 and Polk MM651.

Just changed out my speakers to Infinity Kappas and I still have some tuning to do but the jury is still out.

When I'm doing any long distance touring I use Bose sound cancelling earbuds, best audio money I ever spent.

As I said, this is a lot friendlier and helpful forum than the general touring, or worse, off topic forum, a lot keyboard commandos over there.

thanks UN, Gan, AAWAV and everyone else who have PM and helped.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

This will be an easy one. I showed up on this forum around July of 2015 with absolutely no background in audio so my learning intentions were good but it was Greek at best. And to be brutally honest I absolutely had no real regard for credibility or accountability associated with forums in general.
Went to Sturgis and got all juiced up on JM Audio cause it was the only thing I had really ever touched that was better than Boom options and I could just plug it in and be done. Pulled the trigger.
Hit the Forum up with my new JM system review and got throat punched several times. Most were concerned that I punted on first down, or pissed away a bunch of hard earned money that could have delivered a better result. Soon I realized that the throat punchers were actually genuinely concerned about getting me the system that my dollars and ears deserved. Not once did someone tell me how cool their systems were. They knew what they liked and their systems matched just that. They were in no way pushing their own systems, just the products that were proven via their vast experience with endless product lines and the corporations that support such products.
My JM system left the sled and I began to work with everyone on the Forum to ask the dumb questions required to build a system that my ears liked. Not once was I sniped for being myself, which was audio illiterate. Haze, Gan, Bates, Moto, Bert, and various others spent several hours out of their lives to assist me in every regard. From product selection to the most basic wire connections, these guys always made time to be exemplary mentors and educators.
As for where I am today, I absolutely dig my system and music is the place my entire family goes to for peace.
Specifics of my system are not important at this juncture but more so the credibility and culture of this Forum.
I would consider Haze to be a good friend!!!Good friends are brutally honest at all times and I thank him for such friendship. Simply an amazing guy that has his head screwed on tighter than most folks that I have met, in every regard. Gan, Bates, Bert, and many others are on that same list and I have their 6 covered regardless of the circumstances. Shirt off the back friends for sure!! All damn good guys with amazing integrity, character, and personal & professional standards!!!
In a nutshell, I cannot thank you guys enough for the culture and integrity on this forum!!! The passion, knowledge, dedication and brotherhood/sisterhood on this "social media" communication vehicle is exemplary and hope that those who visit this arena show it the respects that it deserves.
Thank you all again for the assistance and Comradery.

T.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:52 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I can hear my stereo just fine at 80+ mph

Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Wow. . I guess I go all the way back to 05-06 when the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 was the best amp out there for our bikes. . lol. My inspiration to pay it forward on this audio forum came from Ultranutz, Harleypingman and Glacierpearl. I don't think this part of the forum would exist if it were not for those guys. Ultranutz is a freakin genius and everything I learned about Bike audio came from him. I had been dealing with audio since I was 14 but Nutz had me understand that Bike Audio is whole different animal. I was always impressed by his willingness to help other guys with their systems and I thought to myself I want to pass on everything I got from him to other guys.

Of course the guy is so humble he would say he's just a guy who loves audio. But trust me I've known a lot guys who dabble in audio professionally and he's the best I know. That said. I began buying every speaker and amp out there for the last 10 years that will fit on a bike and acquired a wealth of knowledge on my own through many many installs. Met my friends HAZE and AAWAV a few years back and the rest is history. Both audio fanatics who keep me on my toes everyday especially my friend HAZE. AAWAV travels abroad a lot for his job and we talk when we can. But HAZE and I talk audio everyday and yeah we are still buying speakers and amps. . lol

I also have many friends on this forum who I have helped and who have helped me. Sold and gave away many amps and speakers on this forum. They all know who they are. In closing I'd like to just say I'm always here to help if I can and anyone who has an audio problem can always reach out to me and my friends for help. If I can't figure it out there's some outstanding individuals around here who can. I've met some really smart guys on this forum who live and breath audio everyday. Ultranutz made this one of the greatest audio forums for a bike out there and my goal is to keep it that way.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:52 AM
old skool pan man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My story

I too like so many on this forum have spent countless hours researching bike audio. To give you a little of my background...I have been around HD ALL of my life. My father, uncle and their friends all learned to ride HD in the Army during WWII. They exited the Army and continued their love affair with HD. My Dad was" that guy" that many of you remember with the Duoglides and early Electraglides with several rows of lights, horns, radios (later 8 track) ran by a VW generator as the regular HD generator couldn't do what was needed with all of the electrical accessories. While I still have several of those motorcycles and thankfully know how to work on them mechanically...for whatever reason, I don't know "New Bike Audio" all that well. Enter Gann!! I met Gann and Haze via this forum. Both have ALWAYS answered all of my questions if it means phone calls late at night, emails, etc... I have even been fortunate enough to ride my Ultra Limited over to Indy and have Gann correct an Car Audio mistake (which was a 1K mistake). Gann installed the RIGHT equipment the RIGHT way and today I can hear my music word for word (classic rock-hip hop-R&B) at 80MPH running cams and CFR fluted mufflers...Gann has driven over to my house in Ohio several times to "update" my installs. We have become friends through this forum and our conversations about motorcycles, audio, and life in general have made me a better person. I belong to a lot of foums, HD Panhead, HD Shovelhead, HD in general and this forum is by far the absolute best in my opinion. Keep up the great work guys and gals..

Last edited by old skool pan man; 03-04-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Well - as I am IN the USA right now, i got to give you my story as well... LOL

Originally Dutch, living in the States 11 years now.
Background computer Science and electronic engineering.
Yes, as Gannicus mentioned, travelling a lot for work the last 4 months and will continue (mostly to Europe).
Joined HD about 2.5 years ago, simply to find parts read and get advise on some stuff after I bought my '13 street glide.
Found the audio section and started upgrading step by step:
1. stocker with aux to the back + Polks MM651 and RF PBR300x2. PBR Lasted about 6 months - went to bro.
2. installed Pioneer DEH9500 with BT100x control.
3. Removed BT100x due to issues with my PV1. replaced with AWSC-1.
4. Upgraded to PA RZ4.2000D, to also drive Pioneer 6x9's in HT lids
lasted about 9 months.
5. Ripped all out - BT4180-10 version (UN!), JBL p963, BT 7.1's (thanks to my friends here), Kenwood X998. RZ4.2000D went to bro again with 6.11's (thanks Haze)

That's my current setup...

Learned a lot from Ultranutz and Gannicus!
Haze I got to know since he shipped an Amp to me for Bench testing... see below...

As I am a kind of guy that needs to see it himself (OCD-ish - and I am a Taurus) and I had an offline "hot" dispute LOL with UN about Vac DDM / dialing in amps, I decided to buy an O scope and power resistors bank, etc and bench tested ("on the bike") a bunch of amps that fellow members were shipping to me including 1 Vendor! about 2 years or so ago).
see sticky. that turned my friend UN around
Also wrote the ASWC-1 install / instruction guide as I felt the manual is bad the least to say. and I LOVE the ATTN/Mute option!!!!!!!!

Where time now allows me due to my job I am answering/helping but with my 2 friends Gannicus and Haze here, as well as some newer guys, the audio part has great Experts.
Special thanks go out to Gannicus, as that man has a heart of gold.
One of the most Selflessness guys I have ever "met" (not met yet but ALL beers are on me when we do - and we will some day).

Old 03-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

My story....
Been on and off since 2010 back when Ultra Nutz was the man with the plan.

I am more of the black sheep of the forum because I'm more into the extreme audio than most and willing to try what most won't. I remember when I first said I was doing pro audio and here recently a sub on my SG and you would have thought I had a "dick" growing out of my forehead from the reaction or lack thereof. LOL! All good! I've had more holes cut and re fiberglassed and repainted than I care to mention, to accommodate various speaker/horns/tweeters and amp ideals. All in the name of being or trying something different. But I also understood the practicality and usability of audio as well as I also do a lot of riding cross country and I wanted something simple for my Limited. Part of the reason I'm running the Arc 600.4 on my Limited now with the Hertz Millie is due to the insight of the forum as a whole and from a few individuals here like Haze and Gann to name a few.

I can honestly say learned a few things from just about everyone on here old and new.

By the way my name is Sean aka QS. The Ke part is just that, Ke.....

BTW Haze hope to see you in Daytona. Will be there Wed evening.

Last edited by Kesean; 03-04-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Who Are You and Whats Your Story?