Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra $1500 budget ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Genius
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2014 Ultra $1500 budget ?

Hey guys I pop in here every so often..can't keep up with you guys.
Its dam near riding season here just south of Chicago, time to get an amp & speakers!
So with a $1500 budget I need help spending this money wisely!!
I'll be doing my own install, not a problem with that....thing is can some of you heavey hitters recommend what works best in my budget?
I'm aware of BT had his stuff on my old SG.I think it was the 380 & T2's ? With all do respect I really wasn't impressed with that 2 speaker set up.
With all the new amps and speakers plus a little work maybe I can do better than the 4180 kit, price & sound wise? So with all that said I'm ready!!
Just need to know what really works best in my price range...
Thanks, Gene

Old 02-28-2016, 12:03 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Ok, BT all the way in the front, 4180 amp with two BT-355 Line levelers , Breakout harness 7.1 speakers & Brackets (non-pro) if you are using the stock HU. In the rear Arc Moto 602's with V-twin adapters. This is what I have and I am all in for less than $1500.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...newbie-12.html

Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Genius
Its dam near riding season here just south of Chicago, time to get an amp & speakers!
I'll be doing my own install, not a problem with that....thing is can some of you heavey hitters recommend what works best in my budget?
I'm aware of BT had his stuff on my old SG.I think it was the 380 & T2's ? With all do respect I really wasn't impressed with that 2 speaker set up.
With all the new amps and speakers plus a little work maybe I can do better than the 4180 kit, price & sound wise? So with all that said I'm ready!!
Thanks, Gene
Is FM reception important to you?
How may speakers, just the four?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Genius
Cruiser

Bert, thanks for chiming in !
Yes just the 4 speakers...
FM..not that I listen to it much but it needs to work., Man I do respect and appreciate your advice. As I mentioned, can I do better than the BT kit for near the same money...?
Thanks!

Last edited by Genius; 02-29-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:57 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Bert, thanks for chiming in !
Yes just the 4 speakers...
FM..not that I listen to it much but it needs to work., Man I do respect and appreciate your advice. As I mentioned, can I do better than the BT kit for near the same money...?
Thanks!
This was going to be my suggestion that come in about $100 over your budget with forum discounts.

Arc Moto 600.4 $400
Arc Moto 602 speakers $265
Focal 165 KRC $465
BT355 Line Levelerrs (2) $135
BT Speaker Brackets $150
BT Breakout harness $80
V-Twin Tourpak Adapters $120

The only problem with this is there is not a 100% chance of retaining FM. With that said, loosing FM on the Rushmore models is less likely that previous model years.

This kit below would be about $200 over budget. This price can be cut by using a pair of less expensive drop in speakers for the tourpak. But IMO the 602's are well worth the extra $$$. Plus all the BT items have a lifetime warranty, which you probably already know.

BT4182.14 $620
Focal 165 KRC $465
BT Speaker Brackets $150
BT Breakout harness $80

What makes audio more expensive on the Rushmore models is the need for the BT Line Levelers and the BT speaker brackets. If you want a good sounding system these are a must.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:01 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks, Gene
You have an amazing budget, however. You can spend that money wisely and save some of that audio budget for other goodies for your Harley. Why don't you contact babyboy or ulranutz, ultranutz is a true audio genious and he will guide you in the right direction. I have the BT 4180 4ch amp, Titan II's on my 15 RGS, sounds "AMAZING!" Now I am thinking about adding either speaker lids or lower fairing speakers, but as for right now I am happy. $715 total~ cost~ Try to future proof your bike, get a 4 chn amp, then built up from there. BT stuff is GOOD, some may not like BT amp due to it being pre programed, I've heard some audio gurus say that they don't like BT amps because they can't tune the amp to the riders liking but I honestly don't have any complaints. BT will set you on the right track. Also, speaker lids from Moto 692 would be a nice addition for more sound but remember that riding a bike with the elements is not always an ideal setup for a high end audio just because of the fact that a motorcycle does have a "controlled" enviromet like a normal car does, in which you can control the elements by closing your windows, the audio is in enclosed enviroment and not fighting the elements... IMO you don't need to spend a lot to have good sound, Babyboy spend $400 on his system and it sounds freaking AWESOME~

Best of luck~

Last edited by chgofirefighter; 02-29-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
This was going to be my suggestion that come in about $100 over your budget with forum discounts.

Arc Moto 600.4 $400
Focal 165 KRC $465
BT Speaker Brackets $150
BT Breakout harness $80

The only problem with this is there is not a 100% chance of retaining FM. With that said, loosing FM on the Rushmore models is less likely that previous model years.

This kit below would be about $200 over budget. This price can be cut by using a pair of less expensive drop in speakers for the tourpak. But IMO the 602's are well worth the extra $$$. Plus all the BT items have a lifetime warranty, which you probably already know.

BT4182.14 $620
Focal 165 KRC $465
BT Speaker Brackets $150
BT Breakout harness $80

What makes audio more expensive on the Rushmore models is the need for the BT Line Levelers and the BT speaker brackets. If you want a good sounding system these are a must.

Good advice above~

Old 02-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Genius
Cruiser

Is there much difference between the 2 amps, I guess the lifetime warranty is a plus!
Also did ya miss the the LL's with the BT amp..or not needed with it? I think HBsoldier3
had them with his BT amp.
And..is there still potential problems with FM with the BT amp?
So it appears for the most part I'm better off with BT and upgrade the speakers..
Thanks to you also hbsoldier3!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Is there much difference between the 2 amps, I guess the lifetime warranty is a plus!
Also did ya miss the the LL's with the BT amp..or not needed with it? I think HBsoldier3 had them with his BT amp.
And..is there still potential problems with FM with the BT amp?
So it appears for the most part I'm better off with BT and upgrade the speakers..
Thanks to you also hbsoldier3!
The BT4180.14 amp comes with the LL's. BT amps are one of the best amps for retaining FM. I have only seen one complaint of loosing FM and that was fixed by changing some wiring. Rockford Fosgate amps retain FM also, but cost almost as much and have a lot less watts.

The BT4180.14 kit with 7.1 speakers is the best bang for the buck kit for Rushmore models. I would go with the 602's in the rear thou. If your handy with a soldering iron and don't mind cutting into the HU harness you can save some $$$. I had no choice when I did mine a year ago because there was no breakout harness.

You will find a couple of videos with this very setup here.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:00 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I like this set up that Bert laid out. But I would do it a little different. I'd go with the Arc Moto 600.4 amp with the Arc Moto 602's or the BT 7.1's in the fairing. Polk MM651's in the rear pods BT line leveler and the BT speaker brackets. If you can get the Arc Amp for $400 bucks. You're gonna be way below budget. (Lids come to mind) lol
The more speakers you have on your bike the better it sounds and you ALWAYS need a set of 6x9's to balance out the sound.

Arc Moto 600.4 $400
Focal 165 KRC $465
BT Speaker Brackets $150
BT Breakout harness $80

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra $1500 budget ?