Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with custom Hidden Audio on road king

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:19 PM
heiner921
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help with custom Hidden Audio on road king

so im looking to put a custom sound system on my road king. i used to have a fairing on it with a pioneer stereo and 2 pioneer 6x9 speakers. I even added the hand controls from a streetglide and a PAC Steering interface to make it all work. i decided the fairing is coming off and it will stay a true road king but i still want the tunes. so this is what i decided to do.

I want to some how mount the pioneer stereo DEH-X66BT head unitnand a amp (still undecided of which amp) in a saddle bag. I then will use the 2 6x9 speakers and mount them in speaker lids in each saddlebag. I want to uses the pioneer head unit so I can still use my hand controls to control everything. if i change the head unit, i would have to change the PAC steering wheel interface depending on the brand head unit. Anyways, i may go with 2 6x9s in each bag but is it worth it? Also i may or may not add lower fairings with speakers s well based on you forum guys persuading me or not..... so now that i gave you my back ground story here are my questions...

How to mount head unit and amp to maximize room in my bags and still keep them cool?
What Amp should i use? and 2 channel or 4 channel?
Yes or no on lower fairs with speakers?

i want a nice bad as sound system that is loud just like my exhaust

Last edited by heiner921; 02-24-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:31 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I personally wouldn't go thru the trouble of mounting a radio in the bags. I'd rather use that space for speakers. You can connect an iPod or phone to an amp and control via USB hand controls and stream any radio station you want.

As for bad *** system, you're not going to hear some 6X9's in the lids by themselves. You'll want speakers in your lowers if you want to hear this on the highway and if you want a real bad *** system consider adding some speakers in your bags too!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 AM
heiner921
Tourer

i know i can use a ipod or phone with a bluetooth amp but would have to buy a different $300 interface that acts as the headunit. i dont want to add another control **** to the handle bars. i want to keep the handlebars as clean as possible. only way i could do this without spending the big $$ was to mount the head unit right in a bag.

Although i did find this which might have helped solve my issues. id remove my handle bar controls and put the stock road king ones back on. this it might be mounted on the handlebars but it is very small and hides well.
http://www.tsukayu.com/Handlebar%20remote.html

So if i had this remote^, my ipod/phone bluetoothed to an amp, it should work?

i do plan to run an amp but what one sounds good?

Last edited by heiner921; 02-25-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:59 AM
heiner921
Tourer

to the top anyone?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by heiner921
i know i can use a ipod or phone with a bluetooth amp but would have to buy a different $300 interface that acts as the headunit. i dont want to add another control **** to the handle bars. i want to keep the handlebars as clean as possible. only way i could do this without spending the big $$ was to mount the head unit right in a bag.

Although i did find this which might have helped solve my issues. id remove my handle bar controls and put the stock road king ones back on. this it might be mounted on the handlebars but it is very small and hides well.
http://www.tsukayu.com/Handlebar%20remote.html

So if i had this remote^, my ipod/phone bluetoothed to an amp, it should work?

i do plan to run an amp but what one sounds good?
I'm trying to do the same thing.

I heard the Soundstream PN4.100d is a good amp, but Biketronics is even better. Thinking of going with the Kappa 6.5 speakers, I forget the model, 62-100?

Not sure what to use for a head unit either. I want to keep the bars clean too. I would also like to have AM-FM radio. Might have to just break down and buy a RG!