Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio quality bike started vs not started?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:56 PM
ep120794
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

So on a pre-Rushmore bike w/ aftermarket head unit, does this mean the amp puts out more voltage when the motor is running? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ep120794
So on a pre-Rushmore bike w/ aftermarket head unit, does this mean the amp puts out more voltage when the motor is running? Just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.
All amps will put out more power when running.

When engine is off electrical system is only getting battery voltage.
When the engine is running the electrical system is approximately 14.5 volts because of the charging system give or take a little.

This is why it is recommended to set amp output while engine is running

Old 02-16-2016, 06:28 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Being a former manager for a Moco dealership I had a chance to sit with the service manager and a laptop to experiment on the rushmore bikes last season. Basically we ran through all the available flashes, checked the .BIN files on and off for hours. This was before the BT line leveler came out of course (not even considering the 'magic box'). The ultimate goal was finding the flash that would have both on and off .BIN files that had the flattest eq curve and kept the sound processing to a minimum. On several flashes the bike sounded great, then we fired it up...different story. We were watching the head unit switch files as soon as we started the bike, very frustrating. Some say HD did it to optimize the sound system, I'm convinced it was a way for them to try and handcuff us to their crappy, overpriced audio equipment. To this day I love swinging by the service department jamming knowing my setup can eat the Boom stuff for lunch.

Ultimately I opted out and sold my Boom infotainment system to a customer...had enough messing with it.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:41 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LL247
Being a former manager for a Moco dealership I had a chance to sit with the service manager and a laptop to experiment on the rushmore bikes last season. Basically we ran through all the available flashes, checked the .BIN files on and off for hours. This was before the BT line leveler came out of course (not even considering the 'magic box'). The ultimate goal was finding the flash that would have both on and off .BIN files that had the flattest eq curve and kept the sound processing to a minimum. On several flashes the bike sounded great, then we fired it up...different story. We were watching the head unit switch files as soon as we started the bike, very frustrating. Some say HD did it to optimize the sound system, I'm convinced it was a way for them to try and handcuff us to their crappy, overpriced audio equipment. To this day I love swinging by the service department jamming knowing my setup can eat the Boom stuff for lunch.

Ultimately I opted out and sold my Boom infotainment system to a customer...had enough messing with it.
Good info, thanks for sharing!
Sums it up right there.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo141
Good info, thanks for sharing!
Sums it up right there.
I'll admit, the BT leveler makes a HUGE difference now over the former stock HD radio flash-a-palooza...just wanted rid of the whole dang mess!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:06 AM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LL247
I'll admit, the BT leveler makes a HUGE difference now over the former stock HD radio flash-a-palooza...just wanted rid of the whole dang mess!
Agreed

At first I kind of balked at the price differential between the BT355 and a plain old Line Out Converter. But after hearing from Bill and everyone around here, I decided to bite the bullet and buy one.

I'm glad that I did. Good purchase for sure.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I am going through setup now that I installed the equipment. I've always noticed a difference in sound with the bike off, much more noticeable since the amp and speaker install. Reading through numerous threads and setting the gains with the bike running sounds good while running down the road, what I see is if you happen to pull up somewhere with system "cranked up" and use the kill switch the radio gets louder causing distortion (more bass). If this is the way it has to be then so be it, I will just have to turn the volume down a few clicks before turning the bike off.

I stopped in at one of my local dealers and the 3 guys at the counter thought I was crazy. I haven't stumbled upon the fix in the forums or I haven't searched enough. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Stock HK nav
Hertz HCX 165
Cerwin Vega B52
Biketronics LL's
Biketronics speaker mounts (removed pods)

Thanks to Haze for helping me get this setup!
The sound is off the chart when riding, friends can hear my radio over their radio and loud exhaust.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BOARGAURD
I am going through setup now that I installed the equipment. I've always noticed a difference in sound with the bike off, much more noticeable since the amp and speaker install. Reading through numerous threads and setting the gains with the bike running sounds good while running down the road, what I see is if you happen to pull up somewhere with system "cranked up" and use the kill switch the radio gets louder causing distortion (more bass). If this is the way it has to be then so be it, I will just have to turn the volume down a few clicks before turning the bike off.

I stopped in at one of my local dealers and the 3 guys at the counter thought I was crazy. I haven't stumbled upon the fix in the forums or I haven't searched enough. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Stock HK nav
Hertz HCX 165
Cerwin Vega B52
Biketronics LL's
Biketronics speaker mounts (removed pods)
You should always turn the volume down before turning the bike off, because when you start it back up you don't want that sudden surge of power going through the system and to the speakers.

The gains should always be set with the bike running.

Does the HU have the stock flash?

Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
You should always turn the volume down before turning the bike off, because when you start it back up you don't want that sudden surge of power going through the system and to the speakers.

The gains should always be set with the bike running.

Does the HU have the stock flash?

Oh, I do turn it down when I turn the ignition off, I'm talking about the kill switch on the handlebar. Yes gains were set with bike running, DMM and downloaded audio file as instructed in the thread "setting by ear or dmm"

Yep, radio has been untouched since purchase last October.

Very happy with sound I just wish it could be the same running as not running.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by BOARGAURD
Oh, I do turn it down when I turn the ignition off, I'm talking about the kill switch on the handlebar. Yes gains were set with bike running, DMM and downloaded audio file as instructed in the thread "setting by ear or dmm"

Yep, radio has been untouched since purchase last October.

Very happy with sound I just wish it could be the same running as not running.
There is a different BIN file that controls the output. One for when it is on ACC and another for when the bike if running. This is the way it was designed and there's nothing you can do about it. I don't notice it on my 2015 UL.
This issue was beat to death before the BT LL's came out.

On another note, I never shut my bike off with the kill switch.