Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Observation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:02 PM
M16pilot
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default An Observation.

I have been in car audio for almost 30 years. Built and competed in car audio shows. I am also the USACi 2002 SQ world champion. So I do know audio. That being said.

It puzzles me that in the Rushmore bikes, Which I have a 2015 Street Glide. From what I have been reading you need need a dealership down load, or special box to add an amp to the bike. Doesn't an amplifier just do that amplify the signal it is given? Amp are just that unless you get one with additional processing capabilities. How does the bike know you added an amp? It just seems like a way to get more money from you, either from the stealership or an aftermarket company.

Tim

Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The Rushmore radios have a very aggressive EQ curve built into them to make the stock equipment sound better than they ever have. It works great with all stock equipment but compared to a good amp and speakers it still sucks. You don't want to amplify a signal that has already been amplified.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Probably something to do with the fussy Can-Bus system. Dozens of updates and still buggy. just a SWAG.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by M16pilot
So I do know "car" audio.

Tim
Tim, fixed it for you

The new rushmore HU are a different animal than your regular Alpine HU. The system is set up to send a different signal based on the settings or "flash" as it is referred to. If you amplify that signal it will sound like crap unless you "flash" the radio to no amp or if you use a box to "level" or flatten that signal (curve) as much as possible. To make matters worse the system is set up to send a different signal whether your bike is on or off. So yes, you either need to flash your bike....which doesn't always work properly and may need updating as software updates are downloaded to your radio or use one of these boxes. It is a way to get more money from you from the dealership as this points many folks to just upgrade to the Boom set up which also has tons of issues and is extremely overpriced. What you see from other companies are work arounds and some work damn well.

Last option rip that radio out and put an Alpine in there....but a double din won't fit. They made sure it wouldn't (without heavy modification).

Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 492 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
The Rushmore radios have a very aggressive EQ curve built into them to make the stock equipment sound better than they ever have. It works great with all stock equipment but compared to a good amp and speakers it still sucks. You don't want to amplify a signal that has already been amplified.
^This

here, check this out. Explains it better than I can
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/suppo...i=&p_topview=1

Now you can either try dealer flashes, it seems to be hit or miss as the dealer might screw up and flash incorrectly or you can alter the signal coming out with some sort of LOC, EQ or processor.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by M16pilot
It just seems like a way to get more money from you, either from the stealership or an aftermarket company.

Tim

Bingo!