Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomboAT65
Should be back a BT tomorrow. Hope it doesn't take too long. Chuck, don't forget the washer and make sure you seal your pods. And don't forget the washers for the mounting bracket.
Started the install yesterday. I had the 2 washers stapled to the additional instruction sheet. It didnt address where they went, so I put them under the 1/4x20 bolts that hold the amp bracket on.

I think the 1-2 hour install listed in the instructions is a bit optimistic.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:12 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, washers under 1/4x20 bolts. I ran a new ground wire back to the battery, using 10 gauge wire. I also cut the grommets off of the stock speaker harness to plug the holes in the pods. Will have my amp back today and have it kicking tonight.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, washers under 1/4x20 bolts. I ran a new ground wire back to the battery, using 10 gauge wire. I also cut the grommets off of the stock speaker harness to plug the holes in the pods. Will have my amp back today and have it kicking tonight.
I did the same thing with the grommets into the speaker pods. I hope to finish it up this evening after work.

I grounded to the same 1/4x20 bolt mentioned earlier, per the instructions. Now I'm questioning if I should run the ground to the battery too.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucks1911
I did the same thing with the grommets into the speaker pods. I hope to finish it up this evening after work.

I grounded to the same 1/4x20 bolt mentioned earlier, per the instructions. Now I'm questioning if I should run the ground to the battery too.
I ask Bill at BT about running the ground to the battery. His opinion is that the radio mount ground is better. Not trying to **** anybody off, but that is what he said.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I ask Bill at BT about running the ground to the battery. His opinion is that the radio mount ground is better. Not trying to **** anybody off, but that is what he said.
Yes, but the "WHY" it's better is what's important, did he share with you why he thought this? And, did he say it was better for all amps or just the BT line?

My guess is that's it's a combination of BT amps efficiency and ground wire length.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:57 PM
Babyboy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 469 Likes on 394 Posts

There is nothing better than grounding to the source(battery) or as close to possible.
The HU is grounded thru the harness with the largest wire being an average of 12 gauge or less. You should have at least the same size ground as the positive.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer

You should be just fine on the bracket bolt. Personal preference really, I did it hoping maybe it would resolve the issues I was having and now I might as well keep it there.

The problem with grounding farther away from the amp, is you add resistance in the power loop. Albeit, it might be minimal considering gauge of wire and the length of wire you are using. So what you would see if you increase the resistance in the power loop, is less operating voltage to the amp. Now on a bike where you are within 3-4 feet it shouldn't be a major factor, less than .5v. But in a car or something else where the distance is greater and you are using say 8 or 6 ga wire, you could be in the range of 1-2v.

One other thing, I picked up some fairly cheap conduit to put around the speaker and power wires, just to clean things up a bit. Will post a completed pick this afternoon.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:22 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Yes, but the "WHY" it's better is what's important, did he share with you why he thought this? And, did he say it was better for all amps or just the BT line?

My guess is that's it's a combination of BT amps efficiency and ground wire length.
Ya, he said why, but he was speaking in French. I have no idea what he was talking about. Maybe you should call him and then explain it to me.lol

Old 02-16-2016, 02:26 PM
TomboAT65
Tourer

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Ya, he said why, but he was speaking in French. I have no idea what he was talking about. Maybe you should call him and then explain it to me.lol

Old 02-16-2016, 03:10 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

You should be just fine on the bracket bolt. Personal preference really, I did it hoping maybe it would resolve the issues I was having and now I might as well keep it there.

The problem with grounding farther away from the amp, is you add resistance in the power loop. Albeit, it might be minimal considering gauge of wire and the length of wire you are using. So what you would see if you increase the resistance in the power loop, is less operating voltage to the amp. Now on a bike where you are within 3-4 feet it shouldn't be a major factor, less than .5v. But in a car or something else where the distance is greater and you are using say 8 or 6 ga wire, you could be in the range of 1-2v.

One other thing, I picked up some fairly cheap conduit to put around the speaker and power wires, just to clean things up a bit. Will post a completed pick this afternoon.
Great info!

Quick Reply: Help me out here