Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 Motos 602

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 01:27 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 6.5 Motos 602

Today I finished installing my Lowers with speaker pods/baskets. I put Arc Motos 6.5 in the lowers with CVO grills.

I had to slightly reem out the Moto speaker mount holes in order to get the Motos and the CVO grills and the HD speaker basket pre-drilled holes to perfectly align. That was no big deal.

I soldered the speaker wires right to the speakers spades for solid connections.

I then disconnected my pro series biketronics upper fairing speakers from the BT2180 and plugged in these Motos to hear what everyone was talking about.

The sound quality, clarity, and pounding instruments that came out of these speakers was remarkable. I have to say vey much in line with my Biketronics Pro-series speakers.

I'm familiar enough with "garage testing speakers" and on the road tests at 80 Mph. I've been there multiple times with other vendors speakers.
While I don't know for sure how these will perform on the road, I do know that with what I have been exposed to audio wise since 2009 that these mother ****ers pound!

I can't wait to hook up my 7.1 Pro-Series pair in the upper fairing and combine them into my Sound Stream 1000D amp with these 6.5 monsters in the lowers and hit the Highway.

Next step is to remove the BT2180 And install the SS p4. 1000D.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:00 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Why not try them in parallel first. You may be surprised at the outcome.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 PM
Gliden
Club Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Why not try them in parallel first. You may be surprised at the outcome.
Well the honest answer is I just wanted to hear them solo and compare them to my Pro-series alone.

And also to make sure they worked out the box. Lol

Next weekend I'll remove the 2180 and see how far I get installing the 1000d.
The size of the 1000D has me a bit intimidated. I can't just stick it to the Sony headunit like I did the 2180.

This puppy is 10 or 11 inches ( depending how you measure it) x 8 inches.
It needs support and I think a shelf.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I agree with SBates, run them in parallel for a test. The amp is already setup for it. Just run some wire form the back of the amp to the speakers. This way you can compare the sound with the 1000D.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:49 PM
LL247
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm definitely paying attention to this thread for 2 reasons:

1. Planning on putting an extra set of lowers in the garage on my RG to run 2 pair of speakers up front, and I was thinking 7.1s and 602s

2. The comparison of pulling the 2180 for the PN1000...since I'm pulling my PN1000 in favor of the 4180

I had the PN1000 pushing a pair of 602s and 692s and it sounded good. Did an install with 602s and a 2180 and it sounded fantastic. My SS amp has run a total of 6 or 7 total speaker setups (lost count LOL) and after getting the proper test equipment I've realized it's the weak point in the system. Great value, a lot of power for the money, solid build...but does not put out clean power like a BT amp. I agree with the other gents here, try the BT amp and speakers in parallel first. Less clean power is better than more distorted power.

Good choice on a speaker setup, looking forward to hearing your opinion. As you've already seen, the 602s are a beast.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by LL247
I'm definitely paying attention to this thread for 2 reasons:

1. Planning on putting an extra set of lowers in the garage on my RG to run 2 pair of speakers up front, and I was thinking 7.1s and 602s

2. The comparison of pulling the 2180 for the PN1000...since I'm pulling my PN1000 in favor of the 4180

I had the PN1000 pushing a pair of 602s and 692s and it sounded good. Did an install with 602s and a 2180 and it sounded fantastic. My SS amp has run a total of 6 or 7 total speaker setups (lost count LOL) and after getting the proper test equipment I've realized it's the weak point in the system. Great value, a lot of power for the money, solid build...but does not put out clean power like a BT amp. I agree with the other gents here, try the BT amp and speakers in parallel first. Less clean power is better than more distorted power.

Good choice on a speaker setup, looking forward to hearing your opinion. As you've already seen, the 602s are a beast.
I am also considering adding lowers to my 2008 SG and a pair of 602's. I currently have the Mille Pros in the fairing with with the BT2180. The plan is to run both pairs off the BT amp. So I am interested in hearing what others have experienced running two pair of power hungry speakers off of the one BT amp.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Gliden
Club Member

Bates what's the worst that will happen running 4 ohm speakers in parallel?
I really don't want to damage anything cause it's all high quality stuff.
I just don't know enough about 4 ohm vs 2 ohm vs running 4 speakers off a 2 ch amp etc.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gliden
Bates what's the worst that will happen running 4 ohm speakers in parallel?
I really don't want to damage anything cause it's all high quality stuff.
I just don't know enough about 4 ohm vs 2 ohm vs running 4 speakers off a 2 ch amp etc.
As long as the all four speakers are 4 ohm and the amp is 2 ohm compatible, which the BT2180 is, it should be perfectly safe. Now the rule of thumb when running speakers in parallel is both sets of speakers should have a similar sensitivity rating. Otherwise the higher sensitivity speaker could get louder faster and possibility drown out the lower sensitivity speakers. The BT Pro's are rated at 92.5dB and the 602's are rated at 88dB. Quite a difference. Rule of thumb suggests that these speakers should not work well together. Saying this, Gann ran these two sets speakers together in parallel and was very satisfied with how they performed together. I don't remember what amp he was using at the time thou. So I think it's worth a try.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:05 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

^ yes.

I would not run these speakers in parallel. Spec wise (and sound wise) they are very different. There's a reason why Gann isn't running them in parallel any longer. Would you run a 6.5 and an 8 in parallel? You could and it would "work", but what if one speakers should be crossed at 80hz and the other at 50hz.

I would run the 1000D, before running the 2180 in parallel with this speaker set up. What you give up in sound quality (and I don't mean distortion) you gain in volume output, low end, and gain and HPF controls.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Question

Originally Posted by haze324
^ yes.

I would not run these speakers in parallel. Spec wise (and sound wise) they are very different. There's a reason why Gann isn't running them in parallel any longer. Would you run a 6.5 and an 8 in parallel? You could and it would "work", but what if one speakers should be crossed at 80hz and the other at 50hz.
I stand corrected. I was not aware of the negative results. And no, I don't know the answer to this question. "what if one speakers should be crossed at 80hz and the other at 50hz."

Quick Reply: 6.5 Motos 602