Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.5 Motos 602

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
I stand corrected. I was not aware of the negative results. And no, I don't know the answer to this question. "what if one speakers should be crossed at 80hz and the other at 50hz."
Bert, not saying you can't....and I agree it would be perfectly safe --- but you shouldn't. In this scenario you'd have to cross the speakers at the highest level for the 80hz speaker, robbing the other speaker of low end freqs it could produce. ON TOP of one being having a higher sensitivity of 3db (which means you need half as much power for every 3db). You can also run it as low as needed then run a capacitor to cross the other one but it get's tricky.

So, just use the 4 channel amp

Old 02-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I stand corrected as well if I implied I ran these two speakers in parallel. I have always had a 4 channel amp. When I ran the Mille's and the Moto's together. I ran them off the sound stream 1000D. The Mille's off the front channel with lower gain settings and the Moto's off the rear channel with higher gain settings. Worked out great with a four channel amp!

Now I think where the confusion came in at is my initial amp I ran the the Mille's with is the Cerwin Vega B52. But I ran all my other speakers off the SS TN4.900 in parallel and ran the Mille's alone with the B52. Pushing 200 watts to those speakers they flat out screamed!!

As Haze said. If I was going to run the Mille's in parallel I would make sure the other set of speakers had the same sensitivity so they would both get loud at the same time.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
Bert, not saying you can't....and I agree it would be perfectly safe --- but you shouldn't. In this scenario you'd have to cross the speakers at the highest level for the 80hz speaker, robbing the other speaker of low end freqs it could produce. ON TOP of one being having a higher sensitivity of 3db (which means you need half as much power for every 3db). You can also run it as low as needed then run a capacitor to cross the other one but it get's tricky.

So, just use the 4 channel amp
Ok, now I understand where frequencies come into play when running in parallel. Thank you for the lesson and describing it at a beginners level.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
I stand corrected as well if I implied I ran these two speakers in parallel. I have always had a 4 channel amp. When I ran the Mille's and the Moto's together. I ran them off the sound stream 1000D. The Mille's off the front channel with lower gain settings and the Moto's off the rear channel with higher gain settings. Worked out great with a four channel amp!
So many changes and so little memory.
Ok, then a BT amp might not be the best choice in this case if running the Mille's and Moto's up front (2008 SG) because if the lack of gain adjustments. Or could the Kenwood 998 compensate for this?

Now I think where the confusion came in at is my initial amp I ran the the Mille's with is the Cerwin Vega B52. But I ran all my other speakers off the SS TN4.900 in parallel and ran the Mille's alone with the B52. Pushing 200 watts to those speakers they flat out screamed!!
Thank you for the recap. I'm sure I added to the confusion.

I am in the planing stage of adding more speakers and another amp. Originally I planed on putting a four channel amp up front and move the BT2180 to one of the bags to power lid speakers. So I think this plan is sound. Now I need do decide on a 4 channel amp. I also like the idea of giving these speakers 200watts but I don't know of an amp that will deliver that and fit under the fairing.

As Haze said. If I was going to run the Mille's in parallel I would make sure the other set of speakers had the same sensitivity so they would both get loud at the same time.
Got that now.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:19 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
I am also considering adding lowers to my 2008 SG and a pair of 602's. I currently have the Mille Pros in the fairing with with the BT2180. The plan is to run both pairs off the BT amp. So I am interested in hearing what others have experienced running two pair of power hungry speakers off of the one BT amp.
Any chance you could make a short video of your SG with the Millie's and 2180? Before adding the lowers.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Alrighty then......Gliden will Be pulling his 2180 and will be installing the SS pn4:1000D this weekend

Stay tuned. (Get it?)

Old 02-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TcHunter
Any chance you could make a short video of your SG with the Millie's and 2180? Before adding the lowers.
Yes, there's one in this thread.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:17 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gliden
Alrighty then......Gliden will Be pulling his 2180 and will be installing the SS pn4:1000D this weekend

Stay tuned. (Get it?)
Got it, looking forward to the results.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:43 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Gliden I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in any of these posts, what HU are you using?

Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Gliden I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in any of these posts, what HU are you using?
I use the Sony Mex70 BT. I really like this unit.

Quick Reply: 6.5 Motos 602